• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to convert conservatives

Stugotz posed a political questions about how do we convert conservatives, which is largely a pointless political activity because they are living in an alternate reality. No amount of logic, rational thought, or insults are going to fix the republican party....77% believe Biden cheated to win the election. If the question is how do end the culture of misinformation and assert science and fact-based knowledge acquisition...then sure that is a valuable endeavor but its a looong endeavor that starts in the classroom, I think.

I agree it starts in the classroom. Another thing that might be helpful is impose a year of mandatory service to the country after high school (not just military like South Korea and Israel), like Buttigieg and Sasse have talked about. You'd be forcing folks from all walks of life to work together for a common purpose that helps the country. I did a year of volunteer service between college and law school and found it enriching. I would think it would also produce a side benefit of giving kids from impoverished backgrounds job skills.

at the risk of answering for them, i think so?

they had a hard time living their lives according to the teaching of jesus and continuing to support conservative republican ideology.

I'm one of these people I think. Grew up in a conservative household, but after really evaluating what I believe in respect to Christianity my political views did a 180.

Of course, it helps that the only Republican president I've ever had the option to vote for is Donald J Trump, but I can't imagine ever supporting conservative republican politics again.

at the risk of answering for them, i think so?

they had a hard time living their lives according to the teaching of jesus and continuing to support conservative republican ideology.

That’s good stuff. Conservativism continues to move further and further from the bare basics of Jesus’ teachings.

I agree it starts in the classroom. Another thing that might be helpful is impose a year of mandatory service to the country after high school (not just military like South Korea and Israel), like Buttigieg and Sasse have talked about. You'd be forcing folks from all walks of life to work together for a common purpose that helps the country. I did a year of volunteer service between college and law school and found it enriching. I would think it would also produce a side benefit of giving kids from impoverished backgrounds job skills.

Take a listen to the 2008 phone call posted over on the sports board. A testament to the above.

ETA:

It us part of the 2020 college football thread. Post #2264.

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/32200-The-2020-College-Football-Thread-Alabama-Unleashes-Bold-Familiar-Flavor-on-CFB-!!!!!/page114

Last edited:
How to convert conservatives? Have one of their kids come home for Sunday with their "friend" to announce they are having a same sex marriage to a person of color.

I think (and hope) shifting demographics will do a good bit to hurt the GOP and conservatives as they currently exist

Conservatives are having kids at a rate like 40% higher. City folk can’t afford kids. Country folk can afford 4

Kids from impoverished backgrounds are probably more likely to have had jobs than those from well to do backgrounds. The question is if their skills are valued in the workplace compared to the cultural capital accumulated by the rich kids.

Last edited:
that doesn't convert conservatives. that usually results in kids being cast out of homes and families. in 2012, forty percent of the homeless/unhoused population identified as LGBT+.

Conservatives are having kids at a rate like 40% higher. City folk can’t afford kids. Country folk can afford 4

yeah, but does that outweigh:

- population shifts to places like Texas and Georgia where things are becoming less consrvative
- in migrating, which is less likely to be conservatives
- my gut says kids of conservative parents are more likely to depart from their parents views than kids of liberal parents, but have no data to back it up

Replacement rate at 40% higher in low population places like the Deep South, Plains States, and other conservative states doesn't seem to shift things too significantly

The people relocating from Ohio, Pennsylvania, and western New York are some of the biggest shit stain "conservatives" you'd ever want to meet.

I mean how many of them are you looking to convert and who are you trying to convert? Convert seems like you are targeting the people that are already too far gone. I mean how many millions of people believe the Qanon stuff? The stolen election percentage of republicans is super high and half of that stems from Qanon. Those people are gone, you have millions of people that think either the inauguration tomorrow isn’t happening, if it does happen then the goal posts move to it not being real and we actually are returning to the original constitution and no longer controlled by corporations from London and Trump will be inaugurated sometime in March, whenever the original inauguration date was, and until then the military is in charge. Basically the majority of America is dumb as shit, and a large percentage of that identifies as conservative.

Kids from impoverished backgrounds are probably more likely to have had jobs than those from well to do backgrounds. The question is if their skills are valued in the workplace compared to the cultural capital accumulated by the rich kids.

True. I think 1 of the best values of such a program would be exposing rich kids at a relatively young age to work in a different area than what they'll eventually do and having them learn what life is like for kids not from their background.

that doesn't convert conservatives. that usually results in kids being cast out of homes and families. in 2012, forty percent of the homeless/unhoused population identified as LGBT+.

One would be a terrible number. Make no mistake about that. This should never happen. It's outrageous that it does.

However, your number is deceptive. According to the University of Chicago:

https://truecolorsunited.org/our-issue/

"According to a recent study from Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago, LGBTQ young people are 120% more likely to experience homelessness than non-LGBTQ youth. Right off the bat, these young people are presented with an uneven playing field. True Colors United is working to level that field so that LGBTQ youth are no more likely to experience homelessness than anyone else. We’ve seen this higher risk reflected in our own research. It’s estimated that about 7% of youth in the United States are LGBTQ, while 40% of youth experiencing homelessness are LGBTQ."

The numbers also show kids are far more likely to be homeless if they are poor and minority. If one is poor minority and LGBTQ, his/her chances of being homeless is greater than the average. The raw number you brought doesn't reflect multiple issues like drug or alcohol being included or others.

Without question too many kids are kicked out for being LGBTQ but lacking context raw numbers can be misinterpreted.

Again, so you don't misinterpret what I am saying. I think it subhuman to put anyone on the street for being LGBTQ.

@Goss

not dumb, devoted to a symbolic system they can't escape from, imo. feels like calling them "dumb" is missing the point.

you get so invested in the clinton body count and obama not being born here and congress' ineptitude and China and cancel culture and the radical left and the lamestream media and snowflakes and nothingburgers and and and and and and and it just gets impossible to walk yourself out of. the whole point is that these shorthands structure nearly every response you can possibly conceive of. intelligence only goes so far. there are plenty of intelligent (say, IQ-wise) Trump supporters that just appear bonkers with how much they've structured their worldview through these things.

liberals and leftists aren't absolved of this adherence to the symbolic system either, tbf. several convos on here that reflect that.

Last edited:
If you tried to do this legally, I don't think it's going to pass constitutional muster, especially with the court we're going to have for the next decade or so. I think the thing to do is to appeal to corporate America to stop advertising on those shows and channels. Corporate America wants to exist in a democratic republic, not an autocracy. Another thing you could do is press cable providers not to carry OAN or Newsmax on cable subscriptions. I don't think you can get rid of Fox as a practical matter. But relegate the real loony bin channels to the internet.

The first amendment provides two relevant protections: freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

I think there is a narrow carve out that you could make for the dissemination of demonstrably false statements using federal airwaves on the basis that such statements are not made in the capacity as a member of the press.

How many lawsuits have people filed where the defense was “I’m an entertainer not a newsperson?”

I'm one of these people I think. Grew up in a conservative household, but after really evaluating what I believe in respect to Christianity my political views did a 180.

This is me as well (although not a complete 180, I've always been just slightly right or left center, but I've moved hard left ... because of Jesus). But I was raised Southern Baptist , went to an SBC seminary and started out as an SBC pastor and because of my faith have moved left politically (and because of my faith have moved away from evangelicalism)

That’s good stuff. Conservativism continues to move further and further from the bare basics of Jesus’ teachings.

The problem is that conservativism interprets the teachings of Jesus for them.

How to convert conservatives? Have one of their kids come home for Sunday with their "friend" to announce they are having a same sex marriage to a person of color.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. I know way too many LGBTQ people who have been disowned by their family on religious grounds.

Back