• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

Buddie has only been the Army AD since 2019 and this game has been scheduled since at least 2015 from what I was able to dig up on the interwebs (Wellman referenced it in a 2015 Gold Rush), so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with him.

Buddie has only been the Army AD since 2019 and this game has been scheduled since at least 2015 from what I was able to dig up on the interwebs (Wellman referenced it in a 2015 Gold Rush), so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with him.

Could have everything to do with why we don't get out of it.

Mike Buddie is the ADat Army. He basically hired Clawson before he left Wake for Furman.

Now you are just whining.

You don't like Liberty because it is a conservative, evangelical Christian institution. You have every right to not to like it, or to not agree with its values or principles. But to say that it is an "abhorrent institution" and that Wake should never schedule it as an opponent in sports (because you don't like it) just makes you come off as foolish, petty and intolerant.

How do you determine someone/something to be abhorrent if not by its values or principles.

Could have everything to do with why we don't get out of it.

Maybe so, but the simpler explanation is probably that the AD doesn't want to cut a fat check to break the contract and canceling a game with one of the service academies has really bad optics. Tennessee was rightly dragged for pulling this move earlier this year.

I guess I'm foolish, petty and intolerant too, not that evangelical Christian institutions would know anything about that. But that's not why it's an abhorrent institution. Here's one of an infinite number of reasons why WFU should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

The Washington Post is a very left leaning institution so I can see why they would abhor Liberty. Yes Jerry Falwell Jr. has many issues and they should have kicked him out of the school much sooner than they did. That being said to act like Liberty is the only institution with bias is funny to me while I see other colleges cancelling speakers every week because they didn't conform to that university's bias.

The Washington Post is a very left leaning institution so I can see why they would abhor Liberty. Yes Jerry Falwell Jr. has many issues and they should have kicked him out of the school much sooner than they did. That being said to act like Liberty is the only institution with bias is funny to me while I see other colleges cancelling speakers every week because they didn't conform to that university's bias.

Every week?

Now you are just whining.

You don't like Liberty because it is a conservative, evangelical Christian institution. You have every right to not to like it, or to not agree with its values or principles. But to say that it is an "abhorrent institution" and that Wake should never schedule it as an opponent in sports (because you don't like it) just makes you come off as foolish, petty and intolerant.

this is rich

Name other schools we play that have such restrictive social policies for their students

We shouldn't. Do you think they returned our playbook?

As I recall the Army coaches were never disciplined (fired) for their involvement. In comparison, the academies have a long history of kicking out cheating students. Most likely this hypocrisy was caused by Army finally having a competent football coaching staff pointed in a positive direction. It would be interesting to know if this failure to discipline ultimately led to the former AD leaving and Mike Buddie being hired.

Wellman scheduled Army because it's a respectable non P5 school with a lot of fan that will buy tickets locally. Should be a win most years. When we are struggling to get bowl eligible, a game against Army suits everyone. Same with the rest of the cupcakes. Most years those easy wins were the difference between going to a bowl and staying home.

2020: Campbell got us bowl eligible
2019: Rice, Elon, and Utah State were the OOC - three wins in an 8-4 season. I can see us making a bowl with tougher opponents that year
2018: Tulane, Towson, and Rice - 3 wins in a 6-6 season
2017: Presbyterian, Utah State, and App - 3 wins in a 7-5 season
2016: Tulane, Delaware, Indiana - 3 wins in a 6-6 season

As I recall the Army coaches were never disciplined (fired) for their involvement. In comparison, the academies have a long history of kicking out cheating students. Most likely this hypocrisy was caused by Army finally having a competent football coaching staff pointed in a positive direction. It would be interesting to know if this failure to discipline ultimately led to the former AD leaving and Mike Buddie being hired.

Jay Bateman was fined $25,000 and suspended for football activities for 2 weeks during spring practices; the money was the same amount that the ACC fined Louisville and Virginia for their involvement.

The football staff ... is the same. The former AD ... is the AD at N.C. State.

So Wake Forest should obviously never play N.C. State now.

Back