• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2022: Viel Glück für alle!

I’ve been really digging into the Loudon Wainwright III catalog lately. Definitely some complicated relationships in his life; he isn’t the best role model human by any stretch. But his first three albums are really superb and there’s some outstanding stuff in his later career as well.

Clapton’s solo stuff is incredibly boring. His best work was when he was in bands early in his career. And even when he plays that stuff live now it’s incredibly boring.

But I am here disputing it. I don't think he was especially creative, or fast, or skilled at playing the guitar. Jimi Hendrix wildly expanded the boundaries of playing a guitar, Jimmy Page basically created an entire new genera of rock music, Duane Allman is the definition of slide guitar in rock and roll, Vahalen redefined guitar soloing for about 15 years...Clapton used a lot of wahwah and he wrote a few good hooks. I just don't see godlyness or greatness.

Well, if I'm going to ask who the best doctor is. I'll ask people in the healthcare industry. If I want to know who is the best ornithologist, I'll ask people in the field. For the past half a century (basically the entire history of the art), the players and the experts have agreed that Clapton is a guitar god.

If we’re judging simply on guitar skill alone, who do you choose, Clapton or Prince?

If we’re judging simply on guitar skill alone, who do you choose, Clapton or Prince?

That's an incredibly interesting one. Prince has been growing on me over the past few years. I think he has been underrated due to his showmanship, songwriting and persona. I think I'd put him in the group just below Hendrix, Clapton. Page, Allman and Jeff Beck.

I liken Prince to Pete Townshend. Each were such brilliant and innovative composers that their playing sometimes was taken for granted. They could each make more out of less than almost anyone ever. They also took music and musicianship to other levels. Each expanded the art to places people weren't expecting.

A perfect example of this was his performance at the Grammy's of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. All those great players completely deferred to Prince.

I think there are more modern people to discuss in the next group of five than in the Top 5, but I think I'd put Prince, Townshend, Van Halen, Brian May and Slash in that group. I think Gary Clark, Jr. may join at Top 10-15 soon.

Well, if I'm going to ask who the best doctor is. I'll ask people in the healthcare industry. If I want to know who is the best ornithologist, I'll ask people in the field. For the past half a century (basically the entire history of the art), the players and the experts have agreed that Clapton is a guitar god.

It’s an interesting argumentation style to just keep repeating the conclusion but why is Clapton great, other than people think he is great. Like, what specifically did he do that puts him behind Hendrix alone as the second greatest guitarist ever?

Shin splints suuuuck. Had them in August into September but finally healed. They’re back now tho. 0/10 do not recommend.

All I'm trying to say is that we can go ahead and cancel Clapton, it's okay.

That's an incredibly interesting one. Prince has been growing on me over the past few years. I think he has been underrated due to his showmanship, songwriting and persona. I think I'd put him in the group just below Hendrix, Clapton. Page, Allman and Jeff Beck.

I liken Prince to Pete Townshend. Each were such brilliant and innovative composers that their playing sometimes was taken for granted. They could each make more out of less than almost anyone ever. They also took music and musicianship to other levels. Each expanded the art to places people weren't expecting.

A perfect example of this was his performance at the Grammy's of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. All those great players completely deferred to Prince.

I think there are more modern people to discuss in the next group of five than in the Top 5, but I think I'd put Prince, Townshend, Van Halen, Brian May and Slash in that group. I think Gary Clark, Jr. may join at Top 10-15 soon.

Slash? Slash isn’t even real

Shoutout to underappreciated guitar legend Mark Knopfler.

It’s an interesting argumentation style to just keep repeating the conclusion but why is Clapton great, other than people think he is great. Like, what specifically did he do that puts him behind Hendrix alone as the second greatest guitarist ever?

He helped create the modern rock guitarist. If people whose livelihood is to do a certain skill say MR./Ms. X is the best at it, one should pay attention. It's not like it's a fraction in a specific time, over basically the entire history of this talent, all of the experts have agreed from his own contemporaries to multiple generations after.

Shoutout to underappreciated guitar legend Mark Knopfler.

Absolutely can be in the Top 20 or so. When you think about all the groups and solo acts over the past 60+ years, to be in the Top 20 is remarkable.

Fripp
Marr
John Squire
Nels Cline
Buck Dharma
Van Halen
Duane

those were my idols when I first started to play

I always thought the hendrix/clapton/may takes & polls were really uninspired. I don't think those players are bad, just overrated

i really like that thing isaac brock does where he mutes the fifth on a power chord to play just the root and the octave and slices that up and down the fret board

had a lot of fun when i learned that neat little trick man

i really like that thing isaac brock does where he mutes the fifth on a power chord to play just the root and the octave and slices that up and down the fret board

had a lot of fun when i learned that neat little trick man

I love isaac’s playing.

Ira Kaplan is a beast on the guitar too. Probably neither would make RJs list though.

We’ll have to agree to disagree RJ. I just don’t see how Clapton helped create the modern rock guitarist, any more than guys like Neil Young or Santana or any other guitarist from the 60s and 70s. Also Prince could play circles around Clapton, that’s indisputable.

Back