• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

I just took a break from work and ran 3 miles around the neighborhood.

It's always a nice reminder of how much I hate running. Was nice to be outside, though.

8:30 pace tells me I have some serious work to do over the next few months.

If you're at 8:30 you're not too bad, big guy. How fast does your wife run?

I have a waterrower.

Rowing, if done correctly, is a great workout. Very akin to swimming in that you are using lots of muscle groups and you are not sore the next day.

It is boring though. I’m probably going to start doing some classes online to see if that helps. I have done long rows - 30+ minutes - and sometimes go with sprints that are very hard to sustain for 1 minute. You can switch grips and work biceps and rest other muscles intermittently. Surprised how much of a leg workout you get from it.

Highly suggest downloading podcasts or music or having tv on in front of you - because again, it is boring as shit without it and hard to stay motivated if not doing sprints.

I have a rower too. Mines a cheaper one with magnetic resistance. But it’s held up well for being used 4x a week for most of 2020. It helps that I put it right by the TV and put on a good show. I watched all of Bojack Horseman over the summer.

My rowing sessions are usually 25-30 mins and over time I developed little routines with targets to switch up resistance so it helps the monotony there too.

But agreed on the full body workout - I do it mainly for cardio to work out the old ticker but it also does stuff for arms, abs and legs. By the end of the week my legs would be the most tired.

These days I mostly just run outside - I love running in the cold. Once the warmth comes back I’ll probably row more.

Not sure I’d be a good candidate for the group although I do have a Fitbit. I just try to get legit cardio exercise 4 days a week (I.e. more cardio intensive than just the 20 min walk I take at lunch with the dog), but I’m not training for anything or losing weight though.

I'm about to begin that 75 day hard challenge everyone has been talking about on Monday. It's gonna suck so much.

I was inspired by Ats and decided to go for an easy little 3 miler before our game tonight. I had a particularly brutal leg session this morning before work, but I thought that my legs would have recovered enough to go for a nice easy jog by this point. I was sadly mistaken.

If you're at 8:30 you're not too bad, big guy. How fast does your wife run?

Closer to 7 min miles, but she’s only good for a few miles at a time.

If we ran a 5K, I’d be 26+ min and she’d be 22ish.

We don’t run together anymore.

Closer to 7 min miles, but she’s only good for a few miles at a time.

If we ran a 5K, I’d be 26+ min and she’d be 22ish.

We don’t run together anymore.

Welp, time to really start speed training.

I was inspired by Ats and decided to go for an easy little 3 miler before our game tonight. I had a particularly brutal leg session this morning before work, but I thought that my legs would have recovered enough to go for a nice easy jog by this point. I was sadly mistaken.

Yeah, I did a bunch of back rack lunges yesterday, so today’s run was supposed to be a sort of active rest. I didn’t realize how tight I was going to be after sitting at my computer from like 630am to 230pm.

I’ll be more sore tomorrow than I was this morning, for sure.

But agree with the other post that running in this 40-55 degree weather is great.

Welp, time to really start speed training.

She’s built like a bird, though. Hollow, weak bones. The obstacles will wear her down.

And she gets emotional when she pushes herself.

She’ll be crying before we finish the mudder, I promise.

Doing our annual Whole 30 reset, usually in January. While I know the diet isn't for everyone, and there are some particularly bad reviews out there, we really enjoy it. It's also much easier to do it this year and a pandemic when we're almost entirely antisocial anyways. I think I'll probably lose 5% body weight (almost entirely fat) in the 30 days, and my digestion and energy levels have been better. Man am I craving some greasy pizza, though.

Feel real good about my 30 minutes playing Ring Fit Adventure after reading this thread.

Managed a 725 output on a 45 minute HIIT and Hills ride yesterday for a personal Peloton best. Trying to do 6 rides a week for January and February, 30 minute rides each morning, 45 minute ride Saturday, Sunday rest. I've been really happy with how efficient the workouts are, and they're easy to stick to. Questionable investment prior to COVID, but well worth it over the past year.

Anyone that has Beachbody on Demand should check out "Ten Rounds"
Terrific core/weight lifting/agility program. 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Has really helped me with low back pain I was getting at the end of the day.

I've got to get in on this. Topped 184 last night and power numbers are too low on the bike to support that weight and still go fast uphill, so time to drop the lbs.

I'm thinking these 3 changes, layering one on every other week:
Week 1- Kick start with intermittent fasting. No eating before noon unless I need to fuel a specific workout intensity or length, and NOTHING after dinner.
Week 3- More veggies, less meat.
Week 5- Big breakfasts, small dinners.

I've got to get in on this. Topped 184 last night and power numbers are too low on the bike to support that weight and still go fast uphill, so time to drop the lbs.

I'm thinking these 3 changes, layering one on every other week:
Week 1- Kick start with intermittent fasting. No eating before noon unless I need to fuel a specific workout intensity or length, and NOTHING after dinner.
Week 3- More veggies, less meat.
Week 5- Big breakfasts, small dinners.

Do your family, friends and coworkers a favor and eat a nutritious breakfast so they don't have to put up with hangry you. Not eating before noon is not a good plan unless you get up after 11.

I've been working out pretty hard consistently for about a month and also tracking everything I eat... Zero change to weight, even though I'm clearly stronger and leaner already. Wondering when the weight will start to come off. From past experience, it is kind of a stair-step... Nothing for a while and then a drop. But usually the first week or so you tend to see an inital drop... Not this time.

I've been working out pretty hard consistently for about a month and also tracking everything I eat... Zero change to weight, even though I'm clearly stronger and leaner already. Wondering when the weight will start to come off. From past experience, it is kind of a stair-step... Nothing for a while and then a drop. But usually the first week or so you tend to see an inital drop... Not this time.

If you're killing it lifting and eating the right amount of protein, you may even gain weight. I'm around 195 now, but when I was in the best shape of my life I was 205, and looked a lot more cut at that weight.

I just took a break from work and ran 3 miles around the neighborhood.

It's always a nice reminder of how much I hate running. Was nice to be outside, though.

8:30 pace tells me I have some serious work to do over the next few months.

God damn, I hate running.

I'm seriously considering getting back on the fitness wagon. In the past, when I commit, I go hard for around 2 years. Then take a break until I can't deal with myself anymore.

If you're killing it lifting and eating the right amount of protein, you may even gain weight. I'm around 195 now, but when I was in the best shape of my life I was 205, and looked a lot more cut at that weight.

Yeah, but my eating habits are usually terrible. Plenty of protein, but also plenty of nachos, pizza, and bread. Have cleaned it up since the holidays, which definitely means less calories. But yeah, I guess the actual weight doesn't really matter. I just like tangible data/results.

Back