• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend any Elder Law lawyers (preferably Western NC)

DeacOnCapeCod

Reaction score
Got a feeling the shipped has sailed on this but asking for some advice...

Mother-in-law is in good health but basically no mobility, and has been in assisted living for the last month, with slim odds that she will be able to live by herself again.

Since my father-in-law passed away a few years ago, she did get a lot of the paperwork put in her name.

Has a modest house paid for, some life insurance money left, and a monthly income from the state and social security.

It seems 5 years is the magic number when it comes to Medicare (and that's where the ship has sailed...we are just starting to do this now).

We are trying to plan the next steps with her: does anyone recommend an elder law lawyer? Preferrably in Western North carolina.. but I think anywhere might do. M-I-L is in northeastern NC.

thanks

DeacOnCapeCod (now fletcher, nc)

Jason Page in Wilson. He's done a lot of work for me and my family, and is very knowledgeable and doesn't take forever to get the docs done.

This isn't a fun process to go through and be prepared for her to basically spend away her assets to qualify for Medicaid. There are plans t help but the 5 year lookback is hard to get around....Good luck....

Not a lawyer but my sister works in social services and my mom did medicare and medicaid reimbursement stuff when she worked for a nursing home and I believe the look back period in most states if 5 years. But check with a lawyer for sure.

Thanks for the info. We have made some phone calls... its killing me because we should have started this 5 years ago. I am hoping to glean some information in regards to my mom (81 and in good physical/mental health, but everyone knows that can change in an instant).

...and vote for politicians more instead of less inclined towards positive reform of our healthcare and insurance system. Long term care insurance for everyone needs to be folded in at some point.

Hopefully.

If you're ever out in New Mexico, specifically the Albuquerque area, I know just the guy. It's all good man.

Back