• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it time to start wondering is there a "culture issue" with Wake Forest Football

Decreasing the number of football scholarships helps this issue, too. It also helps with Title IX compliance.

I would put a different process in place
Once you sign, you are committed to a school until you have attended one academic semester at that school. Then you may transfer anytime until your entering class peers complete two academic years. You can be immediately eligible at the new school.

After that, you can transfer, but must sit out a year, until you graduate. Once you receive a degree, you can again transfer and be immediately eligible at your new school. If you have remaining eligibility.

In addition, if the head coach leaves for any reason, the new head coach gets a 30 day window during which players cannot leave. After that window, players have until the end of the academic year (or June 1) to decide. If they leave, they can be immediately eligible at the new school.

Players can leave for professional opportunities anytime they meet the requirements of the profession.

IMHO, a system like this would balance the effort coaches put into recruiting with the fact that the recruited high school athletes are teenagers and may find that their initial choice was a mistake. After two years, they should have a pretty good idea where they stand and then, by staying, it seems reasonable to lock them in more tightly until graduation. That way the student-athlete fulfills the student part of the deal.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Deaconblue again.

Who said KWIII should be forced to stay at Wake ?

No one specially about Walker. Resilient Deac said in post #46 that he would support a system that required a 3 year stay for any recruit. My comment addresses his comment.

Yeah I was just spitballin as I do my dude.

That'd be a messed up rule though, so I'm glad you called me on it. Admittedly, it grinds my gears that Kenneth hasn't addressed his teammates and coaches on Twitter like most players do when they transfer. There must be something that happened behind the scenes that really screwed up some relationships.

Lumped all together although some dissimilarities are Tabari Hines, Kenneth Walker, III, Jamie Newman, Sage Surratt, et. al. They could be more sensitive than outsiders realize. If true, and speculating to make a counter point, then one might argue that WF is actually very good at developing the sensitive high maintenance personalities whereas other programs would fail these guys. KWIII’s remaining college career is yet to be seen but Newman/Givens did not have much success elsewhere and Surratt is voluntarily not playing in college so he’s voluntarily had no more college success. Is it probable that Clawson is actually better than most in coaching up the needy competitors?

Last edited:
Lumped all together although some dissimilarities are Chris Givens, Kenneth Walker, III, Jamie Newman, Sage Surratt, et. al. They could be more sensitive than outsiders realize. If true, and speculating to make a counter point, then one might argue that WF is actually very good at developing the sensitive high maintenance personalities whereas other programs would fail these guys. KWIII’s remaining college career is yet to be seen but Newman/Givens did not have much success elsewhere and Surratt is voluntarily not playing in college so he’s voluntarily had no more college success. Is it probable that Clawson is actually better than most in coaching up the needy competitors?

Are you talking about Hines not Givens?

I don’t think it’s fair at all to lump Sage in with Newman and Walker. He chose to return to the team when he could’ve turned pro last year. Tons of players across the country opted out due to the virus this year.

I imagine there is a culture issue for athletes at Wake Forest. The demographics of the typical "Wake Forest student" is much different than the student demographic at most colleges and universities. It's a tough fit for those don't meet the profile.
Over time this has become more and more true

Tabari left because he was going to be Dortch’s backup. Surratt opted out of a pandemic season while still recovering from shoulder surgery. Those 2 shouldn’t be in the same conversation as Newman who left for a bigger spotlight and Walker who just didn’t get along with some coaches. I don’t think those few unfortunate situations indicate there’s culture issue at Wake by any means.

Tabari left because he was going to be Dortch’s backup. Surratt opted out of a pandemic season while still recovering from shoulder surgery. Those 2 shouldn’t be in the same conversation as Newman who left for a bigger spotlight and Walker who just didn’t get along with some coaches. I don’t think those few unfortunate situations indicate there’s culture issue at Wake by any means.

This.

If only political leaders could discuss/counter my speculative counterpoint ^ as reasonably, calmly and fairly as d22. Thanks man.

“When a guy goes in the transfer portal, I never think they are coming back,” Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson told Demon Deacon Digest. “Other than Kendall Hinton, and he was a completely unique situation. Almost every player of ours who opted out, went into the portal. The second a player opted out, we almost expected them to go into the portal. That was certainly a warning sign that they considered leaving. When you look at the players who opted out, every single one of them went into the portal.”

Clawson has the math. Not sure if the perspective feeds any culture issues but he does say he never thinks they're returning once they enter that rabbit hole.

the answer to the question in the thread title is NO

Counterpoint: when you *can* keep the quality of person and player like Boogie happy enough to remain in the program -- I'd call that the better measure of "culture"

Counterpoint: when you *can* keep the quality of person and player like Boogie happy enough to remain in the program -- I'd call that the better measure of "culture"

I don’t have a dog in the fight. But to have Conor post that tweet at least gives the OP’s question some decent measure of credibility, that it’s not completely out of left field. Even if in reality there may not be a major issue in our program, which I don’t think there is.

Back