Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 229

Thread: 2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread

  1. #21
    I'm pretty happy with my adjustable dumbbells from Bowflex

    goes up to 52.5 pounds at 2.5lb increments to 25 lbs and 5lb increments thereafter (til you get to the top weight)

    take up much less space and pretty easy to adjust



    edit: yeesh, just looked it up and they're selling for twice what I paid a few years back on Amazon

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsATS View Post
    We're moving to a new house in a couple of months and the basement gym will grow into a garage gym.

    My wife already has a list of things she wants:
    Soft Box (for box jumps... we have a hard wooden one right now. Feel free to make jokes about my wife's soft box. I do.)
    More dumbbells (our set only goes up to 25lbs now)
    Timer (instead of just using phone)
    Airdyne / Assault Bike

    I'd really like a trap bar. I enjoy deadlifting, but I often have lower back issues. Would be cool for DLs and heavy farmer's carries.
    My wife has a massive scar on her shine from missing the wooden box on a day I slept in and she went to CrossFit without me.

    Our dumbbell set will go from 5-75.

    Iím thinking about getting a trap bar but donít currently have a great place to store it.
    Hungry

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsATS View Post
    We're moving to a new house in a couple of months and the basement gym will grow into a garage gym.

    My wife already has a list of things she wants:
    Soft Box (for box jumps... we have a hard wooden one right now. Feel free to make jokes about my wife's soft box. I do.)
    More dumbbells (our set only goes up to 25lbs now)
    Timer (instead of just using phone)
    Airdyne / Assault Bike

    I'd really like a trap bar. I enjoy deadlifting, but I often have lower back issues. Would be cool for DLs and heavy farmer's carries.
    Might I suggest adding a sandbag to your equipment, sir. I love mine. Also, my wife got me a weighted vest for Christmas and I'm really digging it as well.

  4. #24
    we're about to put in a hook for a punching bag

    anybody do bag workouts?

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    Might I suggest adding a sandbag to your equipment, sir. I love mine. Also, my wife got me a weighted vest for Christmas and I'm really digging it as well.
    I've been looking at those. They seem pretty overpriced. Any recs?

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnydeac View Post
    I've been looking at those. They seem pretty overpriced. Any recs?
    The vest or sandbag?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by tiltdeac View Post
    Anybody have a rowing machine. I need to find some type of cardio that I don't hate.
    I have a waterrower.

    Rowing, if done correctly, is a great workout. Very akin to swimming in that you are using lots of muscle groups and you are not sore the next day.

    It is boring though. Iím probably going to start doing some classes online to see if that helps. I have done long rows - 30+ minutes - and sometimes go with sprints that are very hard to sustain for 1 minute. You can switch grips and work biceps and rest other muscles intermittently. Surprised how much of a leg workout you get from it.

    Highly suggest downloading podcasts or music or having tv on in front of you - because again, it is boring as shit without it and hard to stay motivated if not doing sprints.

  8. #28
    I was really into fitness in 2020.

    Fitness big dick in Mako's mom !

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    The vest or sandbag?
    Or a wife?
    Hungry

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    we're about to put in a hook for a punching bag

    anybody do bag workouts?
    Go light and make sure you wrap your knuckles and wrists. Have you ever spent any time working a bag? It's not quite what you expect at first.

  11. #31

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    nope, never done it
    Yeah it's significantly less fun than you think it would be, in my experience.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    The vest or sandbag?
    Sandbag

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnydeac View Post
    Sandbag
    TBH I have a country version of it that's worked perfectly and cost next to nothing. I just bought a 50 lb bag of kids play sand, put it into a burlap sack and sewed it up, and chucked that into an old soccer bag that I had. It's been durable for slams and drops for two years now and it really helps with grip strength workouts and functional movements.

    You can definitely spend a ton on those, though.

  15. #35
    Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    DeacsATS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    9,223
    Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    Might I suggest adding a sandbag to your equipment, sir. I love mine. Also, my wife got me a weighted vest for Christmas and I'm really digging it as well.
    You literally just mentioned the two things she as on her list that I forgot about.

    I don't see the point of a sandbag. More specifically, I don't see the point of a single sandbag at a weight that she'll use but I cannot get much out of.

    The weighted vest I can get behind. We're just trying to find one that we like. What did you get?

    One of the best things about not being a member of a gym or any type of fitness center is that when we buy equipment it's easy to justify... It's still ultimately cheaper than what we were paying before.

  16. #36
    Primary OGB Benefactor
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    40,081

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsATS View Post
    You literally just mentioned the two things she as on her list that I forgot about.

    I don't see the point of a sandbag. More specifically, I don't see the point of a single sandbag at a weight that she'll use but I cannot get much out of.

    The weighted vest I can get behind. We're just trying to find one that we like. What did you get?

    One of the best things about not being a member of a gym or any type of fitness center is that when we buy equipment it's easy to justify... It's still ultimately cheaper than what we were paying before.
    The wife bought me a Runmax pro which is super nice but a lot more expensive than I would've bought if I were buying it for myself, but there's a lot of solid static weight brands out there without the removable weights that you can get for less than 60, and I really don't think you need much more than 20 lbs.

  18. #38
    Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    DeacsATS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    9,223
    Quote Originally Posted by mako1331 View Post
    The wife bought me a Runmax pro which is super nice but a lot more expensive than I would've bought if I were buying it for myself, but there's a lot of solid static weight brands out there without the removable weights that you can get for less than 60, and I really don't think you need much more than 20 lbs.
    Yeah, it's more for her. I am my own weight vest at the moment.

    It reminds me of when I bought a belt a few months ago for weighted pull-ups and dips. I had gotten to the point where I could bang out like 10-11 pull-ups, so I got the belt to try to get stronger without killing my fragile shoulders by doing a ton of reps. And then I stopped doing pull-ups for a while and now I suck at them again. But I have the cool belt! Looks badass when I put a couple of weights on it and then struggle to do 2 pull-ups.

  19. #39
    My gym was a victim of COVID19. In its place is some local Planet Hollywood wanna be. By that I mean no squat racks and I think even a "be quiet" rule. It sucks because it was ideal - easy to walk to meaning I never had an inconvenience excuse. I think it's key to minimize excuses. "Gym closing in a pandemic" is a pretty decent excuse though for my lack of adherence.

    Anyway, my Fitbit broke so I can't join your group. I won't be replacing it because after using one for so long I've got a good handle on steps taken and calories burned from such activity.

  20. #40
    Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    DeacsATS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    9,223
    I just took a break from work and ran 3 miles around the neighborhood.

    It's always a nice reminder of how much I hate running. Was nice to be outside, though.

    8:30 pace tells me I have some serious work to do over the next few months.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •