• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Quote of the Decade.

One thing this has proven to me is that Wake has the most polite fan base in the country. We have way more of a right to be pissed off than Georgia fans, yet anything about him on Twitter is overwhelmed by angry red people.

I am grateful for Jamie leading us to wins over UNC State and Duke in the same season. I loved watching him play. But I also thought it was a bullshit move for our starting quarterback to transfer the way he did. And this was not a Russell Wilson situation where the coach basically ran him off.

I have no idea if he was going to be the starter or not, but the fact that he wasn't named the starter at the time he left, certainly didn't lead me to believe he was certain to start. I think in retrospect, he was their best option, but maybe Smart didn't think so during spring ball.

Of course he was their best option. And still is listed well inside the Top 10 of NFL QB's for the 2021 draft:

Jamie Newman News QB 6'3½" 229 Georgia 73 #9 QB 96--Todd McShay

7. Jamie Newman, Georgia

It’s the hard truth. Opting out really hurt Newman’s standing in the 2021 quarterback class. Guys like Trask, Wilson and Jones have firmly entrenched themselves ahead of Newman, and don’t be surprised if others hear their name called before Newman come draft day.

While Newman is listed as going to Georgia above, he didn’t actually take a snap for the Bulldogs after transferring there this offseason. He started last year at Wake Forest, where he put himself on the map early in the season with seven straight games that earned 75.0-plus passing grades. From a tools perspective, his arm strength, accuracy and mobility could all be described as “plus” when projecting to the NFL. In Todd Monken’s offense against SEC competition at Georgia, Newman could be doing exactly what Kyle Trask is accomplishing at Florida right now.

Jamie Newman opts-out of 2020 season and declares for the 2021 #NFLDraft. Traits that stick out on his tape:

• Deep ball accuracy and touch
• Placement to the back shoulder
• Frame, strength, and athleticism pic.twitter.com/4tC9RMyu3U

— Brad Kelly (@BradKelly17) September 2, 2020

I am OK with having Jamie in the Senior Bowl as a Deac. After all, his diploma does say "Wake Forest University."

Yes, his departure was not very diplomatic. It is also in Wake's best interest to have him represent Wake in the game and show the Wake colors. He won some good games for Wake. Now he can give Wake a little national publicity.

Good follow-up to the earlier national stories about Nick Andersen and John Wolford. It would be the story of the week if at some time during the '21 NFL season, Wolford and Jamie were starting QBs in a game.

A few tweets about Basham's explosiveness, a bunch about Sage going up and getting it, and plenty on Newman's "arm talent" (whatever the fuck that means, laziest term in sports).

A few tweets about Basham's explosiveness, a bunch about Sage going up and getting it, and plenty on Newman's "arm talent" (whatever the fuck that means, laziest term in sports).

I think somebody is going to get a steal when the draft Sage.

IMHO, "arm talent" is some combination of arm strength and accuracy.

Yeah the write up was basically “wow this guy throws a hella good deep ball”. Not surprising at all to those of us who have watched him play.

Of course he was their best option. And still is listed well inside the Top 10 of NFL QB's for the 2021 draft:

Jamie Newman News QB 6'3½" 229 Georgia 73 #9 QB 96--Todd McShay

7. Jamie Newman, Georgia

It’s the hard truth. Opting out really hurt Newman’s standing in the 2021 quarterback class. Guys like Trask, Wilson and Jones have firmly entrenched themselves ahead of Newman, and don’t be surprised if others hear their name called before Newman come draft day.

While Newman is listed as going to Georgia above, he didn’t actually take a snap for the Bulldogs after transferring there this offseason. He started last year at Wake Forest, where he put himself on the map early in the season with seven straight games that earned 75.0-plus passing grades. From a tools perspective, his arm strength, accuracy and mobility could all be described as “plus” when projecting to the NFL. In Todd Monken’s offense against SEC competition at Georgia, Newman could be doing exactly what Kyle Trask is accomplishing at Florida right now.

Jamie Newman opts-out of 2020 season and declares for the 2021 #NFLDraft. Traits that stick out on his tape:

• Deep ball accuracy and touch
• Placement to the back shoulder
• Frame, strength, and athleticism pic.twitter.com/4tC9RMyu3U

— Brad Kelly (@BradKelly17) September 2, 2020

If you continue to repeat this it will actually become true!

If you continue to repeat this it will actually become true!

People who watched him at Wake saw all of these strengths exhibited multiple times. Considering how little he did at Georgia, it is annoying they get any credit for him.

https://theathletic.com/2347969/2021/01/26/senior-bowl-quarterbacks-mac-jones-carolina-panthers/

Meanwhile, former Wake Forest quarterback Jamie Newman showed off an easy release and had the best-looking throws among the three quarterbacks on the American team, coached by Matt Rhule and the Panthers’ staff.

Newman is one of the more interesting prospects in Mobile, after the North Carolina native opted out at Georgia due to COVID-19 concerns after joining the Bulldogs as a graduate transfer.

Again, it was only one practice — in shorts, helmets and shoulder pads. But Newman jumped out to a good start, and Jones — not so much.

• One more thing on Newman. He was measured this week at 6-2 and 235 pounds — pretty good size, but not the 6-4 listing he had at Wake Forest.

Also says Mac Jones didn’t have a good day

My quote of the week.

Les Johns asked Steve Forbes if he enjoyed not wearing a suit while coaching at games. Forbes reponse..."Do I look like someone who enjoys wearing a suit?!"

Back