• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pitt at WF -- 6 pm Saturday ACCN

Those of us that are being optimistic see how he played the first games against worse teams and think there is a game speed adjustment he’s trying to make right now. Based on his high school rankings and most ACC freshmen hitting the wall at some point, there’s reason to believe.

But yeah, he’s struggling to get his game to this level currently.

Pitt's guards were 6'3" 200, 6'6" 210 Jrs. We survived. Woo hoo

Really happy for the guys. They have been competing their asses off; if they manage to win a couple more, they could get dangerous.

I think whitt is going to be a really good player for us. I mean he should be playing high school ball and he was basically thrown into ACC level play with no preseason. The learning curve is going to be steep and he shows flashes of being a really good guard.

Whitt will be fine, he is 17 and just doesn't have the muscle or experience to compete right now. He is learning and you will see a total different Whitt next season with much more confidence and figuring out "game speed". He is definitely struggling but for Forbes to keep him in tells me all I need to know. Again, it's game speed he can't handle right now. I happy for all of us. Go Deacs..

Whitt will be fine, he is 17 and just doesn't have the muscle or experience to compete right now. He is learning and you will see a total different Whitt next season with much more confidence and figuring out "game speed". He is definitely struggling but for Forbes to keep him in tells me all I need to know. Again, it's game speed he can't handle right now. I happy for all of us. Go Deacs..

I hear ya

but sometimes you can just tell

What a crazy game. How many games did you think we'd win if Mucius went scoreless? Incredible effort from Massoud. He can get torched all he wants on defense if he's going to shoot 80% from deep.

The Whitt bashing is a little unfair in this one - maybe well deserved (even if it was due to illness and/or the ankle) over the last couple games, but 4 assists to 3 turns (just 2 in the 2nd half), and it's not like Daivien was a rock handling the ball with 6 turnovers... Whitt had the assist or score on 13 points, plus a couple big rebounds. Handled it well for a good portion of that critical middle section of the 2nd half.

Glad for everyone to get the monkey off their backs. 4 more good chances for wins coming up.

What a crazy game. How many games did you think we'd win if Mucius went scoreless? Incredible effort from Massoud. He can get torched all he wants on defense if he's going to shoot 80% from deep.

The Whitt bashing is a little unfair in this one - maybe well deserved (even if it was due to illness and/or the ankle) over the last couple games, but 4 assists to 3 turns (just 2 in the 2nd half), and it's not like Daivien was a rock handling the ball with 6 turnovers... Whitt had the assist or score on 13 points, plus a couple big rebounds. Handled it well for a good portion of that critical middle section of the 2nd half.

Glad for everyone to get the monkey off their backs. 4 more good chances for wins coming up.

The '61 Yanks had M&M (Mantle and Maris). After the last two games maybe we have M or M.

Whitt doesn’t have a speed issue. He blew past Johnson a few times but would stop. Made no sense. He’s just making poor decisions that you would expect from a high schooler. He sees the floor better than any point guard we’ve had in the last decade. The problem for him is clearly bringing the ball up the court against ACC level guards who are strong. I don’t think people realize how big of a deal the weight lifting is during the offseason. Whitt didn’t have that. Once he has the strength to face guards like Johnson, he won’t have near as many turnovers. On top of that he needs to learn to take an opening when it’s there. Seems like he’s too relaxed and loose with the ball. Fixable.

As far as the OOB plays go, they aren’t great right now, but players also aren’t executing very well. Forbes said in the postgame interview that he instructed Williamson to call a timeout if/when he’s double teamed so they could burn some clock and then run another play. He obviously didn’t do that, which cost them the turnover.

Big win for Forbes and his team. Really missing the Joel.

Got to go to the game tonight, this team fights and fights and fights. We’re fun to watch and glad we held on, think we will enjoy the product as time goes on.

LOL to everyone bailing on Whitt. Dude just played his 7th college game tonight. Chill the fuck out.

Terrific win. Glad for the guys to get one after being in so many games late. Massoud raining 3s from everywhere. If he and Mucius could get going at the same time we’d be dangerous.

The one questionable thing I have noticed from a coaching standpoint this season is the inbound plays. Particularly on the baseline and when we are pressed. We really seem to struggle getting the ball in.

Saw Whitt live tonight and I can say he’s not a burner, but he’s also not slow by any means. He has a really quick first step and gets defenders on his back hip often but he’s having a hard time adjusting to the length and athleticism of defenders. Obviously this is completely normal given that he was in HS a month ago. He had a great game tonight outside of that late TO. Made some great rebounds and took the ball up the court well to take some pressure off Williamson. He’s going to have a great career at Wake and having him get this PT during this throwaway year is invaluable.

Anyone blaming careless turnovers on Forbes is nuts. Anyone questioning his coaching is nuts. Whitt has a good looking shot and hope he will start taking a few jumpers.

We’re the least talented team in the ACC but they’re scrappy and play hard. This team never quits, can’t ask for anything more than that.

Back