• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden policies - COVID/immigration

In my opinion if there was ever a time for the Feds to open up the purse strings to help individuals, small business and anyone else suffering directly from the pandemic, it would be now.
But like all assistance, I wish there was an effective way to determine who needs the help and who doesn't.

In my opinion if there was ever a time for the Feds to open up the purse strings to help individuals, small business and anyone else suffering directly from the pandemic, it would be now.
But like all assistance, I wish there was an effective way to determine who needs the help and who doesn't.

that time was last spring. he failed to act and weaponized a pandemic and the lack of action on purpose. we would be better off had the republicans got on board the science train rather than doubling down on stupid.

I wonder how the program that has restaurants providing meals for people who need them will work. Biden needs to call Jose Andres to run it.

This is a great idea!

Biden also said "$2000 checks" But a lot of this money will be distributed via direct deposit. WTF!?!

$600 a person doesn’t seem like a joke to me - that’s 1800,2400 dollars for a lot of families. That’s back rent money, that’s replenishing savings accounts, brakes and tires, winter coats, medical debt. For some reason it’s just not sinking into this board that several hundred dollars is a very large and important sum of money for most Americans.

Even giving my very best faith in the language used, it’s extremely manipulative for Biden and Dems to have run on vague promises of “$2000 checks” when what they really meant was $1400.

Are y'all gonna split hairs when its a direct deposit and not a paper "check" for most people?

$600 a person doesn’t seem like a joke to me - that’s 1800,2400 dollars for a lot of families. That’s back rent money, that’s replenishing savings accounts, brakes and tires, winter coats, medical debt. For some reason it’s just not sinking into this board that several hundred dollars is a very large and important sum of money for most Americans.

Even giving my very best faith in the language used, it’s extremely manipulative for Biden and Dems to have run on vague promises of “$2000 checks” when what they really meant was $1400.

They always have meant a total of $2000. Even Bernie agrees.

I agree. We should embark on an epic deficit spending project to see our way thru this.

I agree. We should embark on an epic deficit spending project to see our way thru this.

With virtually no interest, lots of people of work and the costs inevitably rising, there can't be better time to do infrastructure. Maybe you phase it in from the south and southwest in the winter to the rest of the country in the Spring.

Progressives: Biden won't do anything.

Biden: In my first bill I am proposing $15 minimum wage, $1,400 relief checks, expanded unemployment, etc, etc, etc.

Progressives: OMG, we are going to freak out on the ambiguity of $2,000 instead of $600.

The entire movement seems obsessed with painting establishment dems as the enemy to get Pubs elected so that they can blame the Pubs being in power on establishment dems.

I get the ambiguity of the 2k payment - with $600 agreed to is the $1400 a true up to get there or was everyone intending $2600? i tend to believe their intention was to get to the 2k that the gop would not go along with originally.

having said that the $15/hr minimum wage is far more important for the long term health of America than an extra $600 right now on top of the 2k. don't get me wrong though, if we need to shut down again (and we should as much as it sucks) we should absolutely be helping people directly and regularly rather than two (oops 3...) band aids in a year.

I’m already seeing complains that Biden is demanding ONLY $15/hr minimum wage.

Are y'all gonna split hairs when its a direct deposit and not a paper "check" for most people?

Anything short of a big ass Publishers Clearinghouse check is gaslighting.

At the end of the pandemic there is going to be way too much debt. Most likely the federal government will eat some of it to prevent economic collapse, like rent/mortgage and state governments. The rest like depleted savings, credit card debt, loans will just be an bigger anchor than before and continue to drag for years to come.

You make very good points. I typed and deleted additional jokes about paper checks being important to lumber jacks and paper mill workers, but you make good points here and jokes feel a bit silly. I'll say this though responding to me with this plea to my compassion for people suffering from this pandemic is a bit of a goal post shift. Ultimately, $600, $2000, or $2600 in direct payments to citizens is not going to get the needy of this country through the pandemic. None of it is enough and that is not Biden's fault. Before Biden had even wrapped up the nomination, Trump was already fucking the Pandemic response and what we are doing now is trying to make the best of an awful and awfully mismanaged problem...you could get really upset about being lied to by Biden, Osoff, and Warnock...or you could conclude that you mis-understood their intent during the campaign.

I think what happened is that they were pushing for $2000. That was what they wanted to get out to the people. When Congress ok'd the $600, that didn't push the goalposts. $2000 was still the goal. The problem was that "$1400 check" was not as catchy as "$2000 check." Consistent messaging is important in politics, and Biden decided to keep the messaging consistent, even though it no longer fit with his actual intent. I wish that he had gone ahead and pushed for the full amount, but we don't know if this version will pass yet either. Maybe it will pass and in another couple months they will reassess and do another subsidy. Ultimately, this is a step in the right direction, even if it isn't quite a full step. At least it isn't going backwards.

