• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Deacs @ UVA - Wednesday 9 pm - FOX Sports South/Regional Sports Networks

Unintentionally, Steve Forbes diagnoses a problem from every Wake Forest game against Virginia in the past 6 years:

"If you stand there and hold it against them (on offense), you can forget it. I mean, you can just forget it."

So we have a coach who doesn't foul down 9 with 45 sec left. That's interesting.

I think maybe at this point Forbes is more interested in teaching these guys some lessons than trying to miraculously win a game. Say the 1 in 1000 that strategy would've got us a pretty meaningless win in the grand scheme of things, it's much harder to impact the lessons the team needs to learn from that loss than it would be from a win. "Hey coach, why you busting our balls when we just upset a top 25 on the road?" I'm not saying he's not trying or wanting to win, I just think he knows the #1 objective of this season is to get rid of the 10 year stink this program has and start molding this program in the way he wants.

I don't think many predicted a single digit loss at UVA last night. We have to crawl before we walk. I'm definitely encouraged by last night.

I don't think many predicted a single digit loss at UVA last night. We have to crawl before we walk. I'm definitely encouraged by last night.

I didn't watch much, but it certainly sounds like there was tangible improvement from the Tech game to last night. I think that is where we're at, hopefully we see improvement as we go through the season, even if we're not winning. I think it's a good sign, because of Covid Forbes really hasn't been able to consistently work with this team, so hopefully we'll stay healthy and he can get consistent practices with them.

All I keep hearing about is how UVA is without a couple players...How about the Deacs down Dubose and Ingraham, two top contributors, along with Quadry Adams who I believe can give us some serviceable minutes at the 1 or 2.

All I keep hearing about is how UVA is without a couple players...How about the Deacs down Dubose and Ingraham, two top contributors, along with Quadry Adams who I believe can give us some serviceable minutes at the 1 or 2.

Yeah, that's BS, a lot of teams are without players. Anybody using that excuse is pathetic at this point.

Plus we had a lead at halftime, so it's not like we were down 15 most of the game and hit a couple shots down the stretch. Night and day improvement from GA Tech, loved the lineup shakeup, kids responded. Hopefully Neath got the message about dominating the ball too much and grinding our offense to a halt. Nothing's going to fix the holes we have this year talent-wise, especially with Dubose and Ingraham out, but there will be some nights when we get hot and keep up the defensive pressure and surprise some teams.

The last 10 years has been hero ball on offense and terrible defense. Forbes first 5 games has been the opposite. We were never gonna win alot of games this year but you can see real coaching going on. the foundation is being built.

I didn't watch much, but it certainly sounds like there was tangible improvement from the Tech game to last night. I think that is where we're at, hopefully we see improvement as we go through the season, even if we're not winning. I think it's a good sign, because of Covid Forbes really hasn't been able to consistently work with this team, so hopefully we'll stay healthy and he can get consistent practices with them.
To fill you in, in first half our ball movement was crisp and rapid leading to open 3’s that we were knocking down. The one bad was Whitt seemed scared of Virginia guards due to there quick hands(welcome to ACC). Second half we seemed to stand around with no movement and no good ball movement(what coach said above) consequently no shots fell for long stretches. Virginia gets lead and builds it up, ballgame.

The last 10 years has been hero ball on offense and terrible defense. Forbes first 5 games has been the opposite. We were never gonna win alot of games this year but you can see real coaching going on. the foundation is being built.

Let’s hope so. What’s going on in football doesn’t seem to bode well for rebuilding basketball either.

To fill you in, in first half our ball movement was crisp and rapid leading to open 3’s that we were knocking down. The one bad was Whitt seemed scared of Virginia guards due to there quick hands(welcome to ACC). Second half we seemed to stand around with no movement and no good ball movement(what coach said above) consequently no shots fell for long stretches. Virginia gets lead and builds it up, ballgame.

Seems like it will be a huge positive long term to get Whitt playing time against top competition in a season that means absolutely nothing without any loss of eligibility.

Seems like it will be a huge positive long term to get Whitt playing time against top competition in a season that means absolutely nothing without any loss of eligibility.

Agree totally, he will deal with opposition very well with continued playing time.

Whitt got a big taste of playing when he isn't the best player by far on the court. Let's see how he reacts and grows from that experience.

Oddly this may be the record low game thread, just when we have reasons to feel better about the future.

The first half everything was working and the shots fell. No doubt UVA cranked up the defense in the second and we struggled more and tossed the ball around a bit.

With 3 min left we got the ball down 10 a couple of times but couldn't convert, it could have been a bit more interesting.

Forbes not fouling with 45 sec left did seem odd, of course it took us most of the shot clock to get our last basket. I'd just be curious of the logic there.

As opposed to most losses, for the last 10 years, I didn't come away depressed and with out hope.

Oddly this may be the record low game thread, just when we have reasons to feel better about the future

almost like there was some other stuff happening yesterday evening that distracted people from the game.

This is absolutely correct. The first half of the game last night was an impressive display of ball movement on offense, and good positioning and effort on defense.

almost like there was some other stuff happening yesterday evening that distracted people from the game.

And many of us couldn’t watch it.

Forbes not fouling with 45 sec left did seem odd, of course it took us most of the shot clock to get our last basket. I'd just be curious of the logic there.

Forbes doesn't have much experience losing, which is fantastic. Our previous two coaches got a lot of practice fouling at the end of games. Last year in particular, we were really skilled at cutting into 15 deficits, so that we would only lose by 7.

Unintentionally, Steve Forbes diagnoses a problem from every Wake Forest game against Virginia in the past 6 years:

"If you stand there and hold it against them (on offense), you can forget it. I mean, you can just forget it."

Proper diagnosis is the first step in finding the correct solution.

Back