• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

Luiji Vilain

Hadn't heard much about him yet but don't be surprised if he has a very good year. A 4 Star DE/DL out of h.s. with offers from USC, UGa, Tex A&M, Miami, Nebraska, in addition to Michigan.

His production hasn't matched his ranking yet. Maybe it was a scheme thing at Michigan, but I am actually pretty bullish on the transfers coming in to the secondary. KJ, Malik and Isaiah all have been productive at their previous stops, and the secondary has been an area of need for some time now.

"His production hasn't matched his ranking yet."

I think this happens a lot, like Groulx in our case.

It seems Clawson wants to play Valain inside? Maybe he wasn't playing his ideal position at Michigan?

We'll see.

Once a player steps on to the field recruiting rankings and offers are meaningless, it's all about production. See Michael Allen.

Villain is pretty light (listed weight: 253) for interior D-line. When I heard he committed to Wake I thought he might transition to linebacker at that size.

Villain is pretty light (listed weight: 253) for interior D-line. When I heard he committed to Wake I thought he might transition to linebacker at that size.

Agree. Pretty sure he’ll be an edge rusher.

"His production hasn't matched his ranking yet."

I think this happens a lot, like Groulx in our case.

It seems Clawson wants to play Valain inside? Maybe he wasn't playing his ideal position at Michigan?

We'll see.

different story in terms of Groulx vs Vilain. Groulx was given every opportunity and didn't really do a whole lot with it. Vilain missed his first two seasons with torn ligaments in his knees and when he finally was healthy Kwity Paye(1st round draft pick this year), Aidan Hutchison(almost a surefire 1st rounder in next year), and Taylor Upshaw(breakout player) took pretty much all the end snaps.

I don't think he'll be Boogie level, but from watching him against Robert Hainsey(3rd round pick this year) he can hang when healthy.

No idea where the idea of him playing inside is coming from, don't think I've ever heard clawson mention that. He will be battling JaCorey Johns.

Missed the news that Greene is out for the season. That really stinks.

different story in terms of Groulx vs Vilain. Groulx was given every opportunity and didn't really do a whole lot with it. Vilain missed his first two seasons with torn ligaments in his knees and when he finally was healthy Kwity Paye(1st round draft pick this year), Aidan Hutchison(almost a surefire 1st rounder in next year), and Taylor Upshaw(breakout player) took pretty much all the end snaps.

I don't think he'll be Boogie level, but from watching him against Robert Hainsey(3rd round pick this year) he can hang when healthy.

No idea where the idea of him playing inside is coming from, don't think I've ever heard clawson mention that. He will be battling JaCorey Johns.

Pretty excited about *potential* depth on D. It would be cool to see some guys rotated in an out every few possessions, especially with the pace of the offense being what it is.

I’d really like to see a more efficient offense. Shorter 3rd downs, more 3rd down conversions, fewer 3 and outs, just more sustained drives overall. Part of that may be by necessity without KWIII and Greene as home run threats. CBS and Roberson lend themselves to possession football.

I look forward to fall camp reports. I hope some freshman like Fields ends up being game ready and a home run threat.

Yep, we need Williams, Fields, or Banks to emerge by mid-season as the next in a line of extremely solid Wake WRs of late. Seems like we could have a glut of slot guys with Roberson, Morin, & Williams. Do we know if Roberson is staying at slot after the Greene news or moving outside? Don't really think Morin can be near as effective outside of the slot, while Roberson seemingly would do well out wide.

I look forward to fall camp reports. I hope some freshman like Fields ends up being game ready and a home run threat.

Agreed. Has Fall practice started? Would love to read reports on positive surprises.

Yep, we need Williams, Fields, or Banks to emerge by mid-season as the next in a line of extremely solid Wake WRs of late. Seems like we could have a glut of slot guys with Roberson, Morin, & Williams. Do we know if Roberson is staying at slot after the Greene news or moving outside? Don't really think Morin can be near as effective outside of the slot, while Roberson seemingly would do well out wide.

I've been wondering this for a while. He is tall and fast, so it seems like it would be a natural move. I think I read somewhere, might have been from Cam, that he absolutely destroys zone coverage. That might be enough of a reason to keep him inside, but you would also like to see the best 3 on the field, regardless of where they line up.

Roberson won't be moved. Skinnydeac to your statement about Roberson against zone: " Robertson recorded 340 receiving yards from finding a gap in zone coverage — No. 2 in the FBS. He averaged 7.6 after the catch vs. zone defense"

Morin is the interesting one because frankly I have no idea and I think it depends on the development of Ke'Shawn Williams. Your Z receivers are usually smaller, and quicker and you'll see from time to time(since they're a flanker) end up with their routes going over the middle like the slot would while your slot receiver ends up deeper and closer to the sideline. So that's where the staff feels like they can maximize Roberson, no sense in messing with what's broken if you already have plans for his routes to end up outside anyways.

