• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

DeacsATS

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
Reaction score
Remembered recently that there was a 2017 edition of this thread that I found helpful as I was trying to get into better shape (link below).

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...htloss-Accountability-Thread?highlight=weight

Thought it might be worth bringing it back for 2021 since I'm focusing on improving my general fitness (and it's all about me).

Also thought it would be fun to connect to others on Fitbit (if anyone still uses it other than me). My username is: DeacsATS

Stats: 6'2", 205lbs
Goals: I'd like to drop a few pounds, since I am getting older (42) and my body would probably thank me for being a bit leaner... Call it 195-200lbs. Would like to be better at bodyweight exercises... I had focused on this over the summer a bit and saw some improvement. Would like to get back to being able to do 10 dead hang pull-ups from current 6-7. Also doing Tough Mudder in Atlanta in late-April, so I'd like to not embarrass or hurt myself.

Signed the wife up for Street Parking as a Christmas gift and I've really enjoyed the workouts they post. Have been following that programming for the last 4 weeks and I think it's been helpful. Keeps me motivated and I've been feeling better overall (better sleep, not as achy, more energy).

Anyone else using the new year as a catalyst for getting in better shape?

Last edited:
I used Covid as a catalyst, losing 40 lbs. But it gave me the turbo boost into this year to stay leaner and work out harder. I have an Apple watch to monitor my workouts, but I got one of those heart rate bands (MyZone) that goes around your midsections and that has been the biggest workout motivator I've ever had. Since I started with it, my workouts have been much more productive and I've burned a ton more calories. Highly recommend.

Remembered recently that there was a 2017 edition of this thread that I found helpful as I was trying to get into better shape (link below).

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/27194-2017-Workout-Weightloss-Accountability-Thread?highlight=weight

Thought it might be worth bringing it back for 2021 since I'm focusing on improving my general fitness (and it's all about me).

Also thought it would be fun to connect to others on Fitbit (if anyone still uses it other than me). My username is: DeacsATS

Stats: 6'2", 205lbs
Goals: I'd like to drop a few pounds, since I am getting older (42) and my body would probably thank me for being a bit leaner... Call it 195-200lbs. Would like to be better at bodyweight exercises... I had focused on this over the summer a bit and saw some improvement. Would like to get back to being able to do 10 dead hang pull-ups from current 6-7. Also doing Tough Mudder in Atlanta in late-April, so I'd like to not embarrass or hurt myself.

Signed the wife up for Street Parking as a Christmas gift and I've really enjoyed the workouts they post. Have been following that programming for the last 4 weeks and I think it's been helpful. Keeps me motivated and I've been feeling better overall (better sleep, not as achy, more energy).

Anyone else using the new year as a catalyst for getting in better shape?

You're about to be held accountable, Mako style.

You're about to be held accountable, Mako style.

giphy.gif

been getting into lifting again over the past few months, but just keep doing the same handful of lifts over and over

what are some strength training -- the regular kind -- programs youses do?

I use the Body Fit app from Bodybuilding.com.

There are plenty of plans you can track.

Anybody have a rowing machine. I need to find some type of cardio that I don't hate.

I bought a power rack and weights in August and used my bonus to buy dumbbells that should be here in a couple of weeks. I have run out of excuses.

My wife got a peloton for her birthday which I need to use more.

been getting into lifting again over the past few months, but just keep doing the same handful of lifts over and over

what are some strength training -- the regular kind -- programs youses do?

I've always been a big fan of the Wendler 5/3/1 programs for adding strength. And there are a number of variations of it that can help to keep it fresh.

Anybody have a rowing machine. I need to find some type of cardio that I don't hate.

I have a Concept 2 and use it pretty much every day, even if just for a warm-up.

The longer I've had it, the more I hate rowing. Not sure what the takeaway is there.

I rarely do it for longer than 10 minutes, though... It is usually intervals of fast and then slower "rest" periods, or just a 500m warm-up for a couple of minutes. If I am going to do some long-term steady state cardio, it's usually a longer, slower run for me.

our fitness room does not have a power rack, but it's on our list to buy in the next year or two

hard to do real squats without one

our fitness room does not have a power rack, but it's on our list to buy in the next year or two

hard to do real squats without one

Learning to squat properly and putting it into my routine at least twice a week as been the biggest net positive for my overall workout regimen.

Throw some cleans and deadlifts in there too, bro. Good times.

Learning to squat properly and putting it into my routine at least twice a week as been the biggest net positive for my overall workout regimen.

Throw some cleans and deadlifts in there too, bro. Good times.

Do you use a trap bar or straight bar for your deadlifts

Do you use a trap bar or straight bar for your deadlifts

It's probably not popular, but I like the trap bar because it ensures you're gonna really get your core set and lift mainly with your legs, and the last thing I need at my advanced age is to blow out my lower back.

But if I'm doing low weight, high rep stuff for Crossfit workouts I go standard.

We're moving to a new house in a couple of months and the basement gym will grow into a garage gym.

My wife already has a list of things she wants:
Soft Box (for box jumps... we have a hard wooden one right now. Feel free to make jokes about my wife's soft box. I do.)
More dumbbells (our set only goes up to 25lbs now)
Timer (instead of just using phone)
Airdyne / Assault Bike

I'd really like a trap bar. I enjoy deadlifting, but I often have lower back issues. Would be cool for DLs and heavy farmer's carries.

Back