• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Impeachment: The Sequel

Dammit. This is a golden opportunity for the country (and for Pubs) to be rid of Trump for good.

The specter of him running again in 2024 is terrifying, for country and for party.

The way things are going the GOP could nominate Rep. Mary Miller (IL). She fits right in with the Trumpees after praising Hitler in a speech in front of the Holocaust Museum.

WTF does Graham think Trump can do for him? In a year or two, Trump will be reviled and in the interim there is nothing Trump can do for Graham.

No, Trump will still be a hero to Trumpites and reviled by the rest of us.

Bored, I'm not so sure he can run again in 2024 as a practical matter after Wednesday. I don't know who the movement turns to, likely 1 of his kids or Hawley. But after those events, I don't think he'll be able to get the Pub nomination.

WTF does Graham think Trump can do for him?

I know some folks who have been around the Graham/Trump hangouts at Lowes Island (ie. Trump National CC here in DC). Lindsey got a taste of what being fuck you rich would be like versus his current sub $2M net worth. Trump is still a potential meal ticket, I'm guessing he got a few phone calls yesterday reminding him of that, along with some not-so-vague threats about the liberties they've taken at Trump properties already.

Bored, I'm not so sure he can run again in 2024 as a practical matter after Wednesday. I don't know who the movement turns to, likely 1 of his kids or Hawley. But after those events, I don't think he'll be able to get the Pub nomination.

He'll have 40% of the Republican party at a bare minimum; this is more than enough to win the nomination

I think that’s right, but I have underestimated him every step of the way, so I’d like the door to be shut.

Why would you think that? If the field is remotely crowded, his rock solid base will lead to another primary landslide.

after the last couple months, Trump cannot win the general election

would love for him to be the Republican nominee

I think that’s right, but I have underestimated him every step of the way, so I’d like the door to be shut.

I don't think you underestimated Trump. You overestimated your party.

Trump will be the easy favorite to win the Republican nomination unless he's prevented from running. Trump is the most popular Republican figure. He will be the top fundraiser for 2022 House races. Even after the insurrection, the majority of House Republicans still stood with him and did not accept the election results.

Again, never supported Dump, never voted for Dump. Growing up in NYC I knew his reputation of deceit, lack of integrity and dishonesty.
So....while I'm glad his sorry ass is leaving in 12 days I have to ask myself the question as many are. Does trying to impeach his ass this late in the game do more harm than good?
I'm leaning on the side best to not to. While what he did Wednesday is definitely an impeachable offense, there's little to gain so late in the game and will divide rather than unite.
Sure it would pass in the House but do we really need to have Senators debating this point when there are so many issues they need to move on?
The faster we put these 4 years behind us, the better we'll all be.

There are only three things that could prevent Trump from getting the 2024 Republican nomination: death, prison or being barred from running by a second impeachment. Otherwise we’re just entering intermission.

Again, never supported Dump, never voted for Dump. Growing up in NYC I knew his reputation of deceit, lack of integrity and dishonesty.
So....while I'm glad his sorry ass is leaving in 12 days I have to ask myself the question as many are. Does trying to impeach his ass this late in the game do more harm than good?
I'm leaning on the side best to not to. While what he did Wednesday is definitely an impeachable offense, there's little to gain so late in the game and will divide rather than unite.
Sure it would pass in the House but do we really need to have Senators debating this point when there are so many issues they need to move on?
The faster we put these 4 years behind us, the better we'll all be.

It's not late in the game. His 2024 campaign hasn't even started. Impeachment and conviction will help put these 4 years behind us.

Republicans or former Republicans really shouldn't lecture the ruling party on what to do with Trump

I don't think you underestimated Trump. You overestimated your party.

Trump will be the easy favorite to win the Republican nomination unless he's prevented from running. Trump is the most popular Republican figure. He will be the top fundraiser for 2022 House races. Even after the insurrection, the majority of House Republicans still stood with him and did not accept the election results.

All due respect Ph; I think you're wrong. This guy has effectively ruined his chance to ever run again by his performance this week.
Time will tell of course, but I'm betting by 2022 he is no longer a factor in the Republican Party, if the Party wants to be anywhere relevant/competitive in the 2022/2024 elections.

Republicans or former Republicans really shouldn't lecture the ruling party on what to do with Trump

They don't get to talk. They don't get a seat at the table. Everything they say should be ignored for the foreseeable future. They need to go in timeout and think about what they've done.

All due respect Ph; I think you're wrong. This guy has effectively ruined his chance to ever run again by his performance this week.
Time will tell of course, but I'm betting by 2022 he is no longer a factor in the Republican Party, if the Party wants to be anywhere relevant/competitive in the 2022/2024 elections.

you've been wrong about Trump at every turn, yet you keep predicting Trump's party will be done with its namesake

Oh, humor me. "Wrong on every turn"?
Do tell.

well let's start with your repeated insistence since Election Day that Republicans were ready to move past him, just let Trump have his tantrum in the corner and all will pass.

Back