• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: WF @ UNC-ch -- Wednesday 7 pm ACCN

Neath, Whitt, and maybe Dubose returning soon...we are rebounding ok for a small team...Okpomo is promising...but...

Key to another Loss in the ACC is Massoud not scoring. Massoud must get buckets, even minimally 8 or 9 points, and be a threat, a third threat out there. Going 0-4, and just jacking up and missing a few three pointers, shows a real disconnect to me.

A scorer starts out 0-4 and then keeps shooting or drives and gets to the rim or gets to the line to get going. End the game 4-11 or 5-12 with 2 three pointers, not 0-4 and a bagel. He should get 9-13 shots per game, or less with some FT mixed in, and be told that is expected each game.

We need Massoud.

Was he injured?

We need his offense no matter what Mucius or Williamson do.

Antonio is not a third option. We need Massoud to be, then maybe Dubose is another option and we have something by the last 1/3 of the season. We are close.

If not, then we will keep losing 75-63 or 80-73 or 71-60 and be admirably spunky, improved, last place as expected. Change that.

Its a weird feeling not being pissed and depressed that we havent won an ACC game yet. Thats how happy I am that we have a coach who gets it, and gives a shit. He will get us back to where we belong. Its great to see our guys not give up.

This 0-for ACC start has been more satisfying for me than any win in the [Redacted]/Manning era.

This 0-for ACC start has been more satisfying for me than any win in the [name redacted]/Manning era.

Me too. Bzzz or Manning would've lost by 25 last night. Forbes is keeping us in games we've got no business being in really.

Neath, Whitt, and maybe Dubose returning soon...we are rebounding ok for a small team...Okpomo is promising...but...

Key to another Loss in the ACC is Massoud not scoring. Massoud must get buckets, even minimally 8 or 9 points, and be a threat, a third threat out there. Going 0-4, and just jacking up and missing a few three pointers, shows a real disconnect to me.

A scorer starts out 0-4 and then keeps shooting or drives and gets to the rim or gets to the line to get going. End the game 4-11 or 5-12 with 2 three pointers, not 0-4 and a bagel. He should get 9-13 shots per game, or less with some FT mixed in, and be told that is expected each game.

We need Massoud.

Was he injured?

Antonio is not a third option. We need Massoud to be, then maybe Dubose is another option and we have something by the last 1/3 of the season. We are close.

If not, then we will keep losing 75-63 or 80-73 or 71-60 and be admirably spunky, improved, last place as expected. Change that.

Massoud is a one trick pony at this point. Can shoot lights out (at times). Weak down low on both offense and defense. Don't care if he is "out of position" and neither does Forbes.

We need Massoud.

Was he injured?

massoud is very limited. If he does not hit his outside jumpshot he does little else. Not a good ball handler, too weak to play defense underneath and not a great rebounder. Antonio hustles on defense but can not create his own offense which limits him as well. Dubose and Tariq are the missing pieces unfortunately.

UNC realized that Whitt and Neath can't handle pressure and double teamed them every time they got the ball. Williamson was able to navigate around it but Whitt and Neath looked like JV against the Varsity. Too much is being put on Williamson's shoulders. Looks like he can handle it but geez.

massoud is a fine role player. he shot poorly against unc, but shot well in previous games. it will even out. same w/ mucius, who was getting lots of criticism in previous games after shooting poorly (fwiw, i'm a fan)

massoud has actually been a better rebounder and inside defender than i was expecting (obviouisly not a strength, but somewhat serviceable is good enough) i think he certainly could be a solid acc stretch 4 if he plays within himself on offense.

Last edited:
Loved hearing Forbes yelled at about finishing the game correctly in a game that we knew we weren't going to win. that kind of discipline and expectation setting will pay dividends down the road once we have the talent to compete. We have no post game.

Massoud is a one trick pony at this point. Can shoot lights out (at times). Weak down low on both offense and defense. Don't care if he is "out of position" and neither does Forbes.

How would a kicker do as a LT?

Forbes pretty critical of Neath in the post game press conference. Says he has talent just has to make quicker decisions and play with confidence. Same thing I am seeing in regards to Neath.

