• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Impeachment: The Sequel

They should deliver the article on Monday morning in an Amazon van

Saw that Trump's attorney will be the SC attorney who defended Mark Sanford

Things are setting up for Trump to become the next John Birch Society or McGovern or Nixon where Republicans will claim they never supported him and a mythology will rise up about how Republicans rejected Trumpism and moved forward as a united party.

They absolutely will claim to have resisted him the entire time. Need tangible results (election losses, kicking out a few of the bigger trumpers) to hope they don't choose trump 2.0 next time.

And then years from now some fuck like Bill Barr or Michael Flynn will get nominated to SCOTUS down the line, be rejected, and conservative donks will cry “Bork !”

Sounds like king trumpf could be convicted in the Senate impeachment trial listening to McConnell....

I mean, if you can't get convicted for inciting an "erection" at the Capitol to delay the lawful and peaceful transfer of power that kills 5 people, then there's no need to even have such an impeachment process. :dumb:

Sounds like king trumpf could be convicted in the Senate impeachment trial listening to McConnell....

I mean, if you can't get convicted for inciting an "erection" at the Capitol to delay the lawful and peaceful transfer of power that kills 5 people, then there's no need to even have such an impeachment process. :dumb:

Even if McConnell decides to support a Trump conviction (hardly a given) I'm still dubious that 16 other Republicans will vote to convict. Seeing the outraged and vindictive reaction from House Republicans towards Liz Cheney and the other 9 House Republicans that voted to impeach will only make them more hesitant.

I believe the Democrats made a mistake pushing Impeachment to the front of the line. Time works to their benefit. It allows the government and the press the opportunity to widen the net of all involved in insurrection and to the depth of their participation. If there is direct implication of members of Congress and within the Trump administration, and their involvement can be proved, the idea of a witch hunt disappears and the fact of sedition/treason becomes apparent.

I believe the Democrats made a mistake pushing Impeachment to the front of the line. Time works to their benefit. It allows the government and the press the opportunity to widen the net of all involved in insurrection and to the depth of their participation. If there is direct implication of members of Congress and within the Trump administration, and their involvement can be proved, the idea of a witch hunt disappears and the fact of sedition/treason becomes apparent.

you think facts and evidence matter to the people who think Trump is the victim of a witch hunt?

Even if McConnell decides to support a Trump conviction (hardly a given) I'm still dubious that 16 other Republicans will vote to convict. Seeing the outraged and vindictive reaction from House Republicans towards Liz Cheney and the other 9 House Republicans that voted to impeach will only make them more hesitant.

No, I think McConnell is the key. I only see 6-10 Pubs supporting it without McConnell leaning on them. If he truly wants 18, he will find 18. What this depends on is how much of a shot does he think Trump has at the 2024 nomination. If he thinks there is no shot, I doubt he pushes for conviction, which would create serious division in the party. If he thinks Trump has a decent shot, he'll push for conviction to prevent that from happening. McConnell made his deal with the devil and got his judiciary, but in the end, it almost cost him his life. Pence, Pelosi, Schumer and he would have been at the top of the list for lynchings.

He literally can create the situation where Trump has no shot.

McConnell could get two benefits from getting Trump convicted. The first is to get Trump banned from running again which would also weaken the Trump family. Secondly, this could be used to counterbalance the historical negative of how McConnell has wielded power and obstructed our nation for a decade.

Since every decision for McConnell is based on maintaining or expanding his power, it makes sense for McConnell to orchestrate Trump being convicted.

I hope he realizes how disastrous would be another Trump run and presidency.

That should be reason enough to do the right thing this time around.

It's standard Democrat practice. Instead of delaying the trial against Trump, watching the Republican party eat itself with internal battles, eliminating the Filibuster and embracing the control they've been given, they're going to do everything in half-measures. They could basically neuter McConnel but won't. They could let the media and investigations handle Trump for a couple months, instead they'll go after him now because it's the "right thing to do" even if it's politically dumb. They'll waste time trying to be bipartisan, allow Republicans to scapegoat Trump and run the same stall tactics they always do, then 2 years will be gone they'll claim incompetence and the public will swing back and vote red again.

Couldn't agree more with the absolute waste of time trying to be bi-partisan is. As I've said for decades on these boards, Dems are too weak to do what they should do.

The further away we get from the events of January 6th, the longer the right wing media spin machine has to try to erase the history of what we saw and felt during that fucking Insurrection. The time to hold people accountable is now.

The further away we get from the events of January 6th, the longer the right wing media spin machine has to try to erase the history of what we saw and felt during that fucking Insurrection. The time to hold people accountable is now.

Yep

Back