• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

The Clemson guy on ACCN said State has the upper hand in the Atlantic because they've beaten Clemson and Wake hasn't. Fair point, but I think Clemson has established that beating Clemson isn't some impossible task and Miss State established that State isn't some amazing world beater.

The Clemson guy on ACCN said State has the upper hand in the Atlantic because they've beaten Clemson and Wake hasn't. Fair point, but I think Clemson has established that beating Clemson isn't some impossible task and Miss State established that State isn't some amazing world beater.

I don't think that matters if we beat State. And I like our chances.

Why wouldn’t beating State matter for the division race?

Wake jumped 21 spots to #32 in ESPN's FPI after last night.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

Projected record: 8-4
Chance of getting 6 wins: 98.5%
Chance of winning the Atlantic Division: 9.7% (Clemson at 75.1%, State at 11%)
Chance of winning the ACC Championship: 4.1% (Clemson at 57.1%)
Chance of making the CFP: 0.2%

I assume this will be updated in the morning with today's results.

Looks like accolades are rolling in.

Auerbach’s Top 10: Alabama continues to roll, Arkansas crashes the party and Wake Forest (!) may be the class of the ACC https://theathletic.com/2849277/202...arty-and-wake-forest-is-the-class-of-the-acc/

8. Wake Forest (4-0)

Are the Demon Deacons the best team in the ACC? I … think so? It’s either them or Boston College, which is not a great sign for the league as a whole, but it’s a fun development for those of us who love nontraditional teams breaking through. Wake Forest has scored the most points through four games in school history, and though the “Claw-fense” may annoy some football fans with that slow mesh, it also gives it a distinct identity. And it also allows us to use the term “Claw-fense,” which is a win in my book.

Last edited:

Auerbach’s Top 10: Alabama continues to roll, Arkansas crashes the party and Wake Forest (!) may be the class of the ACC https://theathletic.com/2849277/202...arty-and-wake-forest-is-the-class-of-the-acc/

8. Wake Forest (4-0)

Are the Demon Deacons the best team in the ACC? I … think so? It’s either them or Boston College, which is not a great sign for the league as a whole, but it’s a fun development for those of us who love nontraditional teams breaking through. Wake Forest has scored the most points through four games in school history, and though the “Claw-fense” may annoy some football fans with that slow mesh, it also gives it a distinct identity. And it also allows us to use the term “Claw-fense,” which is a win in my book.

While I appreciate the notice, it is such bullshit that the college football world is so stuck in the pre-established narrative that it is "not a great sign for the league as a whole" when teams like Wake and Boston College are good.

Why doesn't the same apply to UNC? Wake and BC have as much football tradition as they do.

If we beat State and lose to Clemson and we all have no other losses in conference then it will matter. But that is very unlikely to happen.

8. Wake Forest (4-0)

Why would our offense "annoy" some fans? Lots of teams run the RPO, we just try to make our run/pass decision at the last moment to try to take the most advantage of it. Seems like even with praise there is always some subtle shot because it's LOWF.

While I appreciate the notice, it is such bullshit that the college football world is so stuck in the pre-established narrative that it is "not a great sign for the league as a whole" when teams like Wake and Boston College are good.

Why doesn't the same apply to UNC? Wake and BC have as much football tradition as they do.

because college football is a business I guess

Why would our offense "annoy" some fans? Lots of teams run the RPO, we just try to make our run/pass decision at the last moment to try to take the most advantage of it. Seems like even with praise there is always some subtle shot because it's LOWF.

It is annoying because it is effective, and neutralizes some athletic advantages that some defensive players otherwise can use. If you had the all-American 4star or 5star linebacker you’d find it annoying to see him handicapped in decision making.

Season is setting up perfectly for State to come into our game against them with high expectations and then immediately shit the bed

We just need to avoid falling prey to thinking we are all that. UNC comes off UVA thinking they are world beaters and got smacked in the mouth so hard they are toothless at this point.

It is annoying because it is effective, and neutralizes some athletic advantages that some defensive players otherwise can use. If you had the all-American 4star or 5star linebacker you’d find it annoying to see him handicapped in decision making.

The slow mesh RPO takes advantage of the quarterback's ability to read defenses and to freeze defenders. As a fourth year guy, Sam has gotten really good at this. If you look at play charts, Sam looks to be above 90% correct on his reads.

Most football players are Nuke Laloosh. They have incredible physical talent. Defensuve players are also used to reacting quickly to what the offense does with the ball. The slow mesh RPO neutralizes them by requiring them to do nothing for seconds to be most effective. If the defender does something quickly, the slow mesh RPO chosen option makes it the wrong thing.

As long as the Wake offensive line gives Sam time, he can beat almost any defense. Th slow mesh RPO is in trouble when the defensive line overpowers the offensive and crushes the mesh. So far, the "Beef Boys" have done a great job of protecting Sam.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ate-Michigan-Oklahoma-171789543/#171789543_12

247 Sports has us in the Peach Bowl now against Notre Dame ..

Projected matchup: Wake Forest vs. Notre Dame
Who is the current ACC frontrunner now that Clemson appears to be dethroned atop the conference? The Demon Deacons are the only unbeaten team with two wins in conference play to start and is one of the most veteran squads in college football. Why not Wake Forest as the projected ACC champion? It's too early to tell, but the Demon Deacons control their destiny with N.C. State, Clemson and North Carolina left on the slate, among others. Notre Dame is surging and a win over Cincinnati next week puts the Irish in the national championship hunt.

Back