And the reason why it isn't sinking in for a lot of people is that $600 isn't a big deal for a lot of people here. All these checks have been luxuries for my family. We used the latest batch as a down payment on a new car (which we did need, but we definitely upgraded). I'm not missing meals without those checks, like some people are. So really, people have to work up outrage for other people they may not know, instead of for themselves or close associates, which is always harder to do. Also, people are glad things may finally be heading the right way, so it is tough to get too angry about something being only mostly good instead of completely terrible like the past 4 years have mostly been.

maybe, but perception is reality

True -- common sense here indicates the number has always been $2000, not $2600, and maybe communication was not great (he said checks, not direct deposit!), but the problem is we have to deal with the perceptions of people who lack common sense.

i wonder why that is

True -- common sense here indicates the number has always been $2000, not $2600, and maybe communication was not great (he said checks, not direct deposit!), but the problem is we have to deal with the perceptions of people who lack common sense.

Fuck you, shoo. I’ve now posted multiple instances of Biden, Warnock, Ossof, Schumer, and Adam Schiff referencing “$2000 checks” in the past 2 weeks, along with multiple Democratic members of Congress who are also complaining about this. What do you have to be condescending about?

There’s nothing “common sense” about arbitrarily adding up the totals of two separate stimulus checks. You’re absolutely welcome to find a reputable quote announcing that the 2000 was going to be split into multiple payments. Show me where someone announced that on tv or said it to an audience. If I missed that announcement, forgive me, but I don’t think any such announcement was ever made to the public.

Fuck you, shoo. I’ve now posted multiple instances of Biden, Warnock, Ossof, Schumer, and Adam Schiff referencing “$2000 checks” in the past 2 weeks, along with multiple Democratic members of Congress who are also complaining about this. What do you have to be condescending about?

There’s nothing “common sense” about arbitrarily adding up the totals of two separate stimulus checks. You’re absolutely welcome to find a reputable quote announcing that the 2000 was going to be split into multiple payments. Show me where someone announced that on tv or said it to an audience. If I missed that announcement, forgive me, but I don’t think any such announcement was ever made to the public.
Because if you're having to explain your message like that in a political campaign you're losing.

Annnndddd here we go....

Stocks slip as investors consider political prospects of Biden’s spending plan.

Stocks drifted lower on Friday, as optimism about President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s plans to spend heavily to address the impact of the pandemic gave way the hard realities of getting the plan through Congress.

The S&P 500 fell as much as 1 percent before recovering some ground. By midday the benchmark was about half a percent lower.

Mr. Biden outlined a plan for $1.9 trillion in spending on Thursday night that he said would address the “real pain overwhelming the real economy.” It includes money to quicken the rollout of the coronavirus vaccine, help for state and local governments to address budget shortfalls, more generous jobless benefits and direct payments of $1,400 to individuals.

On Wall Street, analysts viewed Thursday’s announcement as the starting point for negotiations and political wrangling that will almost certainly produce a more modest package.

Democrats have said they would like to pass the plan through the Senate in a “regular order” vote, which would require 60 votes. But after the Democratic victories in Georgia’s Senate runoff elections earlier this month Democrats will hold only 50 seats in the Senate.

“We do not expect ten Republicans to support a $1.9 trillion relief package,” wrote analysts with Goldman Sachs.

That leaves a so-called budget reconciliation vote in the Senate that would require only Democrats to win a simple majority. But parliamentary rules limit size and type of bills that can be passed using the budget reconciliation process.

“Our back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that more than half of the spending proposals put forward last night do not meet the budget reconciliation requirements,” wrote analysts with Strategas Research.

Investors expressed some disappointment that Mr. Biden’s plan seemed to push off action on infrastructure spending. Stocks that had soared on expectations for a traditional road and bridge — such as U.S. Concrete and civil construction contractor Granite Construction — both fell.

Other areas of the stock market including energy stocks, banksand industrials, which rise and fall based on expectations for economic growth over the relatively short term, slipped on Friday.

As virus cases keep climbing in many parts of the world, anticipation of Mr. Biden’s spending plans have helped keep stock benchmarks in the United States close to record levels.

Those gains have come even as fresh data shows the economic damage being done by the pandemic. On Thursday, it was a report that more than one million people in the United States filed for unemployment benefits last week. On Friday, the Commerce Department said retail sales fell for a third-straight month in December, despite the holiday shopping season.

But investors are also looking closely at the enormous amount of borrowing that will be necessary to finance Mr. Biden’s proposal. Already, Treasury bonds have sunk in value, and their yields risen. As yields inch up, borrowing costs will rise. That has also raised concerns about tax increases to help underwrite Mr. Biden’s proposal.

media rationales for short-term market movement always seem sus to me -- esp. those written before trading ends

Back