• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to convert conservatives

I'm not warak, but I have a conservative friend on Facebook who posts all the conspiracy theories. I debunk them as much as possible with right wing links. I used a Newsmax link today with no success. Once the lie has taken root, there is not much we can do.

the problem with this is that they all have seen so many crackpot theories that they think of it as smoke from a fire. You can disprove them one by one, but ten new ones pop out for every one you debunk, and they believe that there's so much smoke that there MUST be a fire.

Makes me laugh that the best way to reach the "fuck your feelings" crowd is to show them respect and coddle them.

I'm not warak, but I have a conservative friend on Facebook who posts all the conspiracy theories. I debunk them as much as possible with right wing links. I used a Newsmax link today with no success. Once the lie has taken root, there is not much we can do.

I tried this with some degree when I began Facebooking a few years ago (Obama was pres) and found the effort entirely futile so I've stopped doing so.

There may be 10% that can be converted and that's a worthwhile goal, but to me the question isn't how to convert but how to combat? How to minimize new "recruits" from being radicalized?

Thinking more about this the only answer is shame. Shame the shit out of "the movement" and discredit its leaders. Make Qanon so socially toxic that people on the fringes will move away from it.

Also start treating these people medically. Being a Qanon truther should be grounds for a mental illness diagnosis. Start labeling these conspiracy theories what they really are, delusions.

My anecdote: My parents are full on Trump haters and have been since the beginning but last night ranted for several minutes about how Democrat Governors are screwing up the vaccine delivery. They have no problem praising the people, like DeSantis, that supported Trump and made his entire shit-show possible. It's hopeless, the GOP is hopeless. We probably need to consider "de-baathification" type policies, or just get non-voters to vote.

the problem with this is that they all have seen so many crackpot theories that they think of it as smoke from a fire. You can disprove them one by one, but ten new ones pop out for every one you debunk, and they believe that there's so much smoke that there MUST be a fire.

Good point. This lady said there was too much "hinky" going on.

Thinking more about this the only answer is shame. Shame the shit out of "the movement" and discredit its leaders. Make Qanon so socially toxic that people on the fringes will move away from it.

Also start treating these people medically. Being a Qanon truther should be grounds for a mental illness diagnosis. Start labeling these conspiracy theories what they really are, delusions.

There used to be shame for being a white supremacist, at least in general society. Back in the 90s and 00s, those folks had mostly retreated in the woodwork, and you would face repercussions for publicly espousing that kind of ideology. But we've regressed in many ways over the last decade, and there is so much more disinformation out there these days. 20 years ago, you pretty much just had Fox, and the Fox personality shows have gotten progressively worse over that period. I hadn't realized Newsmax was founded in 1998, but it really wasn't a big thing until recently. Breitbart was 2007 and OAN 2013. The other big influences were Trump entering the national political fray 6-7 years ago, social media's and Qanon's rise over the last decade, and Russian bots writing fake news stories.

As to where do we go from here, the answer is criminal prosecution and job loss. Everyone who can be identified who participated in the insurrection must be fired by their employers and must be prosecuted and jailed for their crimes. That sends the message that this ideology and behavior will not be tolerated. The other message that needs to be sent is you need 20 or so Pub senators to vote to convict Trump and bar him from holding future office. And judging from McConnell's comments over the last week, it sounds like he's in favor of convicting. And if he's in favor, he can get another 20 or so. Lastly, Trump, Rudy, Junior and any congress members who had a part in that insurrection need to be criminally prosecuted as well, and the house members who took part must be impeached and expelled.

Best part of this thread is people with 100,000+ Internet forum posts accusing others of living in an “alternate reality.”

Never change, boys. Never change.

Best part of this thread is people with 100,000+ Internet forum posts accusing others of living in an “alternate reality.”

Never change, boys. Never change.

It’s an Internet forum that discusses reality, you dumb shit. I can’t count how many conversations you have with your Q cousins.

I know you’re pissed because your con man lost and the Kraken didn’t release. Go somewhere else. Go find a reality where people give a shit about you.

It’s an Internet forum that discusses reality, you dumb shit. I can’t count how many conversations you have with your Q cousins.

I know you’re pissed because your con man lost and the Kraken didn’t release. Go somewhere else. Go find a reality where people give a shit about you.

I live in one. Not on the internet where I need my my e-friends to jerk me off to feel validation. I don’t think you need to see the data on the mental health of those who spend as much time on the internet as you do.

“RrrrRrrRrRRrrrrrr you no agree with me. You Qanon! You go away now because your kind no welcome here! You no think like me!”

Stuff down the benzos, Ph. I’m not going anywhere, sweet prince.

“I don’t need e-friends.”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

LOL

I haven't read any posts on this thread but my answer is you can't "convert conservatives".

If people define themselves as conservatives or liberals, or really anything, then that is an identity.

Only life experiences will change someone's views on the world. Outside opinions and views being pushed on someone will typically only push that person to further extremes.

Granted, in BKF's case, he went from hardcore commie to hard right-winger because of a bunch of elitist, brainwashed Wake grads on the tunnels drove him to it.

Last edited:
Clearly I’m not here for friends, you stupid fuck.

You’re still here though spitting meathead takes from 1995. Everyone is on internet making friends in 2021. That’s normal. That’s how the world works now.

Back