• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hamburger or hotdog?

Burger, no doubt. Maybe I'm just spoiled living near so many great burger places, but I haven't had a bad burger in years.

One time, I was at Lowe's doing some home renovation shopping, and when I was leaving realized that I hadn't eaten all day. They had a hot dog food truck out there and much to my surprise it may have been the best dog I've ever eaten. The quality of meat makes such a big difference with a hot dog, less so for a burger. Hebrew National is loads better than your standard dog.

Bratwurst is its own thing, and again largely dependent upon the dog. We get some good ones from a local butcher shop that a friend owns. For store bought, Aldi sells some pretty good ones, as to be expected since they're a German chain. I don't know why people bother with Johnsonville anymore, as store brand is likely to be better.

Burger, no doubt. Maybe I'm just spoiled living near so many great burger places, but I haven't had a bad burger in years.

One time, I was at Lowe's doing some home renovation shopping, and when I was leaving realized that I hadn't eaten all day. They had a hot dog food truck out there and much to my surprise it may have been the best dog I've ever eaten. The quality of meat makes such a big difference with a hot dog, less so for a burger. Hebrew National is loads better than your standard dog.

Bratwurst is its own thing, and again largely dependent upon the dog. We get some good ones from a local butcher shop that a friend owns. For store bought, Aldi sells some pretty good ones, as to be expected since they're a German chain. I don't know why people bother with Johnsonville anymore, as store brand is likely to be better.

Agree. HN is our regular at-home dog.

The importance of the casing on the hot dog is underrated. It needs to be strong enough to take a good char and hold the juices in.

The only time I’m picking hot dog over burger is at a concession stand.

Home Cookout? Why not both?

The hotdog is more topping-dependent than the burger. At home I always do both when grilling. IMO, Sabrett is the best hotdog brand you can buy retail. I get them here in Atlanta at Sprouts. Kraut and brown mustard or pimento cheese with jalapeños are my favorite topping options.

The hotdog is more topping-dependent than the burger. At home I always do both when grilling. IMO, Sabrett is the best hotdog brand you can buy retail. I get them here in Atlanta at Sprouts. Kraut and brown mustard or pimento cheese with jalapeños are my favorite topping options.

My wife loves hot dogs and is absolutely obsessed with Sabrett to the point she actually won’t eat other brands. It’s insane. One time early in our relationship I came home with a different brand and she was mega pissed. I didn’t understand it at all but certainly haven’t made that mistake since.

Have you tried Sprouts' Italian sausages? They are good.

i'll take burgers almost any time but i prefer a thin burger over a thick one. like shake shack or whataburger. i do love a hotdog at a game or something, though. and if grilling, will normally go brats over franks.

i'll take burgers almost any time but i prefer a thin burger over a thick one. like shake shack or whataburger. i do love a hotdog at a game or something, though. and if grilling, will normally go brats over franks.

yeah a smashburger with a great crust is far superior to just about any type of burger.

We discovered jalapeno relish. Half a spoon of pickle relish for some cool; half a spoon of jalapeno relish for a little heat. Yes!
Pimento cheese sounds good. I'll have to try it.

Kirkland Italian sausages are pretty good for the money. The casing is a little thick though.

Kirkland hot dogs are my go to whenever I remember to put them on the list.

Kirkland hot dogs are my go to whenever I remember to put them on the list.

The giant 1/4 pound dogs? Yeah, those are really good. Fresh Market hot dogs are good too.

I can’t imagine any circumstance where I’d rather have a hot dog than a burger of similar quality. I like both, the burger is just far superior. And if you live in a city with a Cook-Out, you can have a cheap great burger whenever you want.

In Raleigh, Char Grill is my favorite cheap burger and Angus Barn is probably my favorite expensive burger.

Back