• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

FWIW, VT went through the motions against Richmond on Saturday. Only scored 21 points (7 on a punt return) and gained only 320 yards. They have a week off, and then host ND on November 9. Lane Stadium will be rocking (and ND is not as a good as their ranking). If VT wins that game, Fuente will be fine with two signature wins in 2021.

I would much prefer my coach to have decent relationships with opposing coaches regardless of the circumstances. It does a coach no good to have a lot of issues with opposing coaches. But the feelings of stakeholders for each institution is a different story. When some or lots of institutions maintain an atmosphere designed to constantly avoid, break and obfuscate the rules then fan bases of institutions trying their level best to not cheat are going to have some antipathy for the cheating institutions, as they should.

Thanks for the info Conor. I'd love to know more about the Clawson / Dave Cutcliffe relationship, which has always seemed cold at best.

Cutcliffe telling his players to feint injuries to slow our tempo two years ago was as Busch league as it gets.

Cutcliffe telling his players to feint injuries to slow our tempo two years ago was as Busch league as it gets.

I was at that game and the weather was absolutely miserable. It is the only time in my life that I've booed during an "injury". Even without the benefit of seeing replays on tv it was super obvious what was going on. Everyone in that stadium knew exactly what was happening.

I, for one, would be content with another 20+ point win with a dominant 1st half and getting to the end of the game without further injuries.

This has been the best and most refreshing part of our season so far. Of my running list of things I like about this year's team this has to be at the top so far. Not something we get to see very often even with our better teams, and especially not back to back ACC games.

I was at that game and the weather was absolutely miserable. It is the only time in my life that I've booed during an "injury". Even without the benefit of seeing replays on tv it was super obvious what was going on. Everyone in that stadium knew exactly what was happening.

Yup. Our seats are behind the visitor sidelines and we were booing mercilessly. A few duke fans were glaring at us at first but some of the players etc on the sideline were smirking about it. They knew. And after about the fifth time even the dooshy duke fans seemed to realize it was complete BS.

I assume our dramatically improved social media presence is a direct result of Currie being at the helm. The highlight reel films they have been putting out for each game are awesome. They just dropped the UVA one and it’s really great quality and exposure.

I've been to many, many games at Groves Stadium. I've been there for games when it was raining and I've been there for games when it was cold. But I have never been to a game when it was raining so hard and that cold at the same time. It was miserable.

I wasn't there for Duke, but can't imagine it was any rainier/colder than Vandy in 2009 after Thanksgiving. From the ESPN writeup:

A persistent rain, wind and a temperature dipping into the upper 30s led to a half-filled stadium and plenty of sloppiness in a game involving two teams that came in mired in late-season slumps.

I swear the wind chill/"real feel" temp was about 25.

I don’t really do games in the rain but the 2006 VT game (the infamous throwaway game before MD) was definitely the coldest for me. With the added bonus that my friends and I were shirtless so we could paint ourselves. I’ve had few less enjoyable experiences.

I've been to many, many games at Groves Stadium. I've been there for games when it was raining and I've been there for games when it was cold. But I have never been to a game when it was raining so hard and that cold at the same time. It was miserable.

Growing up, my family had Giants season tickets and I've spent many tailgates trying not to freeze to death in a Meadowlands parking lot, so I can handle the cold. Rain bothers me a little bit more, but I can deal. But put the two together at the levels they were at during that game? It was easily the worst weather for any sporting event I've attended anywhere. It sounds weird to say it, but I wish it was colder so it at least would have been snow.

We drove over from Durham with some Duke alum friends of ours and went to Fiddlin' Fish before the game. I think we waited until like 5 minutes before kickoff to even head over to the stadium in desperate hope that the weather would change. IIRC, the rain let up early in the second half. My willingness to tolerate the expected Duke shithousery is already very low, but the weather certainly didn't help.

The rainiest game I can remember was this one in 2016:

It was during Hurricane Matthew, and it just poured rain for hours before the game. I think the rain stopped at some point during the game, but it definitely rivaled the rain during that Duke game. Probably wasn't as cold though.

it wasn't super cold, but the FSU game from two years ago was pretty miserable. I think a tropical storm or something was moving through? there were no hotels available in town, maybe due to parents weekend or homecoming, so we just drove home after, soaking wet, and getting home at like 2 am. at least we won.

it wasn't super cold, but the FSU game from two years ago was pretty miserable. I think a tropical storm or something was moving through? there were no hotels available in town, maybe due to parents weekend or homecoming, so we just drove home after, soaking wet, and getting home at like 2 am. at least we won.

the famous post-game where Clawson talked about practicing with wet balls all week (TMI?!) and Willie Taggart, asked what his prep was, responding, "we had sunny weather this week in Tallahassee"

Oh yea....AIR, the steady rain started just before halftime. Gawd it was damp, windy and cold. After the game I sat in my car for like 45 minutes with the heat on max blower trying to dry out. At least we won....

That was one of the easier under bets of all time. Sometimes rain can benefit the offense, but torrential tropical storm rain makes pretty much every team without a dominant OL grind to a halt.

The Clemsons of the world are fucked. 4 star bench riders want to play. The playing field across college football is going to even out. The collegial family atmosphere Clawson exudes is attractive. Welcome to the portal.

Back