• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hammering Hank has passed away at 86

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
Sad news for one of the all-time greats!

I met him once in the box at a Braves game when I was a kid.

Met him too. Not as big physically as you would expect from the MLB homerun king, but his hands were clownishly huge.

Gave the best interviews. Loved listening to him tell a story that lasted 2 innings. Has to be one of the most high quality humans ever.

Very sad news! The image of him running around those bases while being mobbed will always be imprinted on me. I met him right before he did a graduation commencement speech. Everyone was trying to get to him, and he graciously spent time with all. I told him that I was a Phillies fan and he said that he heard there were good support groups for us. He was so calm that it was hilarious.

I remember watching #715 in Davis dorm as a frsshman

My encounter with Hank Aaron was toward the end of the baseball season in 1973 at the apartment complex, Farrington, west of Atlanta. Our downstairs neighbor was the Braves 3rd base coach, Connie Ryan (he and his wife were very nice to Carole and me including comping us with tickets to the last Braves home game of the season when Hank was on the brink of the home run record). Davy Johnson was also a neighbor. One day I was leaving one of the tennis courts and Hank was either going or coming to the golf course when we bumped into each other. Our conversation was limited to a couple of awkward "Hi's" and we went our separate ways. Truly one of the greatest baseball players of all time and one of the good guys.

Alex Jones reporting he died after receiving the COVID vax. Bill Gates strikes again.

Had a special time as a 9 year old when my Dad took me to the 1966 All-Star game in the then brand new Busch Stadium and the NL starting outfield that day was Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente & Willie Mays. Still have my game program/scorecard here in my office. For the record, Torre of the Braves started at catcher that day, Sandy Koufax started on the mound & McCovey at 1st. The AL had Kaline, Frank Robinson & Tony Oliva in the outfield and Brooks Robinson at third. Denny McLain started on the mound for the AL.

My friends and I were huge baseball fans and we knew all the important numbers - 61, 56, 4191, 2130 and 714. Aaron was the first player to eclipse one of those magic numbers. I was watching the game at my best friend's house (who also went to Wake) when Vin Scully called number 715. I remember people were so "worried" he'd break Babe's record during the three game series the Braves played in Cincinnati to start the season that year before the opening series against the Dodgers in Atlanta.

Aaron played so many big league seasons, it's easy to forget he actually started in the Negro Leagues. One of the greatest to ever put on a uniform and a totally class individual. Baseball has lost a true icon.

Despite playing in era that pitching largely dominated Hank remains 1st all-time in total bases (and its not close, Hank has 723 more than #2) and RBI. Incredible consistency and durability.

Sad news about the death of yet another of the all-time greats. An incredible ball player and gentleman. His was one of the most coveted baseball cards back in the day.

Condolences to his family and friends and baseball fans everywhere. A true giant of the game is gone.

I swear to god, I thought this thread was about Hank Goldberg until I saw the news about Aaron elsewhere.

That should be a strong indication of how much of a degenerate I am.

With MLB's saying that Negro League stats can count, I wonder if they can find 8 more HRs for Aaron when he played for the Indy Clowns.

This one hurts.

My lifelong interest in baseball began watching Hank Aaron and the Milwaukee Braves defeat the New York Yankees in the 1957 World Series. I was eight years old and was ill with the measles, so I was absent from school while the Series was played. The games were played in the afternoon. My mother would iron and watch the game and I discovered baseball as I watched with her. She made it plain that we were rooting for the Braves. When I asked why, her answer was a simple, "Never root for the Yankees". She would laugh watching Lew Burdette fidget between pitches as he won all three of his starts. I preferred the uncommonly high leg kick of Warren Spahn.

Aaron drew my interest because of his color, his stance and his swing. It was the first time I really noticed color, a fact frequently mentioned during the broadcast. That awakening prompted questions from me that my parents answered, then explained. Typing this, I feel such extreme gratitude for their honesty and for shaping my feelings and attitude toward racial differences. So Henry Aaron played a huge part in the life of BlackjackMc and baseball had nothing to do with in. However, that high right elbow stance and the importance of the wrists and hands in swinging a baseball bat were the bedrock of my swing until I quit playing the game at the age of 60.

RIP Henry.

Yes, this one does hurt. He was one of the best players I got to actually see. He went through enormous hell when he came up, much like Jackie Robinson. He turned out to be a great ambassador of the game, not to mention his devotion to social justice.

RIP, Henry, and well done.

Back