• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Impeachment: The Sequel

This country is so fucked. Obviously the fact that Trump is still far and away the leader is pathetic - but expected. Perhaps even more scary is the fact that there isn't one respectable candidate listed there. I guess the least nutty of all those is Haley? And she has spent the last several years trying to dispel that notion. You'd hope that the majority of Americans would ultimately reject any of those at the ballot box; however, these are still the voters that are nominating/electing congresspeople and state level candidates.

Nikki Haley selling her soul to pull even with the coked out son from Succession.

That is great news. None of those kooks can win the POTUS.

However, several of them are capable of making an election into a shitshow. That needs to be prevented from happening. Those with initials DT and TC have already done so. They need to be barred from running by legal means.

Regardless of which moron the GOP picks, incumbents rarely lose Presidential races although Carter, Bush Sr and now Trump have proved in can be done. Maybe it's Joe and maybe it's Kamala but Dems will have upper hand in 24.

Pence being that high is a bit stunning. Are there evangelicals who are suddenly pretending they aren't hypocrites?

That is great news. None of those kooks can win the POTUS.

Trump already won 1 election, and without a consensus candidate like Biden in 2024, he could win again in 2024. And he narrowly lost GA, WI, AZ and PA, just like he narrowly won PA, MI and WI in 2016. So no, that poll is not good news. He needs to be prevented from ever running for office again. The 1 encouraging thing I saw in this morning's news is it sounds like more senate Pubs may vote to convict and that McConnell may be moving in that direction. Maybe congressional Pubs are beginning to realize the existential threat he is to both their party and our republic and that this vote is probably their sole opportunity to purge him from our political future. They likely realize that they'll take a hit from his base in the short run, but it's worth it to prevent him from being their 2024 nominee. Let's hope that is the case.

If he in fact is prevented from running in the future, it'll be interesting to see how his base responds. I don't think either Hawley or Junior have the level of personality magnetism with that base like Trump has, so does that base still stay as politically active and involved? Then the question is whether Trump will still be a sort of king maker. But I don't think he has any interest in that. He just wants to be king himself.

Trump already won 1 election, and without a consensus candidate like Biden in 2024, he could win again in 2024. And he narrowly lost GA, WI, AZ and PA, just like he narrowly won PA, MI and WI in 2016. So no, that poll is not good news. He needs to be prevented from ever running for office again. The 1 encouraging thing I saw in this morning's news is it sounds like more senate Pubs may vote to convict and that McConnell may be moving in that direction. Maybe congressional Pubs are beginning to realize the existential threat he is to both their party and our republic and that this vote is probably their sole opportunity to purge him from our political future. They likely realize that they'll take a hit from his base in the short run, but it's worth it to prevent him from being their 2024 nominee. Let's hope that is the case.

If he in fact is prevented from running in the future, it'll be interesting to see how his base responds. I don't think either Hawley or Junior have the level of personality magnetism with that base like Trump has, so does that base still stay as politically active and involved? Then the question is whether Trump will still be a sort of king maker. But I don't think he has any interest in that. He just wants to be king himself.

I agree with this last. Trump would not be happy putting someone else on the throne. If he can't sit on it, he will attempt to destroy it.

Pence being that high is a bit stunning. Are there evangelicals who are suddenly pretending they aren't hypocrites?

That's Pence's sole attraction - to white evangelicals. He doesn't appeal to the non-evangelical red neck folks like Trump does. I don't think he's capable of getting the nomination. If Trump Sr isn't on the ballot, I could see Hawley or Junior getting the nomination. Or maybe that's the ticket.

Watcher, I think you're kidding yourself if you think Dems will easily have the upper hand in 2024. The EC will still likely have a 2-4% house effect for Pubs. Joe will be too old to run again, and I don't know that Kamala or someone else will be able to have Joe's breadth of appeal across the party. Throw in the economy could struggle for a couple of years.

I agree with this last. Trump would not be happy putting someone else on the throne. If he can't sit on it, he will attempt to destroy it.

Yes, this is my hope. That he gets his OAN primetime gig and continues to foment his white nationalism there but that his non-college educated base that used to be infrequent voters return to being infrequent voters without him on the ballot.

The two people I think have the best chance aren't on that list- Ben Sasse, Larry Hogan

depends on how much of an influence the MAGAts still have. both those guys hate Trump and as of now would get no support from the base.

depends on how much of an influence the MAGAts still have. both those guys hate Trump and as of now would get no support from the base.

When Trump gets kicked out and more importantly when 300+ people either go to jail and/or have permanent felony records, Trump's base will lessen. If Trump is in jail, that will also have some impact as the years go on. He'll have followers, but the GOP should be able to re-take the party.

The two people I think have the best chance aren't on that list- Ben Sasse, Larry Hogan

Trump's base is still 70-80% of the current party. Sure, establishment types would vote for Hogan or Sasse in the primary, but establishment types are the minority of the party. Add to that both Hogan and Sasse have been openly critical of Trump. No, I see it as more likely that someone like Junior, Hawley or Cruz will get the nomination.

Trump's base is still 70-80% of the current party. Sure, establishment types would vote for Hogan or Sasse in the primary, but establishment types are the minority of the party. Add to that both Hogan and Sasse have been openly critical of Trump. No, I see it as more likely that someone like Junior, Hawley or Cruz will get the nomination.

But they aren't voting now. It won't start for three years. How much will the casual Trump supporters take over those years? Multiple trials of Trump, his family and his senior enablers will have impact. Some of them going to jail will have an impact. Neighbors going to jail for listening to Trump and taking part in the insurrection will have an impact. It's inevitable that others will be investigated for their participation and not charged but will lose their jobs for being there.

On top of that you won't have Trump on major social media multiple times every day.

Yes, Trump will still have some strong supporters, but those numbers will be less in a year, even lower than that in two years and then lower still in three years when the primaries really get going.

There will probably be a Trump candidate, but he/she won't be Trump. The party and candidates will work together to destroy that person. Remember, the GOP controlled the entire government until Trump's actions lost all three for them. If the Dems add DC and PR as states, the GOP will work to destroy everything Trump.

Jr is definitely going to run if Dad can't. Support won't wane at all

AAAAHHHH...now we see the strategy....a PPV cage match between Ivanka and Junior...

Back