• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

Hartman, Bothroyd and Redd ACC Players of the Week at their respective positions. The receiver of the week is from UVA and had 168 yds/2 tds. Guess those 11 yards are more important than Roberson's extra td (he had 157/3).

Re-watched on YouTube.

Anderson, although he just flew around grasping at air a lot, had a huge tackle on 3rd and 8. That put them in 4th and 4 and then equally as important as Redd's pick, was Bothroyd doing the hands in the air, butt surfing, I "never touched the guy" move not to get called for block in the back.

That sequence won the game for us.

Also, Chase Jones was forced to play safety and that messed us up with the 12 men on the field. It really did not impact us crushing that play on 4th down.

Hazen was out there with Quincy Bryant, which means we were OUT of linebackers and safeties. Hazen looks like a player.

I would love to have #40 fullback for Army on our team. They always have at least 1 dude like that. 6 feet tall, 250 pounds, and a complete bull dozer. He was killing our guys at the second level.

I really hope and wonder if Clawson is considering demoting Hemphill, at least in responsibilities if not in title. Give Cohen a shot at the job, or even Williams or Crawford. There's just no way the product on the field could be any worse, and it could significantly improve. Clawson fired Jay Sawvel in 2018 after giving up 56 points to ND. Since that time, we've given up 56+ points 4 more times, and have given up 40+ points 8 total times. That doesn't even include poor, barely sub-40 point performances like Louisville and Cuse this year.

tOSU demoted long-time assistant and well-respected DC, Kerry Coombs, after getting wrecked by a relatively mediocre Oregon offense, turning the play-calling duties over to relative no-name Matt Barnes. Everything still to play for at that point in terms of B1G and National Championships. They haven't really played anyone good since then, though Maryland had a high powered offense early in the year, but results have been staggeringly better since the Tulsa game.

I understand not wanting to rock the boat on an undefeated team, but I think Clawson owes it to the players to try a different direction than one that has proven so ineffective now for over 3 years. Hemphill can still be very involved - but let someone else be responsible for the primary scheme and play calling.

Hazen was out there with Quincy Bryant, which means we were OUT of linebackers and safeties. Hazen looks like a player.

One thing that caught my eye re: Hazen - stumbled across a tweet from his mom from the day before the game that said "He should make it on the field tomorrow!!" which tells me these were known depth issues.

Not in the position to draw any conclusions from this, but something concerning for sure.

One thing that caught my eye re: Hazen - stumbled across a tweet from his mom from the day before the game that said "He should make it on the field tomorrow!!" which tells me these were known depth issues.

Not in the position to draw any conclusions from this, but something concerning for sure.

5 guys on the defensive depth chart (plus Greer, who warmed up) did not play a snap - in a game where depth was needed at all 11 defensive positions

I really hope and wonder if Clawson is considering demoting Hemphill, at least in responsibilities if not in title. Give Cohen a shot at the job, or even Williams or Crawford. There's just no way the product on the field could be any worse, and it could significantly improve. Clawson fired Jay Sawvel in 2018 after giving up 56 points to ND. Since that time, we've given up 56+ points 4 more times, and have given up 40+ points 8 total times. That doesn't even include poor, barely sub-40 point performances like Louisville and Cuse this year.

tOSU demoted long-time assistant and well-respected DC, Kerry Coombs, after getting wrecked by a relatively mediocre Oregon offense, turning the play-calling duties over to relative no-name Matt Barnes. Everything still to play for at that point in terms of B1G and National Championships. They haven't really played anyone good since then, though Maryland had a high powered offense early in the year, but results have been staggeringly better since the Tulsa game.

I understand not wanting to rock the boat on an undefeated team, but I think Clawson owes it to the players to try a different direction than one that has proven so ineffective now for over 3 years. Hemphill can still be very involved - but let someone else be responsible for the primary scheme and play calling.