I'll have a projected depth chart up tomorrow on BSD for the offense(and then defense Wednesday) but here's how I have the WRs right now:

I think Donald Stewart has/will earn the starting spot at the X receiver(Greene's position). He's not as fast as Donny obviously so that hurts. But he is a great route runner, can still get down the sideline and most importantly to me, he has the size that pressing him doesn't matter all that much at 6-4, 206. Think Jahmal Banks will back him up.

At Z I *think* AT Perry and Morin battle it out. Morin is better underneath and has more snaps, but Perry brings the straight-line speed in order to take some of the pressure off of Roberson and even the X receiver depending on the depth of the routes. Could just end up being a matter of what they want to do on that given day, do you want to use your height to your advantage for explosive plays or bank on the route running? Multiple ways to skin a cat here.

Agreed. Has Fall practice started? Would love to read reports on positive surprises.

Fall camp starts Thursday; there's a media day for us on Wednesday. So there will be plenty of coverage in the coming days.

If Cam's projected depth charts aren't enough, I've got a big ole "10 storylines to track in fall camp" coming tomorrow morning.

To add: Media is allowed to cover practices again, which is a big deal for coverage.

Last edited:
Roberson won't be moved. Skinnydeac to your statement about Roberson against zone: " Robertson recorded 340 receiving yards from finding a gap in zone coverage — No. 2 in the FBS. He averaged 7.6 after the catch vs. zone defense"

Morin is the interesting one because frankly I have no idea and I think it depends on the development of Ke'Shawn Williams. Your Z receivers are usually smaller, and quicker and you'll see from time to time(since they're a flanker) end up with their routes going over the middle like the slot would while your slot receiver ends up deeper and closer to the sideline. So that's where the staff feels like they can maximize Roberson, no sense in messing with what's broken if you already have plans for his routes to end up outside anyways.

I'll have a projected depth chart up tomorrow on BSD for the offense(and then defense Wednesday) but here's how I have the WRs right now:

I think Donald Stewart has/will earn the starting spot at the X receiver(Greene's position). He's not as fast as Donny obviously so that hurts. But he is a great route runner, can still get down the sideline and most importantly to me, he has the size that pressing him doesn't matter all that much at 6-4, 206. Think Jahmal Banks will back him up.

At Z I *think* AT Perry and Morin battle it out. Morin is better underneath and has more snaps, but Perry brings the straight-line speed in order to take some of the pressure off of Roberson and even the X receiver depending on the depth of the routes. Could just end up being a matter of what they want to do on that given day, do you want to use your height to your advantage for explosive plays or bank on the route running? Multiple ways to skin a cat here.

Thanks. I thought I remembered that right. Now, can you please explain why uNC doesn't count as a conference game? (Just kidding)

Another factor to consider is speed on the outside and Clawson stated he thinks Morin is the fastest WR on the team. Will be good to rotate size (AT Perry) with speed (Morin) at that position given the scenario.

Regardless, I continue with my biggest (and only) gripe of Clawson/WR Coach is recruiting WRs to one position. I know some receivers learn two positions as they get older (Sage, Bachman), but wish guys like Perry, Morin, Banks, Stewart learned both outside positions from the get-go so you could mix and match those guys on the outside. Would be great to have Perry on one outside with Morin on the other, then Jaquarii in the middle.

Fall camp starts Thursday; there's a media day for us on Wednesday. So there will be plenty of coverage in the coming days.

If Cam's projected depth charts aren't enough, I've got a big ole "10 storylines to track in fall camp" coming tomorrow morning.

To add: Media is allowed to cover practices again, which is a big deal for coverage.

Thanks Cam and CO. With the loss of DG, it will be interesting to see what the offense does. Can Morin carry the load and be that solid second option (he actually had more catches than DG last year) or will it be AT or one of the younger guys. Also if we can't be the pass first team we were, who will help carry the load with CBS. Justice only had 30 carries last year. We also get Turner and maybe he can be that 100 carry or more back.

I don't like the idea of relying heavily on Stewart. Groulx had more catches than Stewart last year, and its not like the competition for snaps was that tough. I think what we really are going to need to see is a change in the offense. Hartman is not a threat to run in the RPO, we don't have the lineup to go 4 wide right now. I would love to see some different offensive setups that will play more to our strengths.

I am actually more bullish on defense than I have been in a long time. I like our tackles and I think our backfield has solid potential.

Back