• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kenneth Walker and Trey Rucker enter Transfer Portal

Look on the bright side. We could be Duke. Their losses are awful. Everybody worth a shit is leaving. As for Walker, do what you got to do. Glad all these athletes are free. Beats the hell out of the no pay plantation system we have left behind. Now have the rights all students have. He doesn't need to give us a reason.

Meh, IDK man. You really think a revolving door is good for College Football? I agree that they should be compensated to some degree, but to freely transfer every year will destroy the sport.

in a world of millionaire coaches, $20+ million dollar buyouts, fat TV contracts -- all for a sport that affects kids' longterm quality of life -- I have a hard time getting mad at a kid for swapping schools for any reason

Meh, IDK man. You really think a revolving door is good for College Football? I agree that they should be compensated to some degree, but to freely transfer every year will destroy the sport.

can they freely transfer every year? I thought it was just one time they could transfer without sitting out a year. That is not really a revolving door.

I don't have a personal problem with it aside from the fact it waters down the sport. College sports are/were great because you could get to know the guys, watch them develop, etc.

When there is free reign to transfer in and out, you lose all of that and college sports turn into developmental leagues for the next step up. Kids can get to the NFL no matter where they play.

I predict one of these in order of likelihood for Walker:

1. Tennessee
2. Memphis
3. Kentucky
4. Louisville

Not saying they wouldn’t take him, but I doubt it’s Kentucky, they’ve got 5 or 6 tailbacks on the roster for ‘21, including sophomore Chris Rodriguez, who’s better than KW3

in a world of millionaire coaches, $20+ million dollar buyouts, fat TV contracts -- all for a sport that affects kids' longterm quality of life -- I have a hard time getting mad at a kid for swapping schools for any reason

There is a difference between being mad and disappointed. Especially when the transfer looks like it has fingerprints of people who may not have the student-athlete's best interest as their primary focus.

Isn't Walker from Texas? I bet he ends up a longhorn or an Aggie. edit: Nevermind He is from Memphis area so I don't know anything. New prediction: Ole Miss.

Last edited:
I can't imagine where Walker could go that would be a better situation than Wake. Where is going to find another P5 school that will put him in the Top 10 in TDs while not getting beaten up too much?

SEC school. He grew up in Memphis and always wanted to play in the SEC but never got a schollie. We flipped him from Kent State. Now that he has blown up you have to imagine he feels like he & family think he is an SEC type RB. Plain & simple the SEC plays better football than the ACC. So if a kid grows up in that area that is what they envision. And with easy transfer rules in place he has that chance.

I don't have a personal problem with it aside from the fact it waters down the sport. College sports are/were great because you could get to know the guys, watch them develop, etc.

When there is free reign to transfer in and out, you lose all of that and college sports turn into developmental leagues for the next step up. Kids can get to the NFL no matter where they play.

free rein

Tennessee is in turmoil right now. There are rumors that Tennessee may fire Jeremy Pruitt and hire Guz Malzhan. It's to the point where the Dad of TN's freshman QB, Harrison Bailey has stated on Twitter: "As much as we love (Tennessee)," the elder Bailey tweeted, "@HBailey_05 came to play for @CoachJPruitt PERIOD." So, to the extent Tennessee is one of the schools after KW3, they have their own issues that need to be sorted out.

FWIW, essentially every college football fanbase is delusional, but Tennessee's currently tops the crazy list. They keep hiring and firing coaches while remaining unable to figure out why they suck.

Memphis would be a weird choice unless he’s just homesick. Tennessee has a decent returning back in Eric Grey, and a 4 star recruit, but Walker could get a lot of carries for the Vols next season

SEC school. He grew up in Memphis and always wanted to play in the SEC but never got a schollie. We flipped him from Kent State. Now that he has blown up you have to imagine he feels like he & family think he is an SEC type RB. Plain & simple the SEC plays better football than the ACC. So if a kid grows up in that area that is what they envision. And with easy transfer rules in place he has that chance.

But he's not going to get a lot more carries at an SEC school than the 119 he got this year. That's 15 per game. He might get that if he goes to a school that hasn't recruited well at RB, but the more likely situation is he goes someplace and becomes part of a rotation with a back who is way better than CBS.

Louisville might have more playing time for him with Javian Hawkins going pro. Arkansas, Ole Miss, UK, and UT have backs coming back with stats as good as KWIII's excepting touchdowns.

But he's not going to get a lot more carries at an SEC school than the 119 he got this year. That's 15 per game. He might get that if he goes to a school that hasn't recruited well at RB, but the more likely situation is he goes someplace and becomes part of a rotation with a back who is way better than CBS.

Louisville might have more playing time for him with Javian Hawkins going pro. Arkansas, Ole Miss, UK, and UT have backs coming back with stats as good as KWIII's excepting touchdowns.

As much as it pains me to agree with our resident UGA fan, it's hard to argue with this. No modern SEC school is going to give a lead back 30 carries a game if they can help it. The era of having one workhorse back is over.

Edit to add:
The current leader in attempts is Harris from Bama. He has 229 attempts in 12 games for an average of 19 a game.

Last edited:
As much as it pains me to agree with our resident UGA fan, it's hard to argue with this. No modern SEC school is going to give a lead back 30 carries a game if they can help it. The era of having one workhorse back is over.

Edit to add:
The current leader in attempts is Harris from Bama. He has 229 attempts in 12 games for an average of 19 a game.

Yeah, Najee Harris is averaging 19 carries per game, but got 31 twice this year. He also had some games where he sat in the fourth quarter.

Zamir White is a 5-star recruit who shares carries with three guys at Georgia (two freshmen) who were 4-star recruits and all of those guys have done nothing to downgrade their ratings.

Ok, so maybe KW3 just wants to get his 15 carries a game with a big time program with a pro style offense.

Same holds true in the NFL, most per a game is Henry and Cook at 22 as the exception with most featured backs more in the 15-16 carrier range. Its a RB by committee and passing league both at college and pro level.

Ok, so maybe KW3 just wants to get his 15 carries a game with a big time program with a pro style offense.

Good luck. My point is that big time programs already have at least one or two backs as good or better than KWIII on the roster or coming in. Even little ol' Wake Forest has CBS who is basically on par with Walker. The good thing for Walker with his WF situation is that CBS is a year ahead of him and he would have almost certainly been the feature back his senior year.

Not particularly relevant to Walker, but Christian McCaffrey averaged 24 carries per game and caught a bunch of passes his junior year.

Back