• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Filibuster - Kill It for the Good of Democracy

Schumer got rolled by McConnell. Schumer needs to go.

Schumer has been getting rolled by McConnell ever since Harry Reid left and Schumer became the Democratic leader in the Senate. Having said that, having only 50 seats, and you can't afford to lose a single Dem Senator to pass or do anything, must be frustrating as hell, especially with Manchin and Sinema and a few others who have pretty much said they won't support ending the filibuster or most other progressive proposals.

Last edited:
Yeah. And if Democrats don’t do anything, they’ll get rolled in 2022. Rinse. Repeat.

Not really sure how Schumer got rolled when he didn't make any concessions.

Schumer has been getting rolled by McConnell ever since Harry Reid left and Schumer became the Democratic leader in the Senate. Having said that, having only 50 seats, and you can't afford to lose a single Dem Senator to pass or do anything, must be frustrating as hell, especially with Manchin and Sinema and a few others who have pretty much said they won't support ending the filibuster or most other progressive proposals.

Sinema will do whatever she's told to do. She needs Dem money and power to get re-elected.

If they throw a couple of bones to Manchin, he'll come around on Covid. Maybe set it up so people who make over $125K don't get a check.

The Dems need to call Mitch and others out. You can't play nice with them.

The other day I posted that Democrats in the senate represent 47 million more people than the 50 Republicans...but it turns out I was wrong (according to Robert Reich). Democrats actually represent 41.5 million more people than republicans. Sorry for my error, however, in this case, I think my point actually still stands.

Sinema will do whatever she's told to do. She needs Dem money and power to get re-elected.

If they throw a couple of bones to Manchin, he'll come around on Covid. Maybe set it up so people who make over $125K don't get a check.

The Dems need to call Mitch and others out. You can't play nice with them.

It was already setup that way for the first stimulus right? I think the threshold was 90k or 100k.

Manchin has said he wants it targeted to the poor and people who haven't lost income due to Covid. If they put that in the bill he'd probably come on board.

Dems need to call Republicans who oppose this out by name. It's time they stop being such wusses. The public overwhelmingly supports this bill. Make the obstructionists known and squirm.

Manchin has said he wants it targeted to the poor and people who haven't lost income due to Covid. If they put that in the bill he'd probably come on board.

Dems need to call Republicans who oppose this out by name. It's time they stop being such wusses. The public overwhelmingly supports this bill. Make the obstructionists known and squirm.

Obstructionists like Manchin & Sinema? Isn’t that what a party whip is for?

Obstructionists like Manchin & Sinema? Isn’t that what a party whip is for?

I agree with you on that. Sinema has nowhere to go. However, if they don't buy off Manchin, he could easily switch sides.

I would like to see if they could get Murkowski to switch sides. If it takes giving her a chair of a committee, do it! If she switches on the filibuster and DC statehood, get her!

Apparently it will be necessary to beat a filibuster in order to eliminate the filibuster.

Do you generally whip a hypothetical vote?

yes, support would necessarily be “whipped” before the actual vote came to the floor. Creating a new Senate precedent (nuclear option) would require a simple majority vote, and couldn’t be filibustered. Same for changing the Byrd rule. What process are you imagining?

yes, support would necessarily be “whipped” before the actual vote came to the floor. Creating a new Senate precedent (nuclear option) would require a simple majority vote, and couldn’t be filibustered. Same for changing the Byrd rule. What process are you imagining?

Schumer should not start this fight until he has the votes to win it. Thus the vote roundup needs to happen before the resolution is in the floor.

Schumer should not start this fight until he has the votes to win it. Thus the vote roundup needs to happen before the resolution is in the floor.

Yes, Schumer and Durbin should be on Manchin and Sinemas ass about the filibuster, but Manchin doesn’t listen to anybody, and doesn’t give a fuck about the party.

Senate hasn’t been able to function. I do like how he kind of admits that a dysfunctional Senate is a conservative dream.

How many votes has the senate taken under his "leadership" ? He has made every effort to keep the gop from going on the record for any policy votes.

Back