• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2021 | Cusick (1st) + Fleming, Seymour, Menendez, Muntz Drafted

We have 2 stolen bases all year. It seems to me that most really good baseball programs could put a lot of pressure on defenses with some speed in the basepaths. We have none and play station the station baseball.

we are 2nd in the nation in Strikeouts per 9 and our opponents battng average isn't terrible, put we are really poor at fundamentals (combos of walks/Hbp/wp/pb/errors/sbs) and they all seem to congregate around each other.

and if we aren't hitting the ball well, we are easy to defend because our lack of speed means no stolen bases and limited 1st to 3rd and 2nd to home.

Because they recruit nothing but big kids who are terrible athletes. Even looking at wakes best players over the years, they crap out in the pros because they are one trick ponies with terrible defensive skills and overrated hitting from feasting at wakes little league field . Fairchild might be lone exception.

We have 2 stolen bases all year. It seems to me that most really good baseball programs could put a lot of pressure on defenses with some speed in the basepaths. We have none and play station the station baseball.

we are 2nd in the nation in Strikeouts per 9 and our opponents battng average isn't terrible, put we are really poor at fundamentals (combos of walks/Hbp/wp/pb/errors/sbs) and they all seem to congregate around each other.

and if we aren't hitting the ball well, we are easy to defend because our lack of speed means no stolen bases and limited 1st to 3rd and 2nd to home.

Good analysis

You can’t travel 20 players and expect to compete with a national powerhouse.

I give everything a pass due to Covid this year.

Strongly disagree.

1. Everyone is playing with Covid present.

2. There was no breakout in the first home games where all the same issues were present as they are in Miami.

3. We didnt look as nearly prepared to start the season as all of our opponents have looked.

We haven't been the same since Hobbs left for Arkansas and now Arkansas is ranked #1 for the first time in school history. He is being credited with that ranking out in Fayetteville.

Walter is going to have a real tough decision to make shortly. This season is already finished. Does he give playing time and valuable at bats to younger guys or stay loyal to the older guys who are really just playing for draft status at this point. What happened to Ludowig? He seems to have gotten progressively worse over his career. Remind me to never buy into the hype of Wake Forest baseball again.

Seasons over? ND leads the division, lose 5 games to Covid and oh by the way,
• With the entry of Boston College, North Carolina, Pitt and Virginia Tech into several national polls this week, each of the 14 Atlantic Coast Conference baseball teams has already been ranked nationally in preseason and/or during the opening two weeks of the 2021 season. Nine ACC teams appear this week in at least one of the six major polls, led by Louisville’s No. 1 ranking by Perfect Game. Georgia Tech, Miami and Virginia are also ranked among the nation’s top 10 by at least one publication.
Yeah, let's just expect us to just win every series. The U is #5 for a reason. I guess State should close up shop after we do being just 4-6.
Hot takes and unreasonable expectations are worse here than BKB or FB.

Strongly disagree.

2. There was no breakout in the first home games where all the same issues were present as they are in Miami.

3. We didnt look as nearly prepared to start the season as all of our opponents have looked.

We only have 20 players available this weekend. And didn’t have all of our best athletes to start the season.

We got one non-ACC series before jumping into the meat of the schedule.

Wake has had massive outbreaks at the whole university.

Seasons over? ND leads the division, lose 5 games to Covid and oh by the way,
• With the entry of Boston College, North Carolina, Pitt and Virginia Tech into several national polls this week, each of the 14 Atlantic Coast Conference baseball teams has already been ranked nationally in preseason and/or during the opening two weeks of the 2021 season. Nine ACC teams appear this week in at least one of the six major polls, led by Louisville’s No. 1 ranking by Perfect Game. Georgia Tech, Miami and Virginia are also ranked among the nation’s top 10 by at least one publication.
Yeah, let's just expect us to just win every series. The U is #5 for a reason. I guess State should close up shop after we do being just 4-6.
Hot takes and unreasonable expectations are worse here than BKB or FB.

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think I am. Covid saved Walter and Wake from a similarly embarrassing season last year. Give me something that will change my mind.

When you spend millions on a pitching lab, a new luxury clubhouse and turf field, hear about the highly rated recruiting class, and how every year could be the year we go to Omaha, then I don't believe it's unreasonable expectations to expect a little more than this.

New coach is the answer! Young blood who can turn wake into a vandy/UVA/Stanford type destination. And move the fences back into a real field. Who would wanna pitch here when they can go to one of those places above.

New coach is the answer! Young blood who can turn wake into a vandy/UVA/Stanford type destination. And move the fences back into a real field. Who would wanna pitch here when they can go to one of those places above.