Have total confidence in Clawson to handle his coaching staff in the best interests of the program. He's shown that he will shuffle the staff and/or terminate assistant coaches when merited. The reflex move for fanbases is always to fire or demote someone. Clawson is aware that is an option, but he will assess all of the options, and choose the best course. FWIW, think that defensive performance on Saturday was a confluence of factors:

a) injuries
b) offense scoring at the quickest pace in program history
c) army's offense
d) error's in scheme/prep
e) talent on hand

Have no idea how to allocate the percentages on each of those factors, but Clawson does.

It may make the WF fanbase feel better for a couple of days if Hemphill is publicly called out by being fired or demoted, but Clawson will choose the course enhances the probability of improvement. If Clawson determines that means Hemphill stays, trust the process.

Please stop it on the Liberty dog shit. Who doesn't know a large proportion of Evangelical Xtians have gone bat shit crazy especially in The South. Jesus and Trump both Republicans. I'd never play shit against the American Taliban.

Have total confidence in Clawson to handle his coaching staff in the best interests of the program. He's shown that he will shuffle the staff and/or terminate assistant coaches when merited. The reflex move for fanbases is always to fire or demote someone. Clawson is aware that is an option, but he will assess all of the options, and choose the best course. FWIW, think that defensive performance on Saturday was a confluence of factors:

a) injuries
b) offense scoring at the quickest pace in program history
c) army's offense
d) error's in scheme/prep
e) talent on hand

Have no idea how to allocate the percentages on each of those factors, but Clawson does.

It may make the WF fanbase feel better for a couple of days if Hemphill is publicly called out by being fired or demoted, but Clawson will choose the course enhances the probability of improvement. If Clawson determines that means Hemphill stays, trust the process.

Yeah, this is probably the right call. But these defensive issues under Hemphill are also not new - gave up 40+ in the last 3 games last year, including the UNC disaster.

Yeah, this is probably the right call. But these defensive issues under Hemphill are also not new - gave up 40+ in the last 3 games last year, including the UNC disaster.

we were probably playing without 12 of our defensive starters that game

Please stop it on the Liberty dog shit. Who doesn't know a large proportion of Evangelical Xtians have gone bat shit crazy especially in The South. Jesus and Trump both Republicans. I'd never play shit against the American Taliban.

WHAT HE SAY

we were probably playing without 12 of our defensive starters that game

Yeah and let’s be honest - UNC’s offense was very strong last year - 4 of those guys are playing on Sunday’s now and IIRC- we still had a good chance of winning that game despite giving up points. Think we went three and out on 3 straight drives in the second half for them to come back down 21 or 24 (I’ve blacked it out). Offense couldn’t get a first down to save our lives - recall we had some big drops that shoulda been 1st downs and I think I hit my ahead against the wall because Sage would’ve caught all those balls. Point being - defense did OK in that game all things considered.

Some love from Herbie- wow- sky is falling.

What’s the backstory of why he hates on us? Didn’t he play for tOSU against Air Force when Grobe was on staff and Lobo was a player? I recall some sour grapes on the orbit/cut blocking.

So I know that the major programs pay(?) for the cupcake games, but does every home team pay for OOC home games, and if so, does the rate depend on how bad the opponent is?

Don't know the answer but Tennessee had a $1.4 million guarantee to Army and paid them $800K to drop the game, then will pay the replacement, Akron, $1.5 million. (I may have the million dollar figures reversed.)

Offensive Player of the Week: Sam Hartman, Wake Forest QB
Hartman completed 23 of 29 passes for 458 yards and five touchdowns in a stunning 70-56 shootout win at Army. Wake Forest finished with 638 yards on just 52 plays for averages of 12.2 yards per play and 1.3 points per play. The Demon Deacons had just 17:17 of possession, meaning they averaged a point every 14.8 seconds (including a pick-six). Wake Forest is 7-0 for the first time since 1944. — Chris Vannini

https://theathletic.com/2911961/202...k-8-honors/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Back