• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

University of South Carolina

Brangus

Reaction score
It looks like my daughter might be getting some merit aid from the University of South Carolina. I don't really know much about USC and not many people from our area go there. I only know one USC alum, and she loved her time there, but she's a sample size of 1.

Of course we're going to take the tour when Covid allows and do the usual due diligence but this board provides some useful feedback on non Wake issues (along with the expected amount of snark). Any thoughts on USC?

It looks like my daughter might be getting some merit aid from the University of South Carolina. I don't really know much about USC and not many people from our area go there. I only know one USC alum, and she loved her time there, but she's a sample size of 1.

Of course we're going to take the tour when Covid allows and do the usual due diligence but this board provides some useful feedback on non Wake issues (along with the expected amount of snark). Any thoughts on USC?

If you can get the in-state tuition there and prefer it to your in-state NC options, it's a no-brainer. I've got a lot of friends who went to school there and know a lot of parents whose kids went there and they're all proud of their attendance. That includes one kid who chose USC over UNC-CH. It's a very popular school in the Charlotte area.

Since graduating USC LilReff took a big business trip flying first class out west with his CIO and took the clients to play a lot of nice golf. Pumpkin Ridge Golf Course in Oregon where Tiger won his 3rd U.S. Am. The next day Chambers Bay outside of Seattle where he took his biggest client who has put in over $300 mill this year alone. A few weeks later took his immediate bosses out to Arizona & Cali and took clients to play Grey Hawk Golf Club in Scottsdale & the next day Monarch Beach Golf Links in Dana Point, CA. Was supposed to go up to Wisconsin for a couple days at Whistling Straits but the weather turned bad so they cancelled it until spring. In the meantime he belongs to Atlanta Athletic Club and one of his upper bosses belongs to Peachtree Golf Club.

Also, better basketball history and program than Wake Forest.

My sister went there during the Spurrier glory years. Was fun to come down and attend some games. Never had a bad time, and she loved her experience. Plus her sorority sisters were... nice.

As usual Biff has no clue. Over the forty seasons (basically the modern era of college basketball), South Carolina has made the NCAAT FIVE times and one Final Four. Wake has made the NCAAT FOURTEEN times with two- Sweet 16s and two Elite 8s.

To say South Carolina's basketball history is better than Wake's is ludicrous.

EDIT: If you go back to 1939, Wake would add a Sweet Sixteen, three Elite 8s and a Final Four.

Last edited:
So, in men's basketball USC has one Final Four and Wake has zero. Also in the past 10 years, USC has one Final Four and Wake has one First Four.

But I was talking about women's basketball, so there's really no comparison.

So, in men's basketball USC has one Final Four and Wake has zero. Also in the past 10 years, USC has one Final Four and Wake has one First Four.

But I was talking about women's basketball, so there's really no comparison.

ahem
Bones-McKinney-cuting-net-300x268.jpg

Two of my HS buds went to USC, Columbia is a solid college town. Had many a fun night there. Both friends are doing very well as graduates.

I live in Maryland and it's a super popular school up here. Lots of out of state kids go there, and I think MD may be the No. 1 state for out of state kids. Many of the kids here go down for the SEC football experience, but don't want to wear bowties or dumb shit at like Ole Miss or something.

As usual Biff has no clue. Over the forty seasons (basically the modern era of college basketball), South Carolina has made the NCAAT FIVE times and one Final Four. Wake has made the NCAAT FOURTEEN times with two- Sweet 16s and two Elite 8s.

To say South Carolina's basketball history is better than Wake's is ludicrous.

EDIT: If you go back to 1939, Wake would add a Sweet Sixteen, three Elite 8s and a Final Four.

I'd trade our 2 Elite 8's for their Final Four.

Students generally like the school. The alums are pretty loyal. They also don't like Clemson.

It's not nearly as academically rigorous as Wake, but it's a cut above most state schools. It's not even close to UVA level though.

Pretty smart kid from my hometown went there for the international business program, apparently it's really highly ranked?

I have 2 kids there now - a freshman and a junior. Both are on academic merit there.

Brangus, PM me if you would like. My wife also went there.

I was stationed at Fort Jackson for three years. My next door neighbor was a gamecock and he drove me nuts . . . . . but it is a good school.

I believe some of their students had a starring role in Borat.

Back when I was in high school, USC sent me a letter saying they would accept me according to my PSAT score. PSAT. At the time, it came across as kind of desperate; but apparently it has worked for them. :noidea:

Back