• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Impeachment: The Sequel

With more people going to jail for Trump and the Senate convicting him, the powers that be in the GOP could take back control of their party. If they don't do anything will still have power.

Maybe Koch and a couple other GOP mega-donors can help fund NY AG James in trying Trump.

You are suggesting that an AG accept money to prosecute another American citizen?

That came out wrong...of course they can't directly fund it. My bad...

Murkowksi sounds like a yes on convicting.

I think Trump likely survives conviction unless there’s violence this week, in which case he will be convicted around 70-30 with the establishment (Mitch/Burr/Toomey/Blunt) icing him.

Murkowski, Sullivan, Mitch, Collins, Blunt, Sasse, Burr, Tillis, Portman, Toomey, and Romney get you to 61 votes

That’s the ceiling as things stand now and I would probably put it closer to 55 votes.

Assuming things go bad over the next week (hopefully they don’t), I think you see people like Graham, Scott, Cornyn, and Cotton vote to convict and political pressure probably forces a few others to join them.

Keep in mind - the more we learn about what happened on 1/6, the worse it is going to get for the POTUS and certain members of congress. Having said all of that, I think it is still unlikely that he is convicted.

I don't see a lot of commentary on this, but there is a pretty clear link between Trump's abuse of power charges from the first impeachment and the sedition and inciting a riot on January 6th. The BS of trying to get the PM of Ukraine to announce a corruption probe into Biden and his son the year before the election was an early step in Trump's desperate moves to undermine a free and fair election that (hopefully) ended with the January 6th coup attempt. These two events are link with each other through a series of increasingly desperate statements and actions by Trump to hold on to power. The Senate had a chance to end it a year ago but failed due to, at best, partisan myopia or, at worst, they were in on the grift and wanted to keep it going. We not dealing with a different set of charges and circumstances here, we are dealing with a massive escalation of what he got away with the first time.

Poor Evan thinks the GOP faces that choice now or in the future. He doesn’t understand it’s a choice the GOP made awhile ago.

Poor Evan thinks the GOP faces that choice now or in the future. He doesn’t understand it’s a choice the GOP made awhile ago.

The Republicans faced that choice in the late 50s and early sixties with the John Birch Society. They dumped the far right radicals then. We will see what happens now.

That seems to be conservative canon but is it actually true?

If Trump is convicted, does he lose the the salutation of "The Honorable"?

I see some time away did nothing to enhance rj's sense of humor or his proclivity for on-the-nose youtube videos

It must be so sad to be you. To hold such hate for so many years is such a waste of effort.

Juice to rj:

giphy.gif

Uh oh.

Back