I just pulled the dimensions for the park and, well...damn. 310 to left and 300 to right is crazy. For comparison, Vandy is 310 to left, but has a 35 foot wall there; it's 330 to right. Stanford is 335 down both lines. Pepperdine (by far the best college baseball stadium I've been to) is 330 down both lines. There's a ton of room to move our fences back 20-30 feet and get it in line with many of the other major programs out there. In a very competitive league like the ACC and the fact that there's still metal bats, 300-310 is a bandbox.

Baseball is unusual in sports, allowing different dimensions for the field of play. Are there even minimum/maximum allowed outfield dimensions?

Baseball is unusual in sports, allowing different dimensions for the field of play. Are there even minimum/maximum allowed outfield dimensions?

In the pros, yes - 325 down the lines, 400 to Center for stadiums built after 1958 (so Fenway is exempt; Wrigley surpasses these); New Yankee Stadium was allowed an exemption since they (supposedly) kept the same exact outline of the outfield as the Old Yankee Stadium.

The NCAA recommends (but doesn't require) 325 down the lines, 375 to the alleys and 400 to Center.

FWIW, here are the dimensions of the ACC's schools - only Pitt has shorter distances than Wake, and only CF at Wake meets the NCAA's recommendation.

LF LC CF RC RF
Wake 310 370 400 367 300
UNC 335 370 400 355 340
Duke 325 370 400 375 335
NC State 320 400 330
UVA 332 370 404 372 332
VaTech 330 400 330
BC 330 400 320
ND 330 380 400 380 330
GT 328 391 400 353 334
FSU 340 400 320
Miami 330 365 400 365 330
Clemson 320 370 400 375 330
Pitt 300 375 405 375 300
Louisville 330 375 402 377 330

In the pros, yes - 325 down the lines, 400 to Center for stadiums built after 1958 (so Fenway is exempt; Wrigley surpasses these); New Yankee Stadium was allowed an exemption since they (supposedly) kept the same exact outline of the outfield as the Old Yankee Stadium.

The NCAA recommends (but doesn't require) 325 down the lines, 375 to the alleys and 400 to Center.

FWIW, here are the dimensions of the ACC's schools - only Pitt has shorter distances than Wake, and only CF at Wake meets the NCAA's recommendation.

LF LC CF RC RF
Wake 310 370 400 367 300
UNC 335 370 400 355 340
Duke 325 370 400 375 335
NC State 320 400 330
UVA 332 370 404 372 332
VaTech 330 400 330
BC 330 400 320
ND 330 380 400 380 330
GT 328 391 400 353 334
FSU 340 400 320
Miami 330 365 400 365 330
Clemson 320 370 400 375 330
Pitt 300 375 405 375 300
Louisville 330 375 402 377 330

Pitt has big wall in left field too, who would want to pitch at such a small park? Also pretty gutless move of Walters to cancel Sunday’s game. Either cancel the series or play them all with what you got. I’m sure Miami didn’t know going into the series they were only playing two games. Not that it mattered since they won both but kind of cheap move. Bring students to pitch or pitch a position player but don’t use the rules to get out of a likely sweep. Fire that guy

Pitt has big wall in left field too, who would want to pitch at such a small park? Also pretty gutless move of Walters to cancel Sunday’s game. Either cancel the series or play them all with what you got. I’m sure Miami didn’t know going into the series they were only playing two games. Not that it mattered since they won both but kind of cheap move. Bring students to pitch or pitch a position player but don’t use the rules to get out of a likely sweep. Fire that guy

The fact that we moved the lines from 325 to 310/300 without having a high wall in place is maddening.

And sure, we have a tremendous pitching lab, but that's not going to help much when what would be a fly ball in pretty much any other park is clearing the fence.

It was discussed before the series started that there was a possibility because of the number of pitchers they were able to travel that the game on Sunday might not go forward.

Connor’s preview of the series clearly stated that while 3 games were possible it was much more likely that only 2 would be played.

Oops, both schools knew it was a possibility. Or would you rather multiple guys 3 straight days. You know risk injury to make you happy. We get you hate Walter but try to know what you blow up about.

This is among the dumbest things I've ever read on here. Congrats on that one.

Also love -- *LOVE* -- the idea that you think "Walters" just sprung it on Miami after Saturday night's game of, "hey we're going to get on out of town a day early and not play tomorrow cool, cool, see ya!" Conversations with Miami and the ACC started last weekend.

Strongly disagree.

Exactly.

Back