• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2021 | Cusick (1st) + Fleming, Seymour, Menendez, Muntz Drafted

Lanzilli didn't get drafted and hasn't signed, should we expect him to return for his senior season?

Elie Kligman coming to WF instead of signing with the Nats. He is a practicing Orthodox Jew so doesn’t play from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. Will be interesting to see how that plays out over his WF tenure which I expect will be quite good!

Elie Kligman coming to WF instead of signing with the Nats. He is a practicing Orthodox Jew so doesn’t play from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. Will be interesting to see how that plays out over his WF tenure which I expect will be quite good!

Sounds like a great pickup late in the cycle. It will be interesting to see where he plays. Most likely catcher, but he also pitches and plays shortstop. It will be fun to see him catch and then hit left handed.

If he is a good pitcher, that would make the most sense if he wouldn’t play on Friday and Saturdays.

Lanzilli didn't get drafted and hasn't signed, should we expect him to return for his senior season?

He is also playing in the Cape. My guess is he is trying to play well enough to get a contract. If that doesn't work out, I could see him coming back.

If he is a good pitcher, that would make the most sense if he wouldn’t play on Friday and Saturdays.

At Wake that would make sense. Weekday or Sunday pitcher. He wants to transition to catcher. The extra rest given catchers could more easily be scheduled for Friday and Saturday. MLB wants starting pitchers to go every five days. Harder to schedule around Shabbat. As a relief pitcher, it would be even more difficult to schedule his work and rest days.

Deacs lose RHP Peter Huebeck to the Dodgers (he was a 3rd round pick of the Dodgers, and will sign an above slot deal of $1.2 million): https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bs-sp-va-gilman-baseball-peter-heubeck-signing-la-dodgers-20210723-ry2rlrcnebdotda7svmhjb2g3a-story.html FWIW, Heubeck played for former Orioles player, Larry Sheets at Gilman in Baltimore. Sheets' son, Gavin, played at WF and is now on the White Sox.

The remaining issue for WF baseball is Danny Corona. Prior to the draft, Corona announced his intention to forego the MLB draft and play for WF. The Pirates drafted him late (16th round), and have the most bonus pool money of any MLB team for this draft. The Pirates have a couple of other unsigned HS kids, including Lonnie White (who has committed to play football and baseball at Penn State); so, whether the Pirates have the money to lure Corona will depend on whether they can sign their other unsigned HS players. The deadline for draft picks to sign is August 1. If Corona does go to WF, it's expected he would be the Deacs' starting SS for the upcoming season.

Checking on the Pirates signings, it appears they have only about $30k left to go above slot. I highly doubt ~$155k is enough to sign Corona.

Checking on the Pirates signings, it appears they have only about $30k left to go above slot. I highly doubt ~$155k is enough to sign Corona.

Corona? Didn't he post last week that he's all in on WFU???

Corona? Didn't he post last week that he's all in on WFU???

He did before the MLB draft, and the Pirates drafted him anyway. MLB teams will often use a late pick on an elite player with a strong college commitment and then try to persuade the player to sign if they have bonus money left over. The point is that the Pirates used almost all of the bonus pool; so, it seems unlikely that Corona would sign.

Corona not virus, not beer
as shortstop at Wake next year.

Sounds good.

I like Kligman to Wake. If he can pitch, Sunday, midweek or Friday afternoon is available. The same would be true as a position player. A person who actually lives his faith is always a benefit.

Harwich bounced from the playoffs by Brewster last night.

Adler wasn’t used last night as the Braves won 10-4. They play again tonight to face Brewster on Monday.

Harwich bounced from the playoffs by Brewster last night.

Adler wasn’t used last night as the Braves won 10-4. They play again tonight to face Brewster on Monday.

To add: Wilken was named MVP. From Wake's release: Wilken posted a batting average of .302 with 39 hits, 10 doubles, six home runs, 26 RBIs and 26 runs scored. The Valrico, Fla. native led the league in doubles and walks, while he also finished in the top ten in batting average (tied for eighth), hits (second), home runs (tied for fourth) and RBIs (fourth).

Adler was named the league's top relief pitcher.

There's a Charlie Brown lesson here and I'm sure our favorite troll of this thread will come tell us why Wilken is overrated ... but Wake seems to have the top-end talent to be in the upper echelon of the ACC next year.

Costello got the start tonight for Bourne (only joined the club for the last 8 games). He’s played pretty decent defense, but is hitting .056 on the season.

Last edited:
To add: Wilken was named MVP. From Wake's release: Wilken posted a batting average of .302 with 39 hits, 10 doubles, six home runs, 26 RBIs and 26 runs scored. The Valrico, Fla. native led the league in doubles and walks, while he also finished in the top ten in batting average (tied for eighth), hits (second), home runs (tied for fourth) and RBIs (fourth).

Adler was named the league's top relief pitcher.

There's a Charlie Brown lesson here and I'm sure our favorite troll of this thread will come tell us why Wilken is overrated ... but Wake seems to have the top-end talent to be in the upper echelon of the ACC next year.
I don’t think even Deacs86 questioned the talent on this years’ team. I have serious doubts that Walter can coach next year’s team up to compete in the ACC. I hope I’m wrong but given his track record I don’t think I am. Regardless, I’ll be watching.

Adler closed out the game last night with an 11 pitch outing. He was hitting 96-98 on the gun.

There’s talk about Wake using him as a starter, which I think is a mistake.

Best 2 of 3 v. Brewster today-Wednesday for the cape League championship.

Back