Yep, just like we saw last year with Neath. Thought he was like a bull in a china shop last year--put head & shoulders down and head to the basket. Really needs to work hard in the off-season with Chill and develop some kind of signature jumper, floater or something he can score with.

How would a kicker do as a LT?

He is not a college SG. He's a pick and pop SF with limited defense. He either needs to work hard on agility or bulk up to be a stretch 4 who can defend inside. I actually don't think he's playing all that much out of position and Forbes' offence is one in which he should thrive.

He's not a PF or C. If you notice, his best games come when he's moving into shots and running. It's much harder to that while underneath on D. Add to this, he picks up extra fouls by playing big guys.

In this era, unless a SG is combo PG, there is virtually no difference between SG and SF.

Loved hearing Forbes yelled at about finishing the game correctly in a game that we knew we weren't going to win. that kind of discipline and expectation setting will pay dividends down the road once we have the talent to compete. We have no post game.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. He went ballistic. Davien looked over and then calmly made both free throws. As to Davien, I have to say that Forbes' recognition to (1) recruit him to play at ETSU and and (2) know that he can play in the ACC despite his size really bodes well for his ability to assess talent.

He's not a PF or C. If you notice, his best games come when he's moving into shots and running. It's much harder to that while underneath on D. Add to this, he picks up extra fouls by playing big guys.

In this era, unless a SG is combo PG, there is virtually no difference between SG and SF.

He doesn't have the lateral quickness to play the wing right now, and has never reached 4 fouls (only reached 3 twice this season). The question is, do you think it's easier to improve quickness or bulk up without significantly affecting his shot?

I think he and Johnson are interchangeable right now with Jalen being a little ahead on defense - Ish probably gives a little more on inside defense and Jalen is more active in the passing lanes and has more blocks. Should just ride whichever of these two is hot as both seem to be a little streaky - both shooting 36%, but clustered in bunches for both.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. He went ballistic. Davien looked over and then calmly made both free throws. As to Davien, I have to say that Forbes' recognition to (1) recruit him to play at ETSU and and (2) know that he can play in the ACC despite his size really bodes well for his ability to assess talent.

There was a good discussion on his press conference last week about recruiting at a mid-major - having 2 glasses, his high major and mid major glasses. he said it was easy to go into a gym and spot high major talent, but mid-major recruiting was more about projection - he had to ask two questions about recruits: are they good, and can we get them? Getting good players to ETSU was built on relationships and projection of skills.

There was a good discussion on his press conference last week about recruiting at a mid-major - having 2 glasses, his high major and mid major glasses. he said it was easy to go into a gym and spot high major talent, but mid-major recruiting was more about projection - he had to ask two questions about recruits: are they good, and can we get them? Getting good players to ETSU was built on relationships and projection of skills.

That mid-major recruiting experience will be an asset at Wake. Yes, we can get some high major recruits, but we're not Duke and UNC and we'll need the diamonds in the rough types too. Not as much as we do in football probably, but we'll still need that. It sounds crazy given our 0'fer ACC record right now, but I could not be happier with Forbes.

Previously questioned the strategy of continuing to recruit perimeter players, but I get it now. Ody is rapidly improving, Okpomo is an very athletic and has a great frame for a freshman; he may never develop into a solid offensive player, but with his size and athleticism, he will be able to bang with anyone in a year or so. Isiaah has greatly improved rebounding and playing interior D. If Ingraham can return and if WF can pick up at least one solid big transfer player, WF could be OK upfront next year.

WF somehow outrebounded UNC last night and held UNC to 40% from 2, and UNC is among the biggest and best rebounding teams in the country. If WF had been able to take care of the ball and someone other than Mucius and Davien could hit a shot (WF's other perimeter players were 3 for 20 from the field), WF would've won.

Jacobi Neath is so much better than he has played. To finish last season against very good ACC teams, Neath averaged 11 ppg and 4.5 apg (over his last 6 games). With the standard improvement from a frosh to sophomore, there was every reason to believe that he would be an above average ACC PG in 2020-21. Right now, he is afraid to bring the ball up the court. Hard to watch.

Last edited:
Back