• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Capitalism

And before you go all red scare on me, yes I support capitalism. And America is and can continue to be great. But for gods sake put some fucking guardrails on it and enforce (or even reintroduce) accountability or we will be fucked. What built us in the past needs to evolve with the times.

“Scattering the few current residents” is a weird way to describe genocide.

For what its worth, I have no input here. But I'm enjoying the hell out of the discussion and learning a lot.
As a former (long ago) history major/teacher my question is, I'm wondering what we are teaching our children these days on the merits/demerits of these systems?
It will be their decision what path we take. Or is it?
But back to your discussion; I do know all your education and depth is shining through. Your parents would be proud.

Last edited:
9 years olds getting pepper sprayed.

+

Weird response. These types of stories are neither endemic nor unique to capitalism. Plus, under our system of government, the girl who was pepper sprayed will probably get paid for her experience. As for the lady whose husband died, that's obviously very sad, but you are aware that the coronavirus is killing people in other countries too, yes?

Do you think that maybe some other things have also helped build American prosperity such as an embarrassment of natural resources that were geographically isolated and untouched for millennia while the rest of the world progressed? We could just...walk right up and have them after scattering the few current residents. Or that those other societies destroyed themselves so thoroughly with two world wars that never reached our shores leaving an enormous void for us?

It seems like a huge blind spot to credit Republican religion while not considering any other factors, and to assume that unchanging faith in that religion will 100% guarantee future success. And you’re supposed to be the party of business, good luck running a business with that mindset.

I'm heartened to see that, despite your bluster, you agree with the concept of American exceptionalism, even if you disagree with me as to the causes for it.

One of "American" exceptionalism's foundation is built on the best and the brightest wanting to come to America. Immigrants are central to our successes.

Speak for yourself

speaking for anyone who thinks that a person is born in one drawn country border is superior to everyone else not born in the same drawn country border. it's stupid.

speaking for anyone who thinks that a person is born in one drawn country border is superior to everyone else not born in the same drawn country border. it's stupid.

That's not what American exceptionalism is about, at least not as I understand it. Maybe some nationalists think that, but I don't think American exceptionalism is the same thing as nationalism at all.

I'm heartened to see that, despite your bluster, you agree with the concept of American exceptionalism, even if you disagree with me as to the causes for it.

if you say so Junebug

Junebug probably sneers at those morons who win the lottery then manage to blow through hundreds of millions of dollars and end up broke and drunk in a ditch. He’ll rationally tell you they stupidly thought they were exceptional but should have put in the effort to set themselves up for lasting success. While simultaneously telling you America is exceptional for...reasons.

American exceptionalism sounds like what some helicopter parent thinks of their little darling who should be given an A just because

Weird response. These types of stories are neither endemic nor unique to capitalism. Plus, under our system of government, the girl who was pepper sprayed will probably get paid for her experience. As for the lady whose husband died, that's obviously very sad, but you are aware that the coronavirus is killing people in other countries too, yes?

Lifelong trauma, but hey! She's going to get paid!

That's not what American exceptionalism is about, at least not as I understand it. Maybe some nationalists think that, but I don't think American exceptionalism is the same thing as nationalism at all.

american exceptionalism is thinking that there is something different (better) about americans because we are americans

it doesn't think about humans first as humans

american exceptionalism is thinking that there is something different (better) about americans because we are americans

it doesn't think about humans first as humans

That is not what I mean when I use the phrase. When I use the phrase, what I mean is that our economic system and our system of government allow for human flourishing in a way that other economic systems/systems of governance do not. It's not that Americans are "better" than people from everywhere else. Instead, it's that our economic/government systems allow us to flourish in a way that other systems do not. If you were to switch the American people with the people from any other country, you'd still have American exceptionalism, so long as they bought into our economic/government systems. If you want to throw in "big country, vast resources, geographic separation from Europe, etc" as causative factors too, I won't take much issue with that, but I think it is our economic/government systems that are really doing the work here.

Last edited:
not everyone is allowed to do the "flourishing"

Back