• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

Yeah. Doesn’t mean we owe him a series.

No, but add the “in the family” AD to an appealing road location and an appealing opponent for our more patriotic fanbase and there are factors that make the series attractive.

We had a discussion about the Army series before the season. Some people said the NYC Deacs have a lot of pull in keeping that series going. I guess it makes sense, but they could drive a few hours more to Cuse every other year instead.

Also important to remember Clawson doesn't have a good record coming off of a bye week.

I've been to a game at Army. And while I've never been to a game at the Carrier Dome, I have been to Syracuse.

There is no comparison. I can't imagine anyone choosing Syracuse over West Point for attending a game.

But still, we play Army way too much.

But Pitt's lowest offensive output of the year is 28 this past weekend against Va Tech. Their defense has laid a couple of eggs for sure.

Pitt is -3 at home against Clemson this weekend with an O/U of 48. That will be interesting and probably similar to the Clemson-NC State game.

Both will be fairly similar to our game against Clemson.

With the brain trust here I would like to ask a question.

Is Christian Anderson (QB) playing this week for Army? He has missed the last 2 games with a bad shoulder and he is the real runner on the team. I haven't seen any updates on him other than he was going to miss the Wisconsin game.

2nd Question. Can anybody explain how Cincinnati is getting all this love? They play in a terrible conference and it is mostly layup city for them every week. I know they are a good team and they did beat ND but Miami (Oh), Temple, Murray State, Indiana, UCF. That ain't murderer's row. They have Navy, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU and ECU left. I guess when they get the hell kicked out of them in the playoffs we can just say, "I told you so."

Is Christian Anderson (QB) playing this week for Army? He has missed the last 2 games with a bad shoulder and he is the real runner on the team. I haven't seen any updates on him other than he was going to miss the Wisconsin game.

2nd Question. Can anybody explain how Cincinnati is getting all this love? They play in a terrible conference and it is mostly layup city for them every week. I know they are a good team and they did beat ND but Miami (Oh), Temple, Murray State, Indiana, UCF. That ain't murderer's row. They have Navy, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU and ECU left. I guess when they get the hell kicked out of them in the playoffs we can just say, "I told you so."

Based on their preseason ranking they had nowhere to go but up as teams ahead of them lost and they kept collecting cupcake Ws.

Based on their preseason ranking they had nowhere to go but up as teams ahead of them lost and they kept collecting cupcake Ws.

Which is why preseason rankings are a joke and we need a playoff system that limits subjectivity.

I don't know about Anderson but wish I did.

And yeah, the UC thing is getting ridiculous. They've not done anything any better than go undefeated like the Michigan and Oklahoma teams. Beating an obviously mediocre Notre Dame team and a B1G cellar dweller should not get you into the current CFP under any circumstances. I really don't see it as a resume that should get you into an expanded playoff either.

Which is why preseason rankings are a joke and we need a playoff system that limits subjectivity.

Agreed. If you can pay players, which I'm fine with, then you sure as heck can have a legitimate playoff system with a minimum of 12 teams.

PhD is 99.9 % correct. Also, in the deep seated mix is an interest all around to put a G5 up against the P5s just to see what happens. Every interested party, WF and the ACC included, is convinced of the outcome which supposedly will settle some arguments -- for a day or two.

It is that factor in all this that is especially troubling IF you're a 13-0 WF (or possibly a 12-1 WF with an ACCC and the other real contenders with 2 losses). Surely, reason would prevail. WF's SOS is far superior to Cincy's.

If I had to bet I would say we wouldn't see Anderson. They play Air Force after a bye after our game and the commander in chief trophy is the most important to them. He didn't even travel to Wisconsin.

The relative position of undefeated teams shows the ridiculousness of preseason rankings. There's certainly nothing to justify Cincy being higher significantly ranked than Michigan, Michigan State, or OK State or ranking Coastal above Wake and significantly above SMU and UTSA.

Agreed. If you can pay players, which I'm fine with, then you sure as heck can have a legitimate playoff system with a minimum of 12 teams.

A 12 team playoff would be extremely subjective. I was thinking an 8 team playoff with the P5 champs and the top three ranked of the following: Independents ranked in the Top 8 and G5 champs.

Cincy has played the 95th toughest schedule in college football to date. It's roughly as tough as Wake's schedule so far at #102 and we know how ridiculously easy our schedule has been so far. The difference is that Cincinnati's schedule is getting easier for the rest of the season while Wake's will get harder, even including Duke.

Cincy has played the 95th toughest schedule in college football to date. It's roughly as tough as Wake's schedule so far at #102 and we know how ridiculously easy our schedule has been so far. The difference is that Cincinnati's schedule is getting easier for the rest of the season while Wake's will get harder, even including Duke.

Cincy played a 3 game schedule: hosting Indiana (who is bad this year), at ND and hosting SMU. For every other Cincy opponent, the Bearcats need to just show up. FWIW, UCF looked to be legit, but their star QB went down against L'ville, and now UCF can't beat anyone.

According to Football Outsiders, Coastal has played the easiest schedule in the country this year by far. To date, Coastal has played 4 FBS opponents (there are 130 FBS teams):

#130 UMASS
#125 KS
#119 ULM
#117 ARKANSAS STATE
#96 BUFFALO (who Coastal beat by 3)

Tulane is 0-5, and if Coastal played Tulane, the Green Wave would be Coastal's toughest opponent to date. Coastal doesn't deserve to be ranked, more than half the FBS teams would be unbeaten versus that schedule. Coastal plays App. State (#47) tomorrow (Wednesday) after that, their toughest game left is #96 South Alabama. Sorry, but that schedule renders you ineligible for a ranking or any kind of legit consideration for rankings or bowls (other than conference tie-ins). Teams transitioning to FBS play tougher schedules. Understand that Bama and Oklahoma aren't offering to play home and home with Coastal, but even so if Coastal wants to be considered a legit FBS program, they have to play at least a couple of top 40 teams, even if that means playing a guarantee game. BYU played at Coastal last year; Coastal should've played in Provo this year.

First CFP rankings come out 2 weeks from today. I'd expect Cincinnati to come in somewhere in the 6-8 range, which is good - play a real schedule, and then you can be in the playoff conversation.

Our undying love affair with Army predates Mike Buddie by many years. We've been playing them forever. I assume the DC collects a bonanza of donations from the yuppies on the boat ride up the Hudson. Other than that I really don't get the appeal of this series but if Clawson's good with it then so am I.

Back