• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

Were you like blasting some metal music in the garage? Must've been loud workouts ha

We bought a power rack and she can hear the metal clanking. Doesn’t help there is zero insulation in between the two floors.

Before the pandemic I had a string of 3 weeks of getting up at 530 to workout before work.

Pandemic threw that off. Now I just workout whenever I need a break in the day.

I got up at 6 a few mornings to do it but our bedroom is above our garage and I woke up my wife.

Pre-pandemic I was getting up at 5am about 4x per week. Now, I get up at 6am to do it. Often, my getting up will wake up the wife because my joints sound like someone's twisting a sheet of bubble wrap when I get out of bed. But, I figure that's the price she has to be willing to pay for me keeping it tight.

So from a diet standpoint, if I'm trying to shed ~30 lbs, yea or nay on hardcore keto? Should I cut out all the carbs or am I ok mixing in clean stuff like unsweetened Greek yogurt, oatmeal with berries, etc?

So from a diet standpoint, if I'm trying to shed ~30 lbs, yea or nay on hardcore keto? Should I cut out all the carbs or am I ok mixing in clean stuff like unsweetened Greek yogurt, oatmeal with berries, etc?

do what works for you - but I would guess you are younger than me and I lost 40 lbs in 2019, no keto but pretty strict on processed foods

I ate fruit (berries and an apple for a snack) and oatmeal every day, along with veggies and lean protein, no pasta/bread/potatos, no processed sugar, a bit of rice

also worked out every single day, at least a 4-5 mile brisk walk, no exceptions

Today's workout for time

101 squats at 135
101 lunges at 135
101 box jumps
101 burpees

I may die.

I bet those box jumps were real pretty after the squats and lunges. Are your shins bleeding?

That is a brutal workout... Would legit take me ~45-55 minutes, I think. If I could even do it.

I bet those box jumps were real pretty after the squats and lunges. Are your shins bleeding?

That is a brutal workout... Would legit take me ~45-55 minutes, I think. If I could even do it.

I hit knees on the first two box jumps because I didn't realize how little I had in my legs. I adjusted after but it was an absolute slog. The last 40 were step ups instead of jumps because I just couldn't get up there anymore.

I've been thinking about this for the last few minutes... How did you work through all of that?

I think I'd knock out the squats in sets of 15-20 (at least at first). Were the lunges per leg? Or is that 101 alternating? I don't think I'd be able to do that kind of weight after squats for 101 reps with each leg (202 total). Box jumps I'd probably just do slow and steady. The burpees at the end would have probably been sets of 10 with enough rest in between to make sure I didn't get gassed.

No matter what, I'd have been happy to finish all of that in under an hour (if at all).

I've been thinking about this for the last few minutes... How did you work through all of that?

I think I'd knock out the squats in sets of 15-20 (at least at first). Were the lunges per leg? Or is that 101 alternating? I don't think I'd be able to do that kind of weight after squats for 101 reps with each leg (202 total). Box jumps I'd probably just do slow and steady. The burpees at the end would have probably been sets of 10 with enough rest in between to make sure I didn't get gassed.

No matter what, I'd have been happy to finish all of that in under an hour (if at all).

Alternating on the lunges. Each would have been undoable for me. I made a mistake and busted out the squats in 4 straight sets of 26 and then 25's which ruined me for the lunges. If I'd just done sets of 10 it would've gone a lot smoother. The box jumps were continuous but just at a slow pace. The burpees I did sets of 10 as well. I was ok with 38:24 but if I'd paced the squats I think I could've done better.

I'm gonna try your wife's bday chipper workout tomorrow if I can stand up when I get out of bed.

I threw in Hindu squats (unweighted) into the workout I led this morning. That's a completely different feeling for a similar movement.

I jumped back into low carb eating on Sunday. I normally work out 3 to 5 days a week but I've been eating crap and overeating the last year or so and I've put a lot of weight back on. GRRRR. I don't consider myself a runner by any means but was on a relay team that ran the Bourbon Chase in 2018 and the Tuna in 2019. I've all but stopped "running" and now it's like I've never done it before. Crazy how quick you can lose stamina.

