• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to convert conservatives

plama

Reaction score
So how should one go about doing it? I suspect calling them idiot rubes is not an effective strategy. If we're actually going to progress as a society, someone's going to have to figure out how to do so.... so how do we do it?

it can't be done until they decide to care about people different than themselves

I don’t think you can make a blanket statement about converting an entire group.

How do progressive Democrats convert moderate Democrats?

“Defund the Police” is not an effective strategy even though the thought behind defund the police would hit a lot of conservative checkpoints.

Unfortunately, “Strategically redeploy police funding to address underlying issues driving crime rates and reduce the need for police spending and allow for more efficient spending and less government waste” is a difficult soundbite.

Tell them you'll give them a tax cut. That's all they ultimately care about. /end thread

Data would suggest that education and living in cities are the best pathways.

Like Jesus!

this is actually true. if conservatives who claim to believe in jesus actually lived their lives like jesus taught then they would stop being conservatives. i personally know of two people like this.

make it clear that you respect their religious rights. i can't tell you how many "christians" i read on facebook who are convinced that they are about to be forced underground. (Note: I also don't really think they're serious when they post this, which is probably part of the issue.)

Meh, I don't see the point. Better to convert non-voters to voters and let the conservatives die out.

Meh, I don't see the point. Better to convert non-voters to voters and let the conservatives die out.

It's easier to talk to and convince establishment Pubs than Trumpites. Hell, most all the establishment types I know already voted Clinton and Biden. Hard to talk to folks who live in a different reality.

this is actually true. if conservatives who claim to believe in jesus actually lived their lives like jesus taught then they would stop being conservatives. i personally know of two people like this.

People who started living their lives like Jesus taught so they stopped being conservatives?

make it clear that you respect their religious rights. i can't tell you how many "christians" i read on facebook who are convinced that they are about to be forced underground. (Note: I also don't really think they're serious when they post this, which is probably part of the issue.)

I think they're serious, but it's part of the false victimhood complex of white American Christianity. White American Christians are in the group in the majority religion and majority racio-ethnic group with the majority of the wealth, business power, and political power. In the Bible, followers of God and Jesus Christ are a fringe group. Jesus was persecuted for his beliefs by the religious and political leaders of his time. White American Christians are the religious and political leaders of this time. It's a weird fit, so they perpetrate this myth that they're persecuted too.

Sure. That could work politically to win the popular vote and 50%+1 in both houses of Congress, maybe even win a few more state houses. But this is much bigger than a political problem. A large portion of our society lives in an alternate reality pushed by political and business leaders in order to keep them angry and fired up to vote, donate, and organize.

I think we need to seriously reevaluate what is covered by the first amendment and what news sources like OAN, Newsmax, and to a lesser extent Fox News can call “news”.

Tucker Carlson and his ilk should be personally accountable for disseminating demonstrably false information under the cover of “news”.

First we must all become singleminded, white, Christians with khakis, new balance sneakers, suburban dream living, American food only, occasional anniversary dinner at Applebee’s. No more isms

I think we need to seriously reevaluate what is covered by the first amendment and what news sources like OAN, Newsmax, and to a lesser extent Fox News can call “news”.

Tucker Carlson and his ilk should be personally accountable for disseminating demonstrably false information under the cover of “news”.

Yes. We need a clear dividing line between news and news entertainment much like the difference between sports and sports entertainment or between ice cream and "frozen dairy dessert." That wouldn't do the job on its own but it would make the job easier.

I think (and hope) shifting demographics will do a good bit to hurt the GOP and conservatives as they currently exist

If you tried to do this legally, I don't think it's going to pass constitutional muster, especially with the court we're going to have for the next decade or so. I think the thing to do is to appeal to corporate America to stop advertising on those shows and channels. Corporate America wants to exist in a democratic republic, not an autocracy. Another thing you could do is press cable providers not to carry OAN or Newsmax on cable subscriptions. I don't think you can get rid of Fox as a practical matter. But relegate the real loony bin channels to the internet.

Sure. That could work politically to win the popular vote and 50%+1 in both houses of Congress, maybe even win a few more state houses. But this is much bigger than a political problem. A large portion of our society lives in an alternate reality pushed by political and business leaders in order to keep them angry and fired up to vote, donate, and organize.

Stugotz posed a political questions about how do we convert conservatives, which is largely a pointless political activity because they are living in an alternate reality. No amount of logic, rational thought, or insults are going to fix the republican party....77% believe Biden cheated to win the election. If the question is how do end the culture of misinformation and assert science and fact-based knowledge acquisition...then sure that is a valuable endeavor but its a looong endeavor that starts in the classroom, I think.

People who started living their lives like Jesus taught so they stopped being conservatives?

at the risk of answering for them, i think so?

they had a hard time living their lives according to the teaching of jesus and continuing to support conservative republican ideology.

I'll offer up my parents as two people who have become less conservative due to their experience with Christianity and church, but that did involve changing churches several times and some non-religious factors that put them on that path

If the question is how do end the culture of misinformation and assert science and fact-based knowledge acquisition...then sure that is a valuable endeavor but its a looong endeavor that starts in the classroom, I think.

“So when the orator is more convincing than the doctor, what happens is that an ignorant person is more convincing than the expert before an equally ignorant audience.”

from 380BC

Back