• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kenneth Walker and Trey Rucker enter Transfer Portal

In the past 5 years, Wake football and basketball have lost Bryant Crawford, Doral Moore, Chaundee Brown, Olivier Sarr, Greg Dortch, Jamie Newman, and Kenneth Walker. None of those players left to be drafted by either the NBA or the NFL. All were among the top 3-4 players on the team when they left.

Maybe that is bad luck, maybe each individual situation can be explained away. I just think that impact players leaving a program early for reasons other than being drafted is a concerning trend that I don't see being replicated with nearly the volume at other schools.

Moore, Crawford, and Dortch all left to be drafted

they miscalculated, though

Here are last years stats from the top uncommitted RB's (based on HS Ranking) in 247's Transfer Portal:

Ty Chandler, Tenn: 100 carries 456 yards 4 TD
TJ Pledger, OU: 95 carries 451 yards 5 TD
Deondrick Glass, Okl St: 1 carry for 2 yards in 2019
Markese Stepp, USC: 45 carries 165 yards 3 TD
Iverson Clement, UF: 5 carries 29 yards 0 TD
Chris Curry, LSU: 45 carries 145 yards 0 TD
Jordan Wilmore, Utah: 18 carries 45 yards 0 TD
Nakia Watson, Wisc: 53 carries 191 yards 3 TD
Christian Turner, Mich: 44 carries 171 yards 1 TD in 2019
Jahmir Smith, ND: 42 carries 180 yards 2 TD

And

Kenneth Walker III: 119 Carries 579 yards 13 TDs.

I did this to show that we probably aren't gonna Moneyball this and get a bunch of transfer in to replace his productivity, but also to beat a dead horse and show how different his level of productivity is from other guys in the portal

if KWIII is looking for better exposure, we should just add 50,000 seats to our stadium by this fall so he'll have more home fans watching him

They need a lead RB due to their bad rushing game. Don't forget this "shit" program" did beat us in the 2019 Pinstripe Bowl. Plus they are in a better overall conference than the ACC. Bad weather, true but better conference, yes.

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 81.49 82.73 ( 1) 7 81.85 ( 1)
2 BIG 12 (A) = 79.14 78.51 ( 3) 10 79.06 ( 2)
3 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) = 78.57 77.71 ( 5) 6 78.02 ( 4)
4 BIG TEN-WEST (A) = 78.26 78.16 ( 4) 7 78.22 ( 3)
5 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 77.47 78.56 ( 2) 7 77.78 ( 5)
6 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) = 77.40 77.61 ( 6) 6 77.58 ( 6)
7 SEC-EAST (A) = 74.27 74.44 ( 7) 7 74.36 ( 7)
8 ACC-COASTAL (A) = 72.14 71.39 ( 9) 7 71.70 ( 9)
9 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) = 71.80 72.62 ( 8) 7 71.74 ( 8)

Big deal that they beat us. That was 2019. Different teams that now. They have a different coach, who sucked this year. We will see how each school does next year and how he does. We could definitely use him and it is frustrating to lose him, but he clearly doesnt want to be here.

Michigan State is a program heading in the wrong direction. Mel Tucker was a curious hire. Colorado improved after he left. Not that it will matter to KW3 as I would expect him to head to the NFL as soon as he can, but Tucker won't be around East Lansing for long. If Michigan gets its act together (realize that's a big IF), Michigan State is headed to nowhereville for years as at bottom half program in the Big 10 East. D'Antoinio peaked MSU's potential, and they were on the decline before he left. Tucker is taking the program further into the abyss.

Given Reff's reliance on Sagarin, guess he is admitting that the SEC East is awful.

McCollum gone.

Damn. That sucks. I was surprised he didn't play more this year. He is from SC and South Carolina is desperate for players as Beamer inherits a depleted program. I bet he ends up there. This COVID free agency sucks!

Damn. That sucks. I was surprised he didn't play more this year. He is from SC and South Carolina is desperate for players as Beamer inherits a depleted program. I bet he ends up there. This COVID free agency sucks!

To be fair, we won’t fully know if it sucks until the dust settles and we see where we end up.

Michigan State is a program heading in the wrong direction. Mel Tucker was a curious hire. Colorado improved after he left. Not that it will matter to KW3 as I would expect him to head to the NFL as soon as he can, but Tucker won't be around East Lansing for long. If Michigan gets its act together (realize that's a big IF), Michigan State is headed to nowhereville for years as at bottom half program in the Big 10 East. D'Antoinio peaked MSU's potential, and they were on the decline before he left. Tucker is taking the program further into the abyss.

Given Reff's reliance on Sagarin, guess he is admitting that the SEC East is awful.

Tucker was only at Colorado one year, 2019, and went 5-7. They were 1-11 in 2018. I don’t think indicting him for his tenure at Colorado is fair at all.

I went all in on Shamar McCollum stock early on.

Are we going to have anyone left by the time this is over

To be fair, we won’t fully know if it sucks until the dust settles and we see where we end up.

To be fair, transfers have been, and will continue to be net loss for Wake. Going back to Devon Brown leaving for WVU.

Sure, we will end up with the occasional Miles Fox, Devin Gaulden, Zach Dancel, Anthony Wooding, etc and each of those are pretty servicable guys that came in for one year or slightly more. Meanwhile, Tabari Hines (bitch), Jamie Newman, KWIII, and Trey Rucker transfer out.

Those latter 4 are all NFL or near NFL talent. The former 4 were decent college players.

I went all in on Shamar McCollum stock early on.

yes, very disappointing. He was a monster in high school. Doesn't seem to have been able to bulk up much, nor beat out Johns ahead of him

I do think there's some underappreciation about how difficult wake can be for some black football players (or at least it was during my era, perhaps it's changed). It's an incredibly small school and the black student population is even smaller. Even if you're fine with the coaches, if you have a falling out with a player or break up with a girl, you can't just ignore it and move in other social circles instead. There aren't many (any?) viable other social circles.

While we tend to focus on the athletics side of the picture on this board, college is also about growing up, learning, and making friends. If Wake isn't working for you, you'll certainly consider transferring. I knew a ton of non-athletes who considered transferring (or did transfer) because they just didn't feel like wake was the right fit. It shouldn't be surprising that some athletes feel the same way, regardless of how they're doing on the field.

I do think there's some underappreciation about how difficult wake can be for some black football players (or at least it was during my era, perhaps it's changed). It's an incredibly small school and the black student population is even smaller. Even if you're fine with the coaches, if you have a falling out with a player or break up with a girl, you can't just ignore it and move in other social circles instead. There aren't many (any?) viable other social circles.

While we tend to focus on the athletics side of the picture on this board, college is also about growing up, learning, and making friends. If Wake isn't working for you, you'll certainly consider transferring. I knew a ton of non-athletes who considered transferring (or did transfer) because they just didn't feel like wake was the right fit. It shouldn't be surprising that some athletes feel the same way, regardless of how they're doing on the field.

Great point. In general, it is not uncommon for college kids to feel like they're not getting the overall college experience they expected. And this may be particularly true for Wake.

Back