• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I Just Got "Stimulated"

How is establishing the bureaucracy and having the politician fights to determine who gets aid more efficient than just sending people money? “Targeted aid” risks leaving people out as some weird way to pretend that our government doesn’t redistribute resources to people who don’t need it.

I don't think income is necessarily the best way to identify pandemic related need, versus enhancing the existing safety net programs to help people in need. Im just not a believer in this idea of "stimulus" in this situation. Thats not the issue here as the OP suggests. That was just a silly point to make....Im not sure how buying a TV will help the out of work personal trainer whose gyn is closed.

It's really not that hard. "Covid relief" money should go to people who need "relief" because of "Covid." I would have liked the benefits to be higher and more directly focused on people who need relief because of Covid. I cannot fathom how that could be unpopular.

It’s moronic to assume a household who made $160K is doing well in a 2020 pandemic.

I was all like “how the fuck can a household making 160k be having money issues” and then I realized that not everyone lives in rural Appalachia.

Joe Biden’s economic advisor said that $2000 stimulus checks would “overheat” the economy , while the pandemic has created 56 new US billionaires.

Summers was advising the Biden campaign this year, Bloomberg reported, but will not take a role in the Biden administration.

Progressive groups in May urged Biden to drop Summers, criticizing the former treasury secretary's economic policy record.

From this piece where he elaborates a bit his thinking.

How is establishing the bureaucracy and having the politician fights to determine who gets aid more efficient than just sending people money? “Targeted aid” risks leaving people out as some weird way to pretend that our government doesn’t redistribute resources to people who don’t need it.

God damnit I agree with PH.

It's really not that hard. "Covid relief" money should go to people who need "relief" because of "Covid." I would have liked the benefits to be higher and more directly focused on people who need relief because of Covid. I cannot fathom how that could be unpopular.

This is the same bro cool with rolling into next season with Teddy B.

All making sense now

I Just Got "Stimulated"

Imagine thinking that a $2,000 bonus earned by working is the same thing as a $2,000 handout from the government. I think that tells me all I need to know...

You said enough right there. Opinions like yours deserve insulting and more.

I’m not upset that I didn’t get $600 checks, but I do wish the people who need it more had received a lot more.

And, I really wish the Saints had kept Teddy.

Just so everyone is clear, the pandemic has incurred far more extensive costs than just unemployment. The notion that we’re all just chilling at home saving up money from our vacation and entertainment budgets is fucking stupid and wholly inaccurate.

Just so everyone is clear, the pandemic has incurred far more extensive costs than just unemployment. The notion that we’re all just chilling at home saving up money from our vacation and entertainment budgets is fucking stupid and wholly inaccurate.

this

I’m not upset that I didn’t get $600 checks, but I do wish the people who need it more had received a lot more.

And, I really wish the Saints had kept Teddy.

You get to buy my beer and wings, then.

I was all like “how the fuck can a household making 160k be having money issues” and then I realized that not everyone lives in rural Appalachia.

2019 was two years ago. They made that past tense. I know people who were probably making that in 2019 but are probably barely making ends meet now.

The “fairest” way to do it would be to give the money to everyone now, and then take some (or all) of it back from higher earners when they file their 2020 taxes. But even Congress is smart enough to realize that most higher earners wouldn’t have the self control to not spend it.

Requiring <$150k per year household income is far from a fair method to award those who are in real need of dollars to help with their monthly bills. There are thousands of retired individuals who “earn” yearly way less than that who frankly don’t need the money as much as those so adversely affected by the pandemic. A better way might be for the IRS to provide “stimulus” for those under a certain dollar of net worth, say $100K. But then again I’m not sure how difficult that would be to ascertain.

Back