• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

It’s important to keep in mind that nothing, including keto diets, can defeat the calorie balance equation: To lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you absorb. But there are two mechanisms by which a keto diet might help you do that: It could leave you satiated on fewer calories, so you take in less, and it could increase the rate at which your body burns energy, so you expend more.

That's the big part for me. I'm openly intaking around 1000-1250 calories/day and I never get hungry. The fasting element (normally 16-18 hours) helps with that as well. After 3-4 days I just got used to not intaking more than 50 calories between 7pm and noon. The only downside is that my Peloton power is down. Can't crush rides anymore without the carbs.

Do you hate everything and everyone? That seemed to be a common complaint about the keto diet as well.

Also, how does Planet Fitness survive?

I accidentally bought a keto version of Halo Top and it was not good

Do you hate everything and everyone? That seemed to be a common complaint about the keto diet as well.

Nah I think that just happens to the ladies who go on Keto. My wife turned into a straight B when she did it with me a couple years ago. I’ve heard similar stories about other females. I feel great and healthy AF.

It’s important to keep in mind that nothing, including keto diets, can defeat the calorie balance equation: To lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you absorb. But there are two mechanisms by which a keto diet might help you do that: It could leave you satiated on fewer calories, so you take in less, and it could increase the rate at which your body burns energy, so you expend more.

That's the big part for me. I'm openly intaking around 1000-1250 calories/day and I never get hungry. The fasting element (normally 16-18 hours) helps with that as well. After 3-4 days I just got used to not intaking more than 50 calories between 7pm and noon. The only downside is that my Peloton power is down. Can't crush rides anymore without the carbs.

did you ease in to the fasting or just jump right in? My only hesitation with keto/fasting is the booze element. I'd like to keep my booze.

did you ease in to the fasting or just jump right in? My only hesitation with keto/fasting is the booze element. I'd like to keep my booze.

Just jumped in. Started New Years Day and did it along with Dry January. Let myself celebrate with pizza and beer on last Saturday night, and then got back on the train Sunday. I should be back in ketosis by now, will pee on a keto strip in the morning to confirm. Hoping to lose another 10 this month.

I plan on allowing myself to drink on Friday nights and Saturdays moving forward. Which is fine by my past experience as long as you stick to plain liquor and the occasional lite beer. It may slow down weight loss a little but you’ll stay in ketosis and continue to lose weight, even if you aren’t fasting on the weekends because of the alcoholic calories at nights. Intermittent fasting 4-5 nights/week is better than none.

Last edited:
Doing some googling around and it sounds like going keto after having your gall bladder taken out is probably not a great idea. I should probably go more towards Mediterranean Diet.

FWIW, I went the Keto cycling route. 5 days on per week, weekends I take off. I do Territory Keto reset meals for lunches, cook Keto-friendly stuff for dinners. Coffee breakfasts to limit eating hours. Some bourbon and a glass of red wine on occasion at night. During the weekends it's pretty much whatever I feel like.

Compared to friends who went hardcore Keto, my results were certainly slower. But they were still legit, plus it's been easier to keep going for months at a time. Overall it feels like a relatively easy lifestyle change and the results have been excellent.

A few years ago, I bought a set of those Perfect Push-up things, and got into a good routine of doing one max set 3 days a week, immediately after upper-body lifting. Eventually, I got to where I was doing over 80 per set. Then el bebito came along and decided to bring home from daycare every communicable disease known to man. I've still kept up with the sets themselves, but after missing entire weeks due to illness and/or not pushing myself as hard, I was down to 65 push-ups at my last workout. I'll set my goal as adding one push-up per set per week and being back to 80 by June 1.

I guess having a diet with rules and whatnot is helpful for some people, but to me, the principles of eating healthy are super straightforward and don't involve peeing on strips to determine ketosis or whatever

A few years ago, I bought a set of those Perfect Push-up things, and got into a good routine of doing one max set 3 days a week, immediately after upper-body lifting. Eventually, I got to where I was doing over 80 per set. Then el bebito came along and decided to bring home from daycare every communicable disease known to man. I've still kept up with the sets themselves, but after missing entire weeks due to illness and/or not pushing myself as hard, I was down to 65 push-ups at my last workout. I'll set my goal as adding one push-up per set per week and being back to 80 by June 1.

That is impressive.

I think I might be able to do 80 push-ups in one session if I break them up into sets of 20 and take a little rest in between.

Maybe.

That is impressive.

I think I might be able to do 80 push-ups in one session if I break them up into sets of 20 and take a little rest in between.

Maybe.

Yeah, busting out more than 20 pushups with good form at one go is solid. After around 40 straight I wouldn't call what I'm doing a pushup anymore.

Chest exercises have always come easily for me. On the other hand, I couldn't even jog the 5 miles for a Spartan race, much less do the obstacles in between.

Chest exercises have always come easily for me. On the other hand, I couldn't even jog the 5 miles for a Spartan race, much less do the obstacles in between.

Chuck? Is that you, Chuck?

amato1-DMID1-5dxa9zyzc-320x240.jpg

The only thing that has ever worked reliably for us is counting calories and monitoring macros. Just buy a scale and log everything you eat/drink in an app like myfitnesspal. I know having strict rules and elimination diets works for some folks, but doing it this way has one rule: if you consume it you log it. I never feel guilty about anything I eat/drink this way either since I always know where I stand.

Having a family history of high cholesterol has really helped me out in general, because I'm not trying to be on Lipitor before I'm 40. I'm not a sweets kinda guy, so taking out food with high saturated fat content keeps my diet where it needs to maintain a healthy weight.

So it seems that Marjorie Taylor Greene's life started to change when she quit her job as CFO of the family construction company in 2011, and opened a Crossfit gym.

Back