• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

Same with the pull ups. I didn't do pullups for about a month and it felt like I had never done them in my life.

That's the problem with pullups, especially as you get older. Plus, they are very contingent upon how much you weigh. If you put on just a few pounds, you want to shoot yourself before doing another one. If you put on 10, forget about it.

When I was a kid and weighed next to nothing, I could knock out 20+ easily, and those were real pull-ups, not the kipping shit that passes for them today. All the way up and all the way down and your legs not giving you an advantage. Over the years when I've gone back to them, I always start off barely doing any, but then can work into the teens after a while if I put any work into at all. Last time I was in shape I think I could do around 16, but it's just not an important exercise for me anymore, nor is lifting really. Plus I weigh a lot more than I did when I was in HS so it isn't fun.

Side note-- I bought a bike and did the Peloton app thing and got bored with it just as I thought I might. Thankfully, I did not go overboard with the bike purchase, thinking that I might burnout. I'm back to the old standby P90X workouts. Those are great and even though I've done them a million times, I'd rather listen to Tony Horton's corny jokes than pedal for 30 minutes.

I use the assisted pullup machine and don't even care what people think. Plus I can feel the stress on my shoulders and elbows when I do pullups raw. F pullups.

That reminds me, I got in a fight in 7th grade because I knocked out every part of the Presidential Fitness Test except pullups and another kid made fun of me. I really wanted that patch. I was already super pissed already and that sent me over the edge. I pummelled his face for 30 seconds in the locker room until he tackled me and I broke my finger on the bench.

Started doing a nightly 5 minute core strength workout through the Peloton app on our Roku and on day four my gut is constantly sore. So I guess its working. Diet is still going strong too. I don't get hungry before 11:30 am ever, and pissed on a strip this morning and my ketones are firing.

We're getting so cut this summer boys.

Last edited:
Hurt the ball of my foot/big toe last week, at least bruised but hopefully not stress fractured. Per google it sounds like sesamoiditis. So now I feel like I shouldn’t run till that clears up and I feel gross. The rower is a comparatively poor mans version of a cardio workout.

I think I partially tore my rotator cuff -- or something else not good -- at Wake lifting more than I should have been and I've had nagging shoulder issues ever since

about five or so years ago, I was hanging out with my buddy and his kids on the playground and was doing pullups on the two parallel monkey bars and my left should came clear out the socket but went right back in on its own

ever since, it came out once or twice a year -- playing basketball, diving into water -- and I've really focused on doing strengthening exercises across the shoulder

it still slips around a good bit, most recently almost came out doing a side plank-type pose during yoga, but seems to help prevent the full dislocations -- I can't do my pull-up grip out too wide or it's too much

shoulders are weird

I think I partially tore my rotator cuff -- or something else not good -- at Wake lifting more than I should have been and I've had nagging shoulder issues ever since

about five or so years ago, I was hanging out with my buddy and his kids on the playground and was doing pullups on the two parallel monkey bars and my left should came clear out the socket but went right back in on its own

ever since, it came out once or twice a year -- playing basketball, diving into water -- and I've really focused on doing strengthening exercises across the shoulder

it still slips around a good bit, most recently almost came out doing a side plank-type pose during yoga, but seems to help prevent the full dislocations -- I can't do my pull-up grip out too wide or it's too much

shoulders are weird

Yes, and hard to make whole again once you've tweaked them. I've had no rotator cuff injury, but I feel it during certain exercises, and that's my body telling me to cool it. Pull ups definitely aren't good for them.

I have one particularly bad ankle that I've twisted a zillion times and every time I think it's almost right, it gets tweaked again. Same type of deal there as a shoulder injury. All you can do is exercise and try to strengthen that area so that it is less inclined to sprain.

Shoulder could be an old labrum injury. Ankle could be meniscus.

I need to find some quick and easy snacks during the day. I’m hungry all of the time.

I’ll eat a big healthy breakfast and 30 minutes later wonder what’s for breakfast.

I need to find some quick and easy snacks during the day. I’m hungry all of the time.

I’ll eat a big healthy breakfast and 30 minutes later wonder what’s for breakfast.

I struggle with this, too. Because if I'm hungry, I'm going to eat regardless of what I have around.

I usually snack on pumpkin seeds and other nuts (mostly almonds). I also like Quest bars.

Hey ATS, as of this morning, I'm back benching 3 plates, bro. I'm just gonna barrel straight through these obstacles.

i've started eating a lot of greek yogurt. that and a banana around 1:00 keeps me somewhat satisfied until dinner, but i'll normally have another small snack around 3:00 or 4:00.

I make a big batch of oatmeal in the morning with peanut butter, blueberries, and a banana -- eat half before work, half later in the morning

pistachios, triscuits, fruit, and carrots/hummus are my main snacks during the day

I had a pretty solid fitness routine until Covid killed it:

swim 1-2X per week
weights 3X per week
run or walk to fill in the gaps

haven't swam or lifted in the gym since March, although I do have a decent home gym setup which I do use some (no squat rack)

after slipping up a bit in late 2020, I am re-committed although still not in the gym - so lots of walking/running to supplement the home gym sessions

my go-to snack is plain nonfat Greek yogurt (buy the quart tub, have 8 oz at a time) with probably a half-cup blueberries and sometimes blackberries and/or strawberries

If I'm out of yogurt, almonds are next up

Back