• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

You know that this limitation on the role of the guardsmen was requested by Bowser, right? She didn’t like the optics of having armed guardsmen interacting with the public, as had been done over the summer, so they were relegated to logistics, like traffic control.

She is not the reason the guard was delayed being called out for emergency response when the riot actually started. She is part of the reason that they were not there before the riot started. Probably, at the time, it was beyond belief that they would actually try and storm the capitol to kidnap and Pelosi and Pence. She was pretty naive, I guess, but Tuesday of last week was an innocent time. In her defense though, There were people out there say this whole thing is just the same as that time Barbra Boxer delayed Senate proceedings for an hour. Who knew the president would attempt a coup?

She is not the reason the guard was delayed being called out for emergency response when the riot actually started. She is part of the reason that they were not there before the riot started. Probably, at the time, it was beyond belief that they would actually try and storm the capitol to kidnap and Pelosi and Pence. She was pretty naive, I guess, but Tuesday of last week was an innocent time. In her defense though, There were people out there say this whole thing is just the same as that time Barbra Boxer delayed Senate proceedings for an hour. Who knew the president would attempt a coup?

To be fair, millions of people knew that. People have been shouting about his dangerous rhetoric since the very beginning. This was the same bullshit folks were afraid of if Clinton had won. A spoiled brat who has thrown tantrums over not getting his way for three quarters of a century now has millions of rubes willing to give their lives for his happiness. I suspect that the truth is more complicated, but anyone unprepared for Mountain Dew fueled larpers getting violent definitely has culpability. Assholes like these tried to kidnap the governor of Michigan just a few months ago. The fact that they can parade around in their grownup Halloween costumes carrying their guns without the NG on standby is perhaps the most powerful testament to white privilege ever.

To be fair, millions of people knew that. People have been shouting about his dangerous rhetoric since the very beginning. This was the same bullshit folks were afraid of if Clinton had won. A spoiled brat who has thrown tantrums over not getting his way for three quarters of a century now has millions of rubes willing to give their lives for his happiness. I suspect that the truth is more complicated, but anyone unprepared for Mountain Dew fueled larpers getting violent definitely has culpability. Assholes like these tried to kidnap the governor of Michigan just a few months ago. The fact that they can parade around in their grownup Halloween costumes carrying their guns without the NG on standby is perhaps the most powerful testament to white privilege ever.

Sure, but Junebored has been the loudest voice on these boards proclaiming that this all amounted to the same thing that Boxer did in 04/05...so my post is pointing out his hypocritical bullshit.

On realclearpolitics many of the right-wing articles have adopted a new strategy. After making a few sad comments about the insurrection (along with the inevitable swipes at "hypocritical" Democrats for defending the "lawless BLM riots that caused far more property damage" while currently criticizing the Capitol Hill rioters), they give dire warnings about a "far greater" danger to the Republic, which is Big Tech censoring and banning Trump from Twitter, Facebook, and other social media. Apparently the "unfortunate" attack on the Capitol has paved the way for LibDems to begin their final assault on Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press by banning all conservatives from their precious Twitter, Facebook, and other social media accounts, which they are surely entitled to as Real American citizens, dammit! We just can't let our birthright to say any crap whatsoever, no matter how false or malicious or threatening or incendiary, be taken away by private corporations which possess every legal right to regulate the content on their platforms! Just forget about this clear coup attempt on our nation's capital and government - we're getting banned from Twitter and that is far more serious!

Republican “leaders” completely own this shit.

For years they’ve sought and maintained power by dishonest fear mongering. This is where it leads their deluded base.

You know that this limitation on the role of the guardsmen was requested by Bowser, right? She didn’t like the optics of having armed guardsmen interacting with the public, as had been done over the summer, so they were relegated to logistics, like traffic control.

Wrong as usual.

Uh, yes. Did you see me say otherwise?

Sure sounds like you don’t want to see Trump punished.

Again, never supported Dump, never voted for Dump. Growing up in NYC I knew his reputation of deceit, lack of integrity and dishonesty.
So....while I'm glad his sorry ass is leaving in 12 days I have to ask myself the question as many are. Does trying to impeach his ass this late in the game do more harm than good?
I'm leaning on the side best to not to. While what he did Wednesday is definitely an impeachable offense, there's little to gain so late in the game and will divide rather than unite.
Sure it would pass in the House but do we really need to have Senators debating this point when there are so many issues they need to move on?
The faster we put these 4 years behind us, the better we'll all be.

I've always been willing to paid big bucks to have been at Hyannis Port when Maria Shriver brought home the steroid enhanced, conservative Arnold to meet Rose Kennedy and the rest of the family.

Sure sounds like you don’t want to see Trump punished.

Read my words....carefully.
The offense was impeachable. Personally, I wouldn't be against any punishment given. My question; would it be good for the Country in the time frame given?
In days following since my post, I have heard both sides.
With only days remaining, I'm still on the fence but leaning toward that an example should be made of his behavior, even if it turns out to be only symbolic.
I understand the sentiment here of hanging and disemboweling the SOB but I still believe it's a debatable point.

Now that Democrats are about to assume the offices of POTUS and VP, it's nice to see that conservative media is back to covering the really important things about our leaders, like their fashion style, or supposed lack thereof. Less than a week after Trumpites tried to overthrow the government, Fox News has a story today about how the latest Vogue cover of Kamala Harris has sparked a "social media frenzy" and been "widely criticized" for her lack of clothing style and the "washed out" look of the photo. The horror! I mean, which is worse, Trump's coup attempt or Obama wearing a tan suit? Pence believing in the benefits of gay conversion therapy or Kamala wearing sneakers in a magazine cover photo? History will decide, I guess.

Of course. It's been building for years, and Trump's defeat and the attack on the Capitol have likely emboldened these people more than ever before. If they think they can get away with it, they'll just escalate and be even bolder and push it more to the extreme next time. The Capitol Police are likely going to have to be overhauled and greatly augmented if something like this is to be prevented again, as will security details at the WH, Supreme Court, and probably some other government buildings. The first clue will be what happens on January 19 & 20 at the inaugural. I do think the security will be far tighter and vastly larger, but if thousands (or even just hundreds) of MAGAts show up again it could get ugly on DC streets.

Start of video: "Our loyalty should be to the country, not to a President"
End of video: "Pledge our loyalty to President-elect Biden!"
I don't expect Biden to deviate far from "the good of the country" but Arnie probably should have planned out that speech a little better.

Back