• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

University of South Carolina

My daughter is a sophomore at USC and absolutely loves it there. She earned a bunch of scholarships/incentives such that we pay the equivalent of in-state tuition, which makes it very affordable in this day and age. She is in the nursing program, which is very well respected nationally.

All in all, we are very happy with it. So fucking glad that she isn’t going to that shit school in Chapel Hill.

PM me with any questions and I’ll do the best that I can to answer them.

Live in Chapel Hill area and SC is a relatively popular choice, sorta SEC Lite and I mean that as a compliment. I know several kids who are considering it for all the reasons highlighted here.

My son applied to cough cough 17 schools. He has heard from 3 and he's 2-1 (didn't get into Stanford which we knew he wouldn't) but got into two others including Furman who threw a ton of $ at him. Waiting for his top choices now which is killing his mom and me. April cant get her soon enough. After all this, we suspect he will end up at Wake. Which is a great fit. I'm pulling for UVA or Hamilton.

Live in Chapel Hill area and SC is a relatively popular choice, sorta SEC Lite and I mean that as a compliment. I know several kids who are considering it for all the reasons highlighted here.

My son applied to cough cough 17 schools. He has heard from 3 and he's 2-1 (didn't get into Stanford which we knew he wouldn't) but got into two others including Furman who threw a ton of $ at him. Waiting for his top choices now which is killing his mom and me. April cant get her soon enough. After all this, we suspect he will end up at Wake. Which is a great fit. I'm pulling for UVA or Hamilton.

I got $$ at Furman (and was going to play on the Golf team as a preferred walk-on), before getting into Wake off the wait list at the last minute. Furman might have the prettiest campus I've seen.

South Carolina's campus is actually pretty sweet for a public school. The Horseshoe (like a quad) is really nice and their student activity center seemed top notch.

I got $$ at Furman (and was going to play on the Golf team as a preferred walk-on), before getting into Wake off the wait list at the last minute. Furman might have the prettiest campus I've seen.

South Carolina's campus is actually pretty sweet for a public school. The Horseshoe (like a quad) is really nice and their student activity center seemed top notch.

He'd be a preferred walk on for football. But he ended up getting like 43k a year to go. Everyone there seems to like it.

Similar situation for me, I thought about walking on and playing tennis at Furman. Based on my academic profile it probably would have been very cheap or free for me to go. Amazing campus and the day we went was just picture perfect, girls everywhere. The next day we went to Wake and the rest, as they say, is history.

I had to google Hamilton

what's the draw there for you?

I had to google Hamilton

what's the draw there for you?

Fantastic academics / design your own curriculum. They really want him to play there and we are family friends with the head coach. Its sorta like the Davidson of New England, which he also applied too.

Went to USC for grad school- loved it and still live in the area (hence my board name). It's been awhile since I was a student but I keep up with the school fairly closely and my buddy is a professor there. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

My daughter is a sophomore at USC and absolutely loves it there. She earned a bunch of scholarships/incentives such that we pay the equivalent of in-state tuition, which makes it very affordable in this day and age. She is in the nursing program, which is very well respected nationally.

All in all, we are very happy with it. So fucking glad that she isn’t going to that shit school in Chapel Hill.

We live a mile from campus and I am so glad he didn't even consider applying to UNC. Our UNC friends are indignant that he applied to UVA instead, ie "thats just UNC at 2x the price....Why would he do that". No, no its not. And fuck UNC.

When my niece told me she was going to med school at CH, I told her the only way that would be acceptable would be if she finished in the Top 10 of her class. She paid attention.

Similar situation for me, I thought about walking on and playing tennis at Furman. Based on my academic profile it probably would have been very cheap or free for me to go. Amazing campus and the day we went was just picture perfect, girls everywhere. The next day we went to Wake and the rest, as they say, is history.

One of my work friends went to Furman and she said the school does a lot to try to get people to pair off and get married. She started dating her husband her first semester and they got married like two weeks after graduating. Good fundraising strategy. More likely to give money if both people went there and it holds a special place in their relationship.

She also might be projecting since that is the story of her marriage, who knows.

My son graduated from USC in the international business program a few years ago. Great experience for him, spent soph and senior years in Hong Kong. New honors dorm at the time and instate tuition for me. Went back for his masters, speaks mandarin now and working in DC. He got in to wake but absolutely right call for him. His sister was at wake at the time. Just shows one size does not fit all.

Great school if you want to be brainwashed into thinking USC (light) is relevant in anything. Good International Business program but it is small. Otherwise, not much else to hang their hat on. Columbia sucks, is hotter than hell and doesn't offer great business prospects if you are looking for a corporate job after graduation. Alumni network is regionally constrained. Really big school if that is your thing. Obviously, college is what you put into it. However, knew very average hs students making deans list, rampant cheating, ridiculously easy majors, etc.. The average student there was not particularly motivated and paid for an education when all they had to do was pass their relators exam or stay home to work in the family business.

I am sure there are plenty of success stories but they seem to be the exception and not the rule. I just wouldn't recommend USC if you are looking to live anywhere other than the southeast and specifically NC, SC or GA. The good news is, if your kid is motivated, they will outshine most of the students. All that matters to most is the football game on Saturday and that doesn't change for the rest of their lives. Shame they are so mediocre.

Oops, forgot that they won a NCAA Bass Fishing title recently.....

Among public schools nationally, they have always been very well-regarded for their first year UG student experience and the support/programming available to students make the transition to college, FWIW.

In addition to the Bass fishing national championship, USC has also won national titles in baseball (twice) and women's basketball in the past 10 years. And the International business program that Stan described as "good" is actually the number 1 rated program of its kind in the nation, ahead of schools such as NYU, Penn, Georgetown, and Cal-Berkeley. But other than that, Stan sounds like he is an expert on the subject.

Haha, with only a couple of exceptions, this thread went very differently than the almost verbatim question once posed by Siff

Bass fishing national championship???

What's next? Pinball? Bong hit? Quad rolling?

Haha, with only a couple of exceptions, this thread went very differently than the almost verbatim question once posed by Siff
After a quick search, I'm realizing this amazing thread was over a decade ago (and on the other board). Looks like littlesiff started at 'Bama in Fall of 2011. Guess we really turned him off off South Carolina.

Back