• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Trump start a 3rd Party

Will Trump start his own political party?

• Yes

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Mako

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The threat of a Stein or Nader run is exactly what is needed. I have no desire to remain in a Democratic Party that becomes even more pro-big business and anti-labor.

Except the Dems are for $15 minimum wage, Pro-union, OSHA, other liability and many of the things you support. They also opposed the pro-biz tax cuts.

If you don't with Dems, as bad as you think think things, they will be exponentially worse with GOP in charge of everything.

he already has started a third party. It killed the GOP except in name.

Except the Dems are for $15 minimum wage, Pro-union, OSHA, other liability and many of the things you support. They also opposed the pro-biz tax cuts.

If you don't with Dems, as bad as you think think things, they will be exponentially worse with GOP in charge of everything.

For now, yes. But wait until all these "moderate" Republicans defect and bond with their Democratic neoliberal brothers and sisters.

The next two years will be massive in deciding the future of the Democratic Party. With complete control of government they better push through a significant minimum wage hike, roll back regressive tax cuts, and pass other progressive economic policies. If they don't then the progressive cause is lost with the Democratic Party.

I'm very skeptical that Biden, Pelosi and Schumer will get more than window dressing passed over the next two years. Moderate Dems are far less nastier than their Republican counterparts, but they have the same legislative goals. They will always prioritize retaining power over passing impactful legislation.

Then takeover the DNC. You can't win and you will lose everything if try a third party in the next decade or more.

I'm going to stand by my belief that Dump will be drummed out of the Pub Party.
Thus the answer is yes.

I'm going to stand by my belief that Dump will be drummed out of the Pub Party.
Thus the answer is yes.

How is he going to be drummed out? Via impeachment conviction preventing him from running for further office? Maybe, and I hope so. Drummed out of the party by the party otherwise? Hell to the no. That poll the other day still showed him as the most likely nominee in 2024. If he's not legally prevented from running for office again, I'd say there is better than a 50/50 shot he is the 2024 nominee. The Pub party has become a personality cult.

How is he going to be drummed out? Via impeachment conviction preventing him from running for further office? Maybe, and I hope so. Drummed out of the party by the party otherwise? Hell to the no. That poll the other day still showed him as the most likely nominee in 2024. If he's not legally prevented from running for office again, I'd say there is better than a 50/50 shot he is the 2024 nominee. The Pub party has become a personality cult.

Impeach the SOB; ban him from running again. All for it. F him.
But if the effort fails (I give it 50/50) in one year, Dump will have left the Pub Party because he no longer has their support.
What the polls are now saying (for various reasons) are far from what they will be once some time passes.
The guy will turn into a pariah. Only the loonies (see McCarthy) will follow him
Only my opinion. Hope I'm right.

Dude. Memory of this will fade. Republicans are already papering over it. Only chance Trump fades away is because news media doesn’t have to cover him anymore and he won’t be on mainstream social media sites. It won’t be because Republicans turn on him.

Unless he’s imprisoned, he’ll continue to garner plenty of media attention.

Trump raised $260 Million AFTER he lost the election. He just incited a mob to terrorize Congress and it only garnered 10 Republican votes for impeachment despite the fact that he's headed out the door in a week. Some Republicans even openly admit he was culpable but still won't risk an anti-Trump vote.

He has too much money, too much influence, and too many nutjob supporters willing to ruin their lives for him. The martyr worry is a joke - he's a martyr already regardless of whether the Senate convicts him. He'll be searching for the most powerful position in media possible upon his exit, with a mountain of cash and the ability to raise more at will, and doing so at a time when the Republican party is a minority in the country and just lost control of the Senate, House, and Presidency.

Short of his fat ass having a heart attack or just getting sick of the effort politics requires, he'll primary all the Republicans who crossed him, most will lose, the old Republicans will retire, and the next election will be an absolute shit-show.

Trump raised $260 Million AFTER he lost the election. He just incited a mob to terrorize Congress and it only garnered 10 Republican votes for impeachment despite the fact that he's headed out the door in a week. Some Republicans even openly admit he was culpable but still won't risk an anti-Trump vote.

He has too much money, too much influence, and too many nutjob supporters willing to ruin their lives for him. The martyr worry is a joke - he's a martyr already regardless of whether the Senate convicts him. He'll be searching for the most powerful position in media possible upon his exit, with a mountain of cash and the ability to raise more at will, and doing so at a time when the Republican party is a minority in the country and just lost control of the Senate, House, and Presidency.

Short of his fat ass having a heart attack or just getting sick of the effort politics requires, he'll primary all the Republicans who crossed him, most will lose, the old Republicans will retire, and the next election will be an absolute shit-show.

Sadly, I agree with this.

Sadly, I agree with this.

I agree as well. I read a Politico story in which many Republican members of Congress "braced" for criticism when they returned to their home states and districts, but many said they were shocked by the enthusiastic responses from some of their Republican constituents. Some of their GOP constituents apparently asked things like "Do you think they [Congress] got the message?" and crap like that. Unless Trump is legally barred from running in 2024 he'll almost certainly do it again, and will likely get the GOP nomination again. At least half the party (likely more) are still with him, which is more than enough to beat what will be a crowded GOP field of contenders (just like 2016.)

Last edited:
I answered Yes because I thought it was plausible Trump could cause a third party of former Republicans and centrist Democrats to come into existence, but agree he has no need to start a new party himself when he has complete control over the current Republican Party.

However, upon further thought, I think it’s more likely former Republicans will relabel themselves “libertarian” (Amash) or become moderate Democrats (Schmidt). So I’d change my answer to No if I could.

Last edited:
For now, yes. But wait until all these "moderate" Republicans defect and bond with their Democratic neoliberal brothers and sisters.

The next two years will be massive in deciding the future of the Democratic Party. With complete control of government they better push through a significant minimum wage hike, roll back regressive tax cuts, and pass other progressive economic policies. If they don't then the progressive cause is lost with the Democratic Party.

I'm very skeptical that Biden, Pelosi and Schumer will get more than window dressing passed over the next two years. Moderate Dems are far less nastier than their Republican counterparts, but they have the same legislative goals. They will always prioritize retaining power over passing impactful legislation.
I sure hope Trump is dumb enough to split the right wing......

Hold my beer.......

I sure hope Trump is dumb enough to split the right wing......

Hold my beer.......

Trump didn’t split the right wing, he took it over. The Republican Party is his now. It’s a white nationalist party.

The Democratic Party is quickly becoming the party of anti-Trump and nothing more. Long term that big tent won’t hold. Progressives and the Lincoln Project Pubs shouldn’t be in the same political party, they have nothing in common.

Our entire electoral first past the post system is based on two parties. So either you are the "big tent" party, or you don't control anything. This is exasperated by the fact that the right has a built in rural advantage in our system.

The political ideological purity that you are striving for is a guaranteed loser.

then maybe the problem is the political system and not the people who are pushing for a politics that reflects their progressive ideology

Our entire electoral first past the post system is based on two parties. So either you are the "big tent" party, or you don't control anything. This is exasperated by the fact that the right has a built in rural advantage in our system.

The political ideological purity that you are striving for is a guaranteed loser.

The big losers here are the American people. There needs to be massive party disruption and realignment. The two-party system only benefits the investor class, Dems and Pubs alike both shit on the poor and underprivileged. Either it happens politically or it happens in the streets. The unrest and outrage of the last year isn’t going anywhere.

Last edited:
then maybe the problem is the political system and not the people who are pushing for a politics that reflects their progressive ideology
no because you have to engage in smart strategy based on what the reality is instead of what the reality you hope it would be.

Back