• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Trump start a 3rd Party

Will Trump start his own political party?

• Yes

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Mako

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
After Mitch put out a statement that he was "happy" about the impeachment and would "help purge Trump from the GOP", do you think Trump will start the Trump Patriots?

I added Mako to replace Numbers/Doofus. He's here. They aren't.

He's still backed by 70-80% of the Pub party. It is still his personality cult. Why would he need another?

Seems more likely that Romney, Sasse, Murkowski, etc. will break off and form a third party.

This may be stifled if Moscow Mitch agrees to banning Trump from ever holding political office again. Trump certainly won't start a party for his kids.

Seems more likely that Romney, Sasse, Murkowski, etc. will break off and form a third party.

I don't think any of them would start a party as they are smart enough to know it guarantee a loss. Murkowski can do whatever she wants in AK. She and her family are like the Kennedys there. I see Sasse as taking over the GOP in the Senate with Mitch's approval.

I think Trump knows a 3rd party is a loser move. He'd never get elected in a national election. He'd split the Republican party but he'd lose "single issue" voters and nose-holding voters since they would have the old GOP as an option. He'd also miss out on some deep pocket R donors, and we know he hates to spend his own money. It would be a glorious day for the Dems if Trump did start a 3rd party though.

He's still backed by 70-80% of the Pub party. It is still his personality cult. Why would he need another?

Agreed. Until the base dumps him he's still the most powerful person in the GOP, no matter what the party leadership says or thinks about him. He thrives on conflict and chaos, so attacking McConnell and other leading pubs is right up his alley. He's more likely to try to purge the GOP of his opponents, starting in 2022.

The Trump Party is better for branding that loser Republicans.

Exactly. He owns the Republican Party, why give that up? The "moderate" (lol) Republicans are far more likely to become Democrats and a Progressive wing of the Democratic Party to break away.

The Republican Party is now a white nationalism party that revolves around Donald Trump.

If progressive break away, the ensure they will never get anything they want.

If progressive break away, the ensure they will never get anything they want.

Not true. We can always coalesce with Dems on elections if we support their candidate.

The Democratic party apparatus is constructed to hamper progressives so why hang around as the tent gets bigger and more conservative. Start your own party and become the king maker. The threat of viable (10-20%) national Progressive Party candidates will force the Democratic Party left. Nominate corporate stiffs, we run our third parry candidate, and you lose.

And if you do that, you lose AND piss off the people who agree with most of what you want. Any split puts Republicans in and destroys all the hopes of progress.

Without "progressives" like Ralph Nader and Jill Stein we wouldn't have had W and Trump.

No one (other than McConnell) get's everything they want. Getting 70+% of what you want is massively better than losing ground.

Trump will do everything in his power over the next 4 years to continue to burn down our society. If he thinks he can personally gain by starting a Trump party that excludes establishment pubs, then he'll do it.

Can you even imagine the number of rants he'll have on Tucker Carlson and Hannity over the next few years? Woof.

Trump will do everything in his power over the next 4 years to continue to burn down our society. If he thinks he can personally gain by starting a Trump party that excludes establishment pubs, then he'll do it.

Can you even imagine the number of rants he'll have on Tucker Carlson and Hannity over the next few years? Woof.

Of course he can personally gain. He can pay himself and family a vast percentage of the money suckers will send him.

Remember when it felt like Democrats would never lose another election after 2008? I sense the same hubris.

Trump was the symptom, not the disease.

And if you do that, you lose AND piss off the people who agree with most of what you want. Any split puts Republicans in and destroys all the hopes of progress.

Without "progressives" like Ralph Nader and Jill Stein we wouldn't have had W and Trump.

No one (other than McConnell) get's everything they want. Getting 70+% of what you want is massively better than losing ground.

The threat of a Stein or Nader run is exactly what is needed. I have no desire to remain in a Democratic Party that becomes even more pro-big business and anti-labor.

Why start his own party when he already has the GOP? Only way I see him starting his own party is if he realizes it gives him the best of both worlds: no expectation to govern since it won't win and even less oversight to ramp up the grift.

Remember when it felt like Democrats would never lose another election after 2008? I sense the same hubris.

Trump was the symptom, not the disease.
Yep the progressives can't wait to sabotage and ratfuck any type of governing coalition of Democrats.

Back