• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2021 | Cusick (1st) + Fleming, Seymour, Menendez, Muntz Drafted

WFU cancelled the BC series and next week's Elon game.

BC Baseball is ranked this week after sweeping Charleston Southern and taking 2 of 3 from Duke.

They've already replaced our series with a trip to Auburn

Can we just cancel Wake sports until Fall, at least all except golf and tennis?

Covid saved Walter from an embarrassing season last year. Same thing may happen this year. I can see it playing out as, “ couldn’t get on track after the Covid delay, some key injuries, and guys pressing and trying to do too much.”

Covid saved Walter from an embarrassing season last year. Same thing may happen this year. I can see it playing out as, “ couldn’t get on track after the Covid delay, some key injuries, and guys pressing and trying to do too much.”

Walter would be better suited “transitioning” to an athletic department role where his only job is to raise money which apparently he’s good at. Doesn’t know how to manage a game and convey a positive vibe to his team. Hire a young energetic coach with big league experience like Matt Antonelli and watch the program flourish.

Walter would be better suited “transitioning” to an athletic department role where his only job is to raise money which apparently he’s good at. Doesn’t know how to manage a game and convey a positive vibe to his team. Hire a young energetic coach with big league experience like Matt Antonelli and watch the program flourish.
👍

Wake is still very much thought of as a significant destination for HS baseball Players. ACC baseball is flat out a draw...no matter how poor a team. My kid is the catcher for a top 25 nationally ranked HS program (for whatever that's worth) and when kids talk about Wake they speak of Wake baseball with a shocking amount of reverence. One of his former travel ball teammates just committed to Wake.

I have no idea how our on field performance can never match the quality of the kids we get.

100% agree with WCD.

I have a HS kid that plays the travel baseball circuit, and the quality of prospects that WF gets is unreal, particularly compared to the on-the-field results. At the biggest tournaments, WF commitments are always among the highest touted and strongest performers; on par with Florida, UVA, LSU (name the school). For whatever reason, the caliber of WF baseball recruiting has only been getting stronger over the last 4 years. This 2021 WF team is loaded. WF Friday starter will be a first round pick; every draft eligible starting position player will be drafted, and the current freshman class is stacked. Barring mass injuries, like the one that ended Antonio Menendez's season, WF is going to have a ton players drafted/signed by MLB in July. Realize that it's early, but the difference between the WF talent level and on-the-field results is stunning, so far.

Last edited:
BC series would likely have been a disaster. Could see it coming after their play at Duke.

They had an amazing headed to CWS-type run at Auburn this weekend.

AUBURN, Ala. – No. 18 Boston College baseball erased an eight-run deficit in the ninth, all with two outs, and completed the comeback with an 11-9, 10-inning win at No. 25 Auburn to claim the series at Plainsman Park. The Eagles improved to 8-2 on the season, while the Tigers fell to 7-4

100% agree with WCD.

I have a HS kid that plays the travel baseball circuit, and the quality of prospects that WF gets is unreal, particularly compared to the on-the-field results. At the biggest tournaments, WF commitments are always among the highest touted and strongest performers; on par with Florida, UVA, LSU (name the school). For whatever reason, the caliber of WF baseball recruiting has only been getting stronger over the last 4 years. This 2021 WF team is loaded. WF Friday starter will be a first round pick; every draft eligible starting position player will be drafted, and the current freshman class is stacked. Barring mass injuries, like the one that ended Antonio Menendez's season, WF is going to have a ton players drafted/signed by MLB in July. Realize that it's early, but the difference between the WF talent level and on-the-field results is stunning, so far.

What this tells most of us looking at the team from a non-close-up look is that we are past due for a coaching change then. Except for the anomaly that was the super regional year at Florida we have vastly underachieved and do not seem to be getting any better, especially given our facilities and money being spent.

Hate to beat a dead horse but wake's juco rules kill us. Look at just about every other program. They all fill out their rosters with juco guys.

Seems I remember some of our better teams of old included jr. college and football players. It would be nice if that was possible again, but I doubt it is. We could recruit players and offer them the opportunity to play both football and baseball. It always resulted in a handful of guys who would try out for baseball. Participants who made the roster got to attend on a fb scholly.

Hate to beat a dead horse but wake's juco rules kill us. Look at just about every other program. They all fill out their rosters with juco guys.

The academic side of Wake accepts very few credits from Junior Colleges. Hence, JuCo grads who transfer to Wake have to nearly start over. Thus, they don't have enough Wake recognized credits to be academic juniors at Wake. Therefore they go elsewhere. I don't know when Wake developed this anti-JuCo mentality. After I was there, for sure. I knew quite a few JuCo transfers. Two became MD's.

so i guess we're playing again? honestly i'm expecting a sweep. not in our favor.

According to the Miami game notes, William Fleming is the starting pitcher tonight for WF. That apparently means that WF top 3 starting pitchers (Ryan Cusick, Shan Smith and Antonio Menendez -- Menendez is done for the season) are all out. Fleming did pitch very well against Northeastern (6 shoutout innings), but not as well last time out against ND (4 runs in 6 innings). Guessing freshman Brett Lowder starts tomorrow, and Johnny Wholestaff on Sunday. This could be a rough series for a Deacs. Going to need the bats score lots of runs.

Miami game notes: https://storage.googleapis.com/hurricanesports-com/2021/03/30f251c8-wake-mar.-12-14.pdf

so i guess we're playing again? honestly i'm expecting a sweep. not in our favor.

Same. My expectations for WFU baseball are so low. I'm not even sure if it's warranted. I keep reading about how this is the year our roster will come together, etc., etc.

I just know that for some reason I never assimilate that optimism, don't expect anything good to happen, and have no noticeable reaction when it doesn't.

Back