Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammering Hank has passed away at 86

Legend. He retired before I was born. After reading his bio I wished I had been alive to see him play. One of the best to ever swing a bat and by all accounts a hall of fame person.

i was fortunate to see Hank hit #600 and #713 with a chance to hit 714. This man is a legend and a true American hero. My personalized autograph has even greater meaning to me now, It is a very sad day for me.

Broderick Hicks
    The true HR king. RIP to a great man both on and off the field.

The term “great” is used often and I saw many great Major Leaguers in my 62 years watching baseball.
    But “Hammering Hank” was an all timer. On the Mt. Rushmore of MLBers along with Mays & Mantle.
    I asked my buddy (a longtime Brave fan) his favorite memory of Hank.
    “I was at Connie Mack Stadium and and Bo Belinsky knocks him down with a pitch at his head.
    Next pitch left the stadium”
    RIP Hank; the true Home Run King.

good trivia question: What brothers have the most combined career homeruns in MLB. The Aaron Brothers with 768. Hank hit 755 and Tommie hit 13.

Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    With MLB's saying that Negro League stats can count, I wonder if they can find 8 more HRs for Aaron when he played for the Indy Clowns.
    The combining of stats will be an interesting exercise for MLB. Which games will they count?

Heard a replay of an old interview with Aaron that included a discussion of his Negro League days. He said they sometimes played three games a day. One example was a doubleheader in Washington, DC in the afternoon followed by a night game in Baltimore.

I would think that Aaron hit eight or more homeruns in games that "count" to put him back at the top of the HR list.

I think MLB is only counting Negro League records between 1920 and 1948, which would exclude Aaron's Indianapolis Clowns HRs.