View Poll Results: Will Trump start his own political party?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 24.00%
  • No

    18 72.00%
  • Mako

    1 4.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66

Thread: Will Trump start a 3rd Party

  1. #21
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    76,290
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    The threat of a Stein or Nader run is exactly what is needed. I have no desire to remain in a Democratic Party that becomes even more pro-big business and anti-labor.
    Except the Dems are for $15 minimum wage, Pro-union, OSHA, other liability and many of the things you support. They also opposed the pro-biz tax cuts.

    If you don't with Dems, as bad as you think think things, they will be exponentially worse with GOP in charge of everything.

  2. #22
    he already has started a third party. It killed the GOP except in name.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Except the Dems are for $15 minimum wage, Pro-union, OSHA, other liability and many of the things you support. They also opposed the pro-biz tax cuts.

    If you don't with Dems, as bad as you think think things, they will be exponentially worse with GOP in charge of everything.
    For now, yes. But wait until all these "moderate" Republicans defect and bond with their Democratic neoliberal brothers and sisters.

    The next two years will be massive in deciding the future of the Democratic Party. With complete control of government they better push through a significant minimum wage hike, roll back regressive tax cuts, and pass other progressive economic policies. If they don't then the progressive cause is lost with the Democratic Party.

    I'm very skeptical that Biden, Pelosi and Schumer will get more than window dressing passed over the next two years. Moderate Dems are far less nastier than their Republican counterparts, but they have the same legislative goals. They will always prioritize retaining power over passing impactful legislation.

  4. #24
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    76,290
    Then takeover the DNC. You can't win and you will lose everything if try a third party in the next decade or more.

  5. #25
    I'm going to stand by my belief that Dump will be drummed out of the Pub Party.
    Thus the answer is yes.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsPop View Post
    I'm going to stand by my belief that Dump will be drummed out of the Pub Party.
    Thus the answer is yes.
    How is he going to be drummed out? Via impeachment conviction preventing him from running for further office? Maybe, and I hope so. Drummed out of the party by the party otherwise? Hell to the no. That poll the other day still showed him as the most likely nominee in 2024. If he's not legally prevented from running for office again, I'd say there is better than a 50/50 shot he is the 2024 nominee. The Pub party has become a personality cult.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    How is he going to be drummed out? Via impeachment conviction preventing him from running for further office? Maybe, and I hope so. Drummed out of the party by the party otherwise? Hell to the no. That poll the other day still showed him as the most likely nominee in 2024. If he's not legally prevented from running for office again, I'd say there is better than a 50/50 shot he is the 2024 nominee. The Pub party has become a personality cult.
    Impeach the SOB; ban him from running again. All for it. F him.
    But if the effort fails (I give it 50/50) in one year, Dump will have left the Pub Party because he no longer has their support.
    What the polls are now saying (for various reasons) are far from what they will be once some time passes.
    The guy will turn into a pariah. Only the loonies (see McCarthy) will follow him
    Only my opinion. Hope I'm right.

  8. #28
    Dude. Memory of this will fade. Republicans are already papering over it. Only chance Trump fades away is because news media doesnít have to cover him anymore and he wonít be on mainstream social media sites. It wonít be because Republicans turn on him.

  9. #29
    Unless heís imprisoned, heíll continue to garner plenty of media attention.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  10. #30
    Trump raised $260 Million AFTER he lost the election. He just incited a mob to terrorize Congress and it only garnered 10 Republican votes for impeachment despite the fact that he's headed out the door in a week. Some Republicans even openly admit he was culpable but still won't risk an anti-Trump vote.

    He has too much money, too much influence, and too many nutjob supporters willing to ruin their lives for him. The martyr worry is a joke - he's a martyr already regardless of whether the Senate convicts him. He'll be searching for the most powerful position in media possible upon his exit, with a mountain of cash and the ability to raise more at will, and doing so at a time when the Republican party is a minority in the country and just lost control of the Senate, House, and Presidency.

    Short of his fat ass having a heart attack or just getting sick of the effort politics requires, he'll primary all the Republicans who crossed him, most will lose, the old Republicans will retire, and the next election will be an absolute shit-show.

  11. #31
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
    Trump raised $260 Million AFTER he lost the election. He just incited a mob to terrorize Congress and it only garnered 10 Republican votes for impeachment despite the fact that he's headed out the door in a week. Some Republicans even openly admit he was culpable but still won't risk an anti-Trump vote.

