• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden policies - COVID/immigration

you're right, the debate was never about "$2600", because no one was honestly considering adding stimulus check totals together. Like I said earlier, using that very same logic, why wouldn't we also include the $1200 checks in this apparently running total? You used an analogy earlier about getting a payment in installments. That analogy doesn't work, because it implies a sum total. No one ever said that $2000 was the total amount of stimulus being debated, it was being debated as a single payment of $2000, as recently as NEW YEARS DAY.

If you make an offer to buy a house for $300k, and you make a down payment of $30k, do you still owe $300k?

Bernie Sanders sure seems to think $2,000 was in lieu of, not in addition to, the $600.

At the very least, there's nothing concrete either way. Most folks figured when Biden said he would be sending out $2,000 checks that he would be sending out $2,000 checks, since he said this AFTER the $600 checks were on the way or already in hand. It doesn't matter though. Politicians gonna politics

I fall on MDMH’s side here. The promise was $2000 checks. That was the symbol. People in Georgia voted based on that. I understand he lowered it to try to get bipartisan support, which is fine and understandable. But it definitely isn’t what was promised.

This is the weirdest argument I've seen on here in a while.

The language used during election season was deliberately ambiguous. It sure seems like most people were thinking EITHER A) $2000 total or B) $2000 in addition to the initial $600. During a campaign, there's no reason to clarify that ambiguity if the people running against you aren't pressing for clarification.

Now that it's time to cut the checks, I'm sure Biden's economic team looked at the total cost of what he wants to do early on in his administration, looked at how easy it would be to get either the $1400 or the $2000 to pass, and picked one. Then, the necessary messaging follows suit.

If the economy is in freefall in a few months, there's no reason the Dems can't just pass an additional $600 (or any other number) if they think it makes sense.

Progressives: Biden won't do anything.

Biden: In my first bill I am proposing $15 minimum wage, $1,400 relief checks, expanded unemployment, etc, etc, etc.

Progressives: OMG, we are going to freak out on the ambiguity of $2,000 instead of $600.

The entire movement seems obsessed with painting establishment dems as the enemy to get Pubs elected so that they can blame the Pubs being in power on establishment dems.

Progressives: Biden won't do anything.

Biden: In my first bill I am proposing $15 minimum wage, $1,400 relief checks, expanded unemployment, etc, etc, etc.

Progressives: OMG, we are going to freak out on the ambiguity of $2,000 instead of $600.

The entire movement seems obsessed with painting establishment dems as the enemy to get Pubs elected so that they can blame the Pubs being in power on establishment dems.

I wouldn't go that far. Saying team Biden promised a $2000 check and a $1400 check isn't that is a fair reading of the statements.

It will be interesting to see how quickly this political unity breaks down though. Starting here before he's inaugurated isn't a great sign.

This discussion seems like a practical demonstration of a swamp swivel - a mythical bird that flies in ever-decreasing concentric circles until its head flies up its ass.

Otherwise known as the bird of perpetual grievance.

It will be interesting to see how quickly this political unity breaks down though. Starting here before he's inaugurated isn't a great sign.

Yep

It�s likely to be another frustrating time when we could get some decent shit done but won�t. Republicans will again obstruct and Dems will struggle to work together.

Still better than fascist Trumpublicans running things in DC. But will likely prove a frustrating and dysfunctional time.

I fall on MDMH’s side here. The promise was $2000 checks. That was the symbol. People in Georgia voted based on that. I understand he lowered it to try to get bipartisan support, which is fine and understandable. But it definitely isn’t what was promised.

I agree. Explicitly calling it a $2000 check as opposed to something more generic AFTER the $600 checks had passed and gone out is pretty unambiguous. Unfortunate that this distracts from the other good stuff in the relief bill but definitely screwed that piece up imo.

Color me shocked that the president-elect who claimed back in 2012 that Mitt Romney was going to put black people back in chains and blamed "Russian disinformation" for a story on his crackhead son has a loose relationship with the truth.

LOOK AT THE DATES of when it was used. The DATES of Warnock and Ossoff using $2000 were BEFORE the $600 was passed.

NEITHER Warnock nor Ossoff EVER brught up the number $2600.

I get the ambiguity of the 2k payment - with $600 agreed to is the $1400 a true up to get there or was everyone intending $2600? i tend to believe their intention was to get to the 2k that the gop would not go along with originally.

having said that the $15/hr minimum wage is far more important for the long term health of America than an extra $600 right now on top of the 2k. don't get me wrong though, if we need to shut down again (and we should as much as it sucks) we should absolutely be helping people directly and regularly rather than two (oops 3...) band aids in a year.

Color me shocked that the president-elect who claimed back in 2012 that Mitt Romney was going to put black people back in chains and blamed "Russian disinformation" for a story on his crackhead son has a loose relationship with the truth.

how was DC last week?

I get the ambiguity of the 2k payment - with $600 agreed to is the $1400 a true up to get there or was everyone intending $2600? i tend to believe their intention was to get to the 2k that the gop would not go along with originally.

having said that the $15/hr minimum wage is far more important for the long term health of America than an extra $600 right now on top of the 2k. don't get me wrong though, if we need to shut down again (and we should as much as it sucks) we should absolutely be helping people directly and regularly rather than two (oops 3...) band aids in a year.

MDMH must also oppose Biden's massive infrastructure plan that is based on using union workers and a massive infusion to public schools.

MDMH must also oppose Biden's massive infrastructure plan that is based on using union workers and a massive infusion to public schools.

MDMH, WHY DO YOU OPPOSE THESE THINGS !?????

Exactly. It’s not like anyone is going to reject the money on principle, it’s just a stupid way to lie, and frustrating to be gaslit about something Biden said less than 2 weeks ago. I have leftovers in my fridge older than his promise for “$2000 checks”.

Back