I used to count my macros, but right now I'm just focusing on portion control and eating a little cleaner. It was tough putting the Reese's hearts my daughter's got me for V-day in the freezer for a much later date but I did it. Gotta focus on those small wins!

I'll start with the "do what works" refrain but no matter what the name of the diet is, your CICO (calories in calories out) equation is what's going to determine weight.

For 30 pounds, I'd strongly advocate figuring out your BMR and consuming 500 calories fewer than that. In 30 weeks you'll have lost your 30 pounds, you'll have a good understanding of portions and what your day-to-day should look like after you've lost the weight.

Oh and you won't be spending yours days thinking of how desperately you want that slice of pizza (or whatever your favorite carb is) which makes it easier to make a habit of.

Last edited:
for box jumps, are boxes standard sizes?

[box size joke preempted]

Most boxes you buy come 20"x24"x30"

I'd say most of what I do is 24". If my wife and I are working out together, I do the 20" (it is a pain to move the box mid-workout). I rarely do anything where 30" is necessary.

When I say can't find the time, it's legit. My wife works from home while watching the baby, so when I get off work I pretty much have kid duty until dinnertime to give her a break.

Is working out AFTER dinner a thing? I couldn't imagine, because that's when I thought booze was supposed to be consumed.

I don't have a great answer for this, but I can relate. My wife and I both work fairly demanding jobs, have 2 toddlers. I basically either sat around working or sat around watching/dealing with babies for 3 years, put on 30 pounds. I have no idea where I could have found time to work out. There's no real difference at that point between waking up early to work out or staying up late - either way you're simply trading away sleep. I had to work nights to make up for kid time during the day, so I couldn't trade work hours. There literally just wasn't time short of neglecting children or sleep deprivation. Even when I did carve out a morning or two by getting to bed early, kids would wake up at 5am or throw up or some other plan-wrecking thing would happen.

Around the start of the pandemic, our youngest suddenly started sleeping until 7am. That was it. Suddenly everything fit - I can wake up at 6am instead of 5am. Which means I can watch a tv show and close out work stuff by 11pm and that's enough sleep for me. I've since returned back to my normal weight, worked out 52 of the last 60 days.

If I had it to do over again I think I would have aimed a lot lower. My pre-kid life was like P90X, 3 or 4 sports teams in the DC area all the time, etc. I should have worked out a schedule with the wife of like, 3 thirty minute windows a week or something. I just didn't appreciate how hard even that would be, I couldn't do anything like I used to so I kinda didn't do anything at all. Or when I did get a rare break or cover from the wife I used it for something I enjoyed.

Anyway, probably not all that helpful but that was my experience.

Yeah, I don't work out at 4 a.m. because I enjoy it, but it's literally the only time that I can really fit it into my schedule without neglecting my kids or being murdered by my wife. Basketball ends next week, so it will make life a little easier, but the side benefits of getting up that early is it curtails my nightly drinking calories and if I'm drinking on the weekend, I do it during the day which is a lot more enjoyable for me anyway.

I used to work out at around 8 to 830 every night, but I've felt a whole lot better generally since I've switched to the morning routine.

It’s so freaking cold in my garage right now. Not looking forward to working out in there later today.

Yeah, I don't work out at 4 a.m. because I enjoy it, but it's literally the only time that I can really fit it into my schedule without neglecting my kids or being murdered by my wife. Basketball ends next week, so it will make life a little easier, but the side benefits of getting up that early is it curtails my nightly drinking calories and if I'm drinking on the weekend, I do it during the day which is a lot more enjoyable for me anyway.

I used to work out at around 8 to 830 every night, but I've felt a whole lot better generally since I've switched to the morning routine.

You're playing a basketball league right now? How?

What time do you get to sleep if you're working out at 4am out of curiosity?

You're playing a basketball league right now? How?

What time do you get to sleep if you're working out at 4am out of curiosity?

No, coaching basketball. On non game nights I’m usually in bed by 830 and asleep by 9. Game nights are later but I can sometimes get a workout in after school and before the game.

Back