• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I Just Got "Stimulated"

DeacsPop

Resident Old Man
Reaction score
Noticed our $1200 deposited into our checking account this morning.
I am amazed it came so quickly. Time to figure how to spend it and get it back into the economy.
Now if they could only figure a way to vaccine my ass.

Last edited:
I am amazed it came so quickly. Time to figure how to spend it and get it back into the economy.

Have you considered spending it on stock buy backs?

These stimulus checks are infuriatingly stupid. I cannot understand why people who are not out of work due to Covid are receiving checks. The federal government should have sent the funds to state unemployment agencies to be distributed in a way that actually makes sense.

These stimulus checks are infuriatingly stupid. I cannot understand why people who are not out of work due to Covid are receiving checks. The federal government should have sent the funds to state unemployment agencies to be distributed in a way that actually makes sense.

Put your smooth brain to work and try to imagine an American citizen who is impoverished and *not receiving* unemployment benefits.
2881e8faa2da697018dcf67b1b6eac8f.jpg

Joe Biden’s economic advisor said that $2000 stimulus checks would “overheat” the economy , while the pandemic has created 56 new US billionaires.

I wonder if someone who makes minimum wage would have a different opinion.

You could donate it

Imagine thinking that a $2,000 bonus earned by working is the same thing as a $2,000 handout from the government. I think that tells me all I need to know about the person who's first reaction is to always hurl insults.

I think we should be helping people who lost earnings through no fault of their own. I do not think we should send free money to people who have been unaffected by the pandemic. I also think we should raise the minimum wage, but we're discussing Covid relief.

Seems like it would take much longer to get to people that way.

My idea has been the same this whole time. Give out direct payments to everyone. Then people who made over $100K a year would owe it back in their 2020 tax returns.

The whole idea of a stimulus check is just the complete wrong tool for this scenario unfortunately. The economy doesn’t need to be stimulated. People who have money don’t have anywhere to spend it and are saving at record levels. People who are out of work or under severe financial distress will get zero value out of $600. Pathetic. I get that the first round was a bit of a chaotic process by necessity but it’s crazy to me that we couldn’t or wouldn’t devise a better system for enhanced unemployment or more targeted aid with this much less time. Instead I saw plenty of friends being gifted $2,400 (or more with kids) that they absolutely didn’t need. Rant over.

probably need to interrogate "handout" a bit here if we're going to be honest

The whole idea of a stimulus check is just the complete wrong tool for this scenario unfortunately. The economy doesn’t need to be stimulated. People who have money don’t have anywhere to spend it and are saving at record levels. People who are out of work or under severe financial distress will get zero value out of $600. Pathetic. I get that the first round was a bit of a chaotic process by necessity but it’s crazy to me that we couldn’t or wouldn’t devise a better system for enhanced unemployment or more targeted aid with this much less time. Instead I saw plenty of friends being gifted $2,400 (or more with kids) that they absolutely didn’t need. Rant over.

Was about to say something similar. We don't have an aggregate demand problem. These solutions are just horribly inefficient. We need to target aid to help to people who cant pay the rent, mortgage, utility bills, etc. $600. $2000. $10000. Just silly debate....

who hasn't been affected by the pandemic

I had to start teaching from home which required upgrading my internet so my zoom connection wouldn't drop and my electric/water bills shot up, all a result of the pandemic

I make just over minimum wage and that 600 is much needed, tbh.

We don’t need “stimulus.” We need relief for people who are in desperate situations due to a horrible economy that cannot handle a pandemic. We don’t need “paycheck protection.” We need to protect people.

I saw someone using their stimulus check to buy lobsters and they were driving a brand new Mercedes.

I agree with WRS. I would much rather see the people who actually need help get more of it and the people who have been mostly unaffected or who can afford the effects to receive nothing. Sending checks to households making $160,000 in 2019 is moronic. Sending only $600 to someone who has been essentially unemployed this entire time is insufficient. There was a better way to do this.

Was about to say something similar. We don't have an aggregate demand problem. These solutions are just horribly inefficient. We need to target aid to help to people who cant pay the rent, mortgage, utility bills, etc. $600. $2000. $10000. Just silly debate....

How is establishing the bureaucracy and having the politician fights to determine who gets aid more efficient than just sending people money? “Targeted aid” risks leaving people out as some weird way to pretend that our government doesn’t redistribute resources to people who don’t need it.

I agree with WRS. I would much rather see the people who actually need help get more of it and the people who have been mostly unaffected or who can afford the effects to receive nothing. Sending checks to households making $160,000 in 2019 is moronic. Sending only $600 to someone who has been essentially unemployed this entire time is insufficient. There was a better way to do this.

It’s moronic to assume a household who made $160K is doing well in a 2020 pandemic.

Back