• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

seeing VT and Cuse get primetime games in those CFA classics confirms that WF is getting outmaneuvered in scheduling

reminder - next season our showcase OOC game is at Vanderbilt

But don't tell that to the contingent defending the games scheduled against Army.

as I've posted before, fucking Boston College has games with Bama and Ohio State on the docket

Louisville has a home-home set up with TAMU. State figured out how to get both Florida and UGA to come play in Raleigh. Pitt has Wisconsin on the books. VT has Purdue, Rutgers, South Carolina, Maryland, Arizona, Alabama, and Wisconsin all scheduled.

But yes, let's continue to fondle our balls and play at Army every other year.

Again, he was talking about yardage, not points. In fact he specifically mentioned that we are still in the top half of the conference in points allowed, despite the Army game here:

"The nature of what we do on offense, we’re probably never going to have a top three-or-four defense, if you look at yardage. If you look at stop rate, our defense was one of the best in the ACC going into last weekend. If you look at scoring defense, we’re still in the top half, even after giving up 56 points. Our yardage numbers are never going to be in the top five. When you play the way we play on offense and snap the ball quickly, play counts are going to be up. If play counts are up, yardage totals are going to be up."

This is from Les' transcript and I switched a comma for a period to make it clearer. (hope I'm not crossing boundaries by using this quote)

Yeah, I mean ... I should've changed the word in the post I quoted.

I wanted to point out that Strnad explained to me two years ago why they'd never have a top-5 defense, and that it was because of the offense. But it's one thing for a 23-year-old linebacker to say it (as smart as Justin is) and it's another for Clawson to explain it on the record. That was the significance I wanted to highlight.

As an aside, thanks for using the term 'transcript.' I asked the question to get that answer from Dave; I like to take a little credit where I can for asking questions that get insightful answers.

Our current and upcoming non-conference schedule has been set for years and almost all of the games in the next 6-7 years were negotiated by Ron Wellman. One more indication of just how poorly he was doing his job (unrelated to just our BB program) while collecting an enormous salary in his own right.

Yeah, I mean ... I should've changed the word in the post I quoted.

I wanted to point out that Strnad explained to me two years ago why they'd never have a top-5 defense, and that it was because of the offense. But it's one thing for a 23-year-old linebacker to say it (as smart as Justin is) and it's another for Clawson to explain it on the record. That was the significance I wanted to highlight.

As an aside, thanks for using the term 'transcript.' I asked the question to get that answer from Dave; I like to take a little credit where I can for asking questions that get insightful answers.

I didn't mean to misquote Coach, so thanks to you and Neurodeac for setting me straight. That is a significant difference (my bad) but I still thought it was an interesting discussion.

Geez dude. Satterfield did the same thing. Get over it.

I didn't mean to misquote Coach, so thanks to you and Neurodeac for setting me straight. That is a significant difference (my bad) but I still thought it was an interesting discussion.

It absolutely is, and it's one that isn't exactly news to some -- it's just news that it's on the record now.

There's an acknowledgement that as long as you want to play up-tempo offense and be a developmental program, your defense is going to be bend-don't-break. It places a premium on turnovers -- "Turnovers are gold around here" was the Tra Redd quote last week -- and sometimes the best you can hope for is 500ish yards against teams like UVA and Louisville. One of those games WF held a team two touchdowns under its next-lowest point total; the other, the team had 2 points more than its average.

Sometimes it's going to work better than other times.

(there's a lot of this that's the gist of a story I'm working on now that should be up sometime tonight)

It absolutely is, and it's one that isn't exactly news to some -- it's just news that it's on the record now.

There's an acknowledgement that as long as you want to play up-tempo offense and be a developmental program, your defense is going to be bend-don't-break. It places a premium on turnovers -- "Turnovers are gold around here" was the Tra Redd quote last week -- and sometimes the best you can hope for is 500ish yards against teams like UVA and Louisville. One of those games WF held a team two touchdowns under its next-lowest point total; the other, the team had 2 points more than its average.

Sometimes it's going to work better than other times.

(there's a lot of this that's the gist of a story I'm working on now that should be up sometime tonight)

Plenty of Big 10 teams have hung their hats on stifling defense and middling offense (Iowa, Wisconsin, others). Why isn't a dominant offense and a middling defense acceptable?

We do need to remind ourselves that even the almighty Tide has given up 48, 46, and 41 in the last two years. Offense is just king these days, and likely always will be, at least in college.

I thought it was funny!

Also funny that we’re now living rent free in the heads of opponents who never used to think of us at all before.

Anybody know where I can find a Wake youth football jersey online? Looking for a b-day present for my 8 year old.

The Wake ad on Facebook is telling everyone to come see the 16th ranked Deacons and that’s sad.

Our current and upcoming non-conference schedule has been set for years and almost all of the games in the next 6-7 years were negotiated by Ron Wellman. One more indication of just how poorly he was doing his job (unrelated to just our BB program) while collecting an enormous salary in his own right.

Teams get out of games. It can be done. In fairness to Wellman, those Wake teams when Clawson was hired had no business playing good out of conference teams. Things have changed, and the out of conference schedule should as well

Last edited:
Back