• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2021 | Cusick (1st) + Fleming, Seymour, Menendez, Muntz Drafted

Freshman Costello is at .299 and Wilken is a shade above .300. After that Lanzilli at .258 is our highest average. That is pretty pathetic in college baseball. Does Cliento, or anyone, have any idea what our guys are doing? Is it approach? Not working the count? Taking too many strikes? Or are they just average to below average ballplayers?

Seymour was ACC POY and 1st team/2nd team AA in 2019; Lanzilli was 1st-team all-ACC and 2nd team all-AA in 2019

they were good players then; they are not particularly good this year

wake commits 8 errors and yields 34 runs in a home sweep to VT

now 5-12, still in 13th place in the ACC - next weekend's series at Duke is huge as Duke is a half-game in front of WF at 6-12

So after talking yesterday saving the bullpen for today, Walter lets Lowder get touched up for 8 runs before replacing him and ends up getting Adler, who is one of our most consistent arms in the pen and our closer, 1 inning after he only pitched 1.2 innings in the last two weeks.

That seems head scratching to me.

Seymour was ACC POY and 1st team/2nd team AA in 2019; Lanzilli was 1st-team all-ACC and 2nd team all-AA in 2019

they were good players then; they are not particularly good this year
Yeah, but THESE freshmen will be different...or something. I look forward to being one of 10-15 teams who could win it all 2-3 years from now!

sucks to say but walter probably isn’t it. i like the AD suggestion though obviously have no info about the plausibility

So after talking yesterday saving the bullpen for today, Walter lets Lowder get touched up for 8 runs before replacing him and ends up getting Adler, who is one of our most consistent arms in the pen and our closer, 1 inning after he only pitched 1.2 innings in the last two weeks.

That seems head scratching to me.

Not to beat a dead horse but it's nice to see someone else saying some of the things I've seen from Walter his entire career at Wake.

It's what I referred to in the 1st VT game. Cant remember for sure who it was, maybe Furtado, who came in as first reliever and pitched a no run inning with 1 or 2 hits. After one inning he's yanked and the sub who comes in at the top of the next inning walks 2 (or HBPs 1), a hit or 2, and they score 2 more runs.

It makes me think Walter is subbing to get the data on pitchers for the pitching lab computer, and not what's best for the game at that moment. (This example has occurred all season.)

If the flame-out continues this season, might be time for a new look.

It doesn’t take a genius if you are one of the 25-50 people who follow each game for Wake baseball. Covid saved Walter and the Deacs last season from what was going to be a similarly disappointing year. Seymour had already started to regress, Ks were abundant, baserunning blunders, etc. This season is sadly an extension of last year. Injuries to the pitching staff is a legit complaint but this team probably shouldn’t be 10-15.

Not to beat a dead horse but it's nice to see someone else saying some of the things I've seen from Walter his entire career at Wake.

It's what I referred to in the 1st VT game. Cant remember for sure who it was, maybe Furtado, who came in as first reliever and pitched a no run inning with 1 or 2 hits. After one inning he's yanked and the sub who comes in at the top of the next inning walks 2 (or HBPs 1), a hit or 2, and they score 2 more runs.

It makes me think Walter is subbing to get the data on pitchers for the pitching lab computer, and not what's best for the game at that moment. (This example has occurred all season.)
He manages the bullpen like it's a major league bullpen, and in college multiple bullpen changes is a recipe for disater because of the high variability of performance among college pitchers. Virginia Tech and us both had 11 and 2/3 innings of relief and they did it with 7 relief appearances while we had 11. The majority of their relief appearances were 2 or more innings.

He manages the bullpen like it's a major league bullpen, and in college multiple bullpen changes is a recipe for disater because of the high variability of performance among college pitchers. Virginia Tech and us both had 11 and 2/3 innings of relief and they did it with 7 relief appearances while we had 11. The majority of their relief appearances were 2 or more innings.

i played for walter and its a miserable experience, next stop was a fresh air to how baseball is supposed to be

Wake Baseball 2021 (10-12) | oh no we suck again!

i played for walter and its a miserable experience, next stop was a fresh air to how baseball is supposed to be

This explains a lot.

Seems like it might be time to move on from Walter.

Last edited:
Walter’s contract runs through 2024. That information may be useful.

Walter’s contract runs through 2024. That information may be useful.

you think wellman gave him an extension going out right before retirement in order to give his buddy something he didn't deserve ? Also watched game today and saw #10 pitch with all his bullshit antics, what an embarrassment. isn't even that good either. if he's lucky to sign for 1000 bucks and play pro ball, he's definitely going to be in for a rude awakening lol.

Back