• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

University of South Carolina

In addition to the Bass fishing national championship, USC has also won national titles in baseball (twice) and women's basketball in the past 10 years. And the International business program that Stan described as "good" is actually the number 1 rated program of its kind in the nation, ahead of schools such as NYU, Penn, Georgetown, and Cal-Berkeley. But other than that, Stan sounds like he is an expert on the subject.

I'm sorry my superlative was not up to your standards. I knew someone would get their panties in a wad over my post. Yes, South Carolina has a nationally recognized International Business undergrad program. 131 graduates from that program in a school of 35,000. About 1% of the general student population....

Things like international business majors seem like more of a marketing tool than anything. Like Babson is always pitching itself as the #1 undergraduate entrepreneurship program for 20 something years.

Great school if you want to be brainwashed into thinking USC (light) is relevant in anything. Good International Business program but it is small. Otherwise, not much else to hang their hat on. Columbia sucks, is hotter than hell and doesn't offer great business prospects if you are looking for a corporate job after graduation. Alumni network is regionally constrained. Really big school if that is your thing. Obviously, college is what you put into it. However, knew very average hs students making deans list, rampant cheating, ridiculously easy majors, etc.. The average student there was not particularly motivated and paid for an education when all they had to do was pass their relators exam or stay home to work in the family business.

I am sure there are plenty of success stories but they seem to be the exception and not the rule. I just wouldn't recommend USC if you are looking to live anywhere other than the southeast and specifically NC, SC or GA. The good news is, if your kid is motivated, they will outshine most of the students. All that matters to most is the football game on Saturday and that doesn't change for the rest of their lives. Shame they are so mediocre.

Oops, forgot that they won a NCAA Bass Fishing title recently.....

The thing that Stan Gable doesn’t realize is that most people read a post like this, think to themselves man I pray my kid doesn’t grow up to be a prick like this guy, and then completely ignores his opinion.

Last edited:
Why would anyone want to live outside of the Southeast ?

So that you can put on 50 pounds, wear sweatpants and look like complete shit while returning to the southeast for vacation, i.e Ohioans.

The thing that Stan Gable doesn’t realize is that most people read a post like this, think to themselves man I pray my kid doesn’t grow up to be a prick like this guy, and then completely ignores his opinion.

The thing you don't realize is that I don't give a fuck what you think. On a whole, South Carolina is an incredibly average school. That is being generous. Sorry if that hurts some peoples delicate sensibilities.

I’d rather go to Vandy or Florida or Georgia, or any of the 7 ACC schools in VA/NC/SC, but I have it as #4 SEC school. Other than the zoo, Columbia is pretty lame. Their football team doesn’t seem to be trending in the right direction either but at least it’s trending better than Vandy and TENN.

I’d rather go to Vandy or Florida or Georgia, or any of the 7 ACC schools in VA/NC/SC

All of those schools are more difficult to get into than South Carolina, except maybe Va Tech.

Yeah, it's a bit much to compare USC to schools that are much harder to get in to. I don't think there are many students cross-shopping Stanford and USC for instance.

Yeah, it's a bit much to compare USC to schools that are much harder to get in to. I don't think there are many students cross-shopping Stanford and USC for instance.

the real USC, they probably are

How many on-campus car charging stations are there ?

How many on-campus car charging stations are there ?

According to plugshare, USC east has 4 on campus charging stations. One plug in 4 different garages.

USC west has the same amount.

Stanford has fewer stations, but more plugs at each station.

So, my kids are clearly going to Stanford.

I mean sending your kids to college with a car seems very carbon negative and anti-green. Make them walk and ride the bus everywhere. Uber if needed. Save the Earth.

Both my kids go to USC, so I will put in my 2 cents and maybe give Stan Gable some info. My son is a junior, daughter a freshman and btw my wife went to USC. Both kids were accepted to schools that would be considered much higher in terms of academic reputation at this point, NYU, UVa, UGa, Vandy, etc. They didnt want to go to Wake - both kids are pretty liberal especially the daughter. Both have considerable academic merit scholarships and are in the Honors program (which has a very good reputation btw) and love the place. USC is being EXTREMELY aggressive with high school kids that are strong academically. They put on a show for my kids and rolled out the red carpet to get them to come to USC. No other school came close in terms of their organization and presentation to freshman - right down to their first tours before they had even applied. My son committed fast but my daughter was leaning UGa until USC came back later and offered her more scholly money. I was very surprised they did that - I didnt even know any school would do that. Based on this and what I've seen and heard, I think USC is in the midst of aggressively improving their academic makeup and reputation. Several years from now I expect it to have moved up rankings considerably.

Not bragging - just painting a picture of how they chose to do it and many others at USC I'm sure. In fact, their HS guidance counselor (private school) recommended this route. My kids both have 3.9-4.0 GPAs and plan to use this to springboard to the graduate schools of their choice which was their plan all along. And they love the place and are super happy there even though we are in odd times in terms of matriculating at college. Also, IMO USC has done a superb job with preparing and getting through the pandemic - especially for a large university. It's very well run. They do not understand why I went to a school like Wake and still have recurring nightmares at 56 years old about how effing hard it was there. (I sported a sweet 2.6 GPA at Wake after coming in hot as a first semester freshman with a 1.8. ) They are using college to of course learn in their chosen areas, enjoy themselves and not constantly be in the library, and to then head to a strong graduate school which will be what matters when it comes to their careers. I would suspect that their records at USC will be of help when competing for graduate school slots.

Its just one way to go about it. I also used to be a college snob too in terms of you must go to the best possible college but I dont think thats really true anymore. Especially the way it was back in the 80s. Things have changed. In 20 years, you won't see someone as a successful CEO or hot shot lawyer or whatever and just assume they went to an Ivy League school.

Last edited:
only real USC grad I know is my bro in law who is an oral surgeon who also got into Stanford

Back