• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Forbes Outlook

Never had worse than a 7-9 ACC record after his first year. Lucky to get Rogers and Duncan, but was a pretty damn good coach.
I was at the NIT championship game in 2000, vs. Notre Dame. Odom gave a coaching clinic to Matt Doherty, then the coach of the Irish. The Irish had this big kid named Troy Murphy but Songaila kept him in check until garbage time. O'Kelly shot lights out.

Doesn't strike me as a guy who will have questionable transfers either. If a player transfers from his program, it will be because he can't find a place on the bench, and he'll probably regret having to leave.

I love Coach Forbes, and I am reasonably certain he will achieve great results at Wake. Without a doubt, he will be MUCH better than the dumpster fire of the last ten years.

To me, the program's success under Forbes all gets tied back to Currie having the cojones to fire a coach during a pandemic that was owed a shitload of money. We became the top job available and were able to snag the top coach available. Those moves are leadership.

Also, it's pretty cool that he already has 300 wins as a head coach. Would love to see him get win 600 at Wake.

I would be very pleased if he gets win 400 before his contract was due for renewal.

Doesn't strike me as a guy who will have questionable transfers either. If a player transfers from his program, it will be because he can't find a place on the bench, and he'll probably regret having to leave.

I wonder if Sarr at KY and Brown at the now paused Michigan are feeling just that.... :dumb:

I wonder if Sarr at KY and Brown at the now paused Michigan are feeling just that.... :dumb:

Eh, maybe, but if they are, it's all hindsight. I don't blame them at all for the decisions they made at the time they made them. I'm far more concerned about future players not being placed into situations where they have to make shitty decisions like that.

Say what you want about Dave Odom, but under him the team played defense.

Odom was more lucky than good

Under Dave Odom-
2 ACC Tournament Championships
1 ACC Regular Season Championship
8 NCAA Tourneys
3 Sweet Sixteens
1 Elite Eight
1 NIT Championship
3 NIT appearances
3 ACC Coach of the Year
3 ACC Player of the Year
2 ACC Rookie of the Year

That's not just luck.

I'll take that luck for the next 12 years. As long as we turn one of those elite 8s into a final 4

Eh, maybe, but if they are, it's all hindsight. I don't blame them at all for the decisions they made at the time they made them. I'm far more concerned about future players not being placed into situations where they have to make shitty decisions like that.

This.

The eight years without Tim, GDO won a total of one ACCT game.

Bill Belichick has never won a playoff game without Tom Brady on the roster

That becomes relevant when Belichick has coached twice as many years without Brady as he had with Brady.

Criticism of Odom re: ACCT success or lack thereof becomes relevant when a WF coach wins three ACC tournaments

I love Forbes and hope he does it but in the meantime I'll fondly remember watching WF cut down the nets twice in a row

Back