    He has too much money, too much influence, and too many nutjob supporters willing to ruin their lives for him. The martyr worry is a joke - he's a martyr already regardless of whether the Senate convicts him. He'll be searching for the most powerful position in media possible upon his exit, with a mountain of cash and the ability to raise more at will, and doing so at a time when the Republican party is a minority in the country and just lost control of the Senate, House, and Presidency.

    Short of his fat ass having a heart attack or just getting sick of the effort politics requires, he'll primary all the Republicans who crossed him, most will lose, the old Republicans will retire, and the next election will be an absolute shit-show.
    Sadly, I agree with this.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU71 View Post
    Sadly, I agree with this.
    I agree as well. I read a Politico story in which many Republican members of Congress "braced" for criticism when they returned to their home states and districts, but many said they were shocked by the enthusiastic responses from some of their Republican constituents. Some of their GOP constituents apparently asked things like "Do you think they [Congress] got the message?" and crap like that. Unless Trump is legally barred from running in 2024 he'll almost certainly do it again, and will likely get the GOP nomination again. At least half the party (likely more) are still with him, which is more than enough to beat what will be a crowded GOP field of contenders (just like 2016.)
    Last edited by Highland Deac; 01-13-2021 at 11:56 PM.

  13. #33
    Broderick Hicks
    KickballDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vermont Republic
    Posts
    3,376

    Will Trump start a 3rd Party

    I answered Yes because I thought it was plausible Trump could cause a third party of former Republicans and centrist Democrats to come into existence, but agree he has no need to start a new party himself when he has complete control over the current Republican Party.

    However, upon further thought, I think itís more likely former Republicans will relabel themselves ďlibertarianĒ (Amash) or become moderate Democrats (Schmidt). So Iíd change my answer to No if I could.
    Last edited by KickballDeac; 01-14-2021 at 07:14 AM.

  14. #34
    Boomer Boy Shorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GA's Gilded 6th
    Posts
    7,859
    Sorry, votes on OGBoards polls are binding votes.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    For now, yes. But wait until all these "moderate" Republicans defect and bond with their Democratic neoliberal brothers and sisters.

    The next two years will be massive in deciding the future of the Democratic Party. With complete control of government they better push through a significant minimum wage hike, roll back regressive tax cuts, and pass other progressive economic policies. If they don't then the progressive cause is lost with the Democratic Party.

    I'm very skeptical that Biden, Pelosi and Schumer will get more than window dressing passed over the next two years. Moderate Dems are far less nastier than their Republican counterparts, but they have the same legislative goals. They will always prioritize retaining power over passing impactful legislation.
    I sure hope Trump is dumb enough to split the right wing......

    Hold my beer.......

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    I sure hope Trump is dumb enough to split the right wing......

    Hold my beer.......
    Trump didnít split the right wing, he took it over. The Republican Party is his now. Itís a white nationalist party.

    The Democratic Party is quickly becoming the party of anti-Trump and nothing more. Long term that big tent wonít hold. Progressives and the Lincoln Project Pubs shouldnít be in the same political party, they have nothing in common.

  17. #37
    Our entire electoral first past the post system is based on two parties. So either you are the "big tent" party, or you don't control anything. This is exasperated by the fact that the right has a built in rural advantage in our system.

    The political ideological purity that you are striving for is a guaranteed loser.

  18. #38
    then maybe the problem is the political system and not the people who are pushing for a politics that reflects their progressive ideology

  19. #39

    Will Trump start a 3rd Party

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    Our entire electoral first past the post system is based on two parties. So either you are the "big tent" party, or you don't control anything. This is exasperated by the fact that the right has a built in rural advantage in our system.

    The political ideological purity that you are striving for is a guaranteed loser.
    The big losers here are the American people. There needs to be massive party disruption and realignment. The two-party system only benefits the investor class, Dems and Pubs alike both shit on the poor and underprivileged. Either it happens politically or it happens in the streets. The unrest and outrage of the last year isnít going anywhere.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; 01-14-2021 at 11:05 AM.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    then maybe the problem is the political system and not the people who are pushing for a politics that reflects their progressive ideology
    no because you have to engage in smart strategy based on what the reality is instead of what the reality you hope